Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Any tricks for OOM at FlyTampa Buffalo?

I just got FlyTampa Buffalo and am running very, very tight on memory.  I've reduced the settings (volumetric grass, etc) but I'm getting the dreaded FSUIPC dings.  Any tricks you have that might help?  (I did reduce my slider settings and, of course, that helped but, I'd like to know if there is anything else I can do.)

Also, I don't have Aerosoft Niagara but I do have FTX Global/Vector.

Thanks!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Disable Vector and see how well it all performs. As nice as it is, it's very hard on the system.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I had some issues with it as well when I got it a few years ago as far as stretching my VAS almost to the llimit.

Your not going to like my answer, but if I recall as its been years, I ended up having to resize some of the textures down to 1024 and also converted some of the day time textures for the buildings that didn't have speculars from DXT5 to DXT1. After what I did I now runs like a champ and still looks pretty much the same but doesn't tax my VAS like it did before.

I'd be happy to share all my reworked textures with you, but as you might iimagine, that would be a violation of their EULA.

The only other option if you don't want to fiddle around with resizing is to cut your AI down and also rename the photoreal bgl to .off. Of course you'll lose the photoreal back drop and the autogen and exterior building won't line up with your GEX or Global textures.

Also as Dave mentioned ddisable or lower the Vector settings.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Your not going to like my answer, but if I recall as its been years, I ended up having to resize some of the textures down to 1024 and also converted some of the day time textures for the buildings that didn't have speculars from DXT5 to DXT1. After what I did I now runs like a champ and still looks pretty much the same but doesn't tax my VAS like it did before.

I'd be happy to share all my reworked textures with you, but as you might iimagine, that would be a violation of their EULA.

Wow...that's a bummer.  You'd think that, perhaps, they'd provide reduced textures.  Is it even practical for you to tell me which files you modded? 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Wow...that's a bummer. You'd think that, perhaps, they'd provide reduced textures. Is it even practical for you to tell me which files you modded?

Well, I have the original textures on my old FSX computer and the resized ones on my new FSX computer, but my old FSX computer is boxed up in storage, so I wouldn't be able to compare them.

The easiest way to tell is to just look in the Buffalo texture folder, sort the files by file size, with the largest files at the top, then go from there. A 1024 DXT5 mip mapped texture will show up as 1366 KB, so anything with a file size larger than that is either larger than 1024 or 32bit.

If you resize anything make sure to do the alpha channels separately and if they don't have alpha channels and are day textures you can compress them in DXT1 for further memory savings.

Don't make any light maps DXT1 since they don't render well at night with that compression.

Also make sure to save them with mip maps.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The easiest way to tell is to just look in the Buffalo texture folder, sort the files by file size, with the largest files at the top, then go from there. A 1024 DXT5 mip mapped texture will show up as 1366 KB, so anything with a file size larger than that is either larger than 1024 or 32bit.

If you resize anything make sure to do the alpha channels separately and if they don't have alpha channels and are day textures you can compress them in DXT1 for further memory savings. Also make sure to save them with mip maps.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot in the morning.

Gregg Seipp

Gregg go to post 4. Super easy tutorial. I just converted a bunch of scenery back to 1024 textures

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/464978-how-to-modify-the-landclass-taxi2gate-mmmx/

What about Alpha channels with that tutorial Zoran ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Gregg go to post 4. Super easy tutorial. I just converted a bunch of scenery back to 1024 textures

http://forum.avsim.n...taxi2gate-mmmx/

That's handy.   Of my 'big' airports and haven't had a problem until KBUF.   (I have KTPA, KIAD, KSNA, KSAN, KPHX, and KMCO.)

Gregg Seipp

What about Alpha channels with that tutorial Zoran ?

You got me there, whats an alpha channel?

That's handy.   Of my 'big' airports and haven't had a problem until KBUF.   (I have KTPA, KIAD, KSNA, KSAN, KPHX, and KMCO.)

FSDT and Flight beam are OK on my system as well but I dont have the others you list above

ZORAN

You got me there, whats an alpha channel?

That's what makes some textures reflect or be transparent.

Gregg Seipp

I see. As for as I know it only converts DDS files. Example MMMX v2 has a texture folder consisting of all DDS files and one BMP file.

The BMP file is taken out while the converter tool does it magic and then the BMP file is added back in. I guess that would be the same procedure for all non DDS files

A PM sent to Gregg  in the above link would sort out any issues for sure

ZORAN

Pity, I was thinking about getting this; the screenies look amazing. Looks exactly as it does when I drive by every day. However, if it takes a toll on the system I have to pass.

Pity, I was thinking about getting this; the screenies look amazing. Looks exactly as it does when I drive by every day. However, if it takes a toll on the system I have to pass.

I'll post back what the results are when it's done. 

Gregg Seipp

I optimized the images this morning with Optimizer Textures using default settings.  I then ran with all options turned on except the Aerosoft Niagara compatibility (I don't have that) and sliders full right.  Before optimization VAS had peaked above 4,000 MB.  The highest my VAS got after optimization was just a touch over 3300 MB (usually around 3,100-3,200 MB) with framerates right around 30.  I'm sitting at the terminal and it looks great.  It all looks great.

My thanks to all!

Gregg Seipp