Sign in to follow this  
dbw1

2 P3dV2 installs on same computer?

I've got P3dV2.4 installed and it works well. It's on a traditional 7200 rpm hd. I'm getting a ssd installed tomorrow on which I'd like to install 2.5 now that it seems to have the bugs out of it. is there any problem with installing 2.5 before removing 2.4 from the computer? I plan to buy an additional licence for the 2nd install. I've put a lot of work into building 2.4 and would like to make sure my 2.5 is working fine before I blow off 2.4.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Dave

p3d 2.4 will need to be completely removed before installing 2.5 or you will run into issues,at least i did,and p3d stated that 2.5 needed to be a whole new download and install.

Is it necessary to uninstall individually all ad dons (scenery, pay ware aircraft etc) before uninstalling my P3dV2.4?

I wish to buy the academic version so to have access to Tac-Pac hence the new purchase.

Thanks again.

Yes, UNLESS you intend to place 2.5 in the same location as 2.4. Even then, you are recommended to treat 2.5 as a fresh install - I had to reinstall completely and was glad to do so.

Takes a lot less time than sorting out all the problems afterwards.

The install location of 2.5 will be to a different location ....to a new ssd. So the best removal procedure is to uninstall all add-ons first then remove P3d? Then and only then begin the install of 2.5 to the new location and begin building it once again?

Thanks.

I plan to buy an additional licence for the 2nd install.

If this is the case, you can indeed have both V2.4 and V2.5 on the same computer. I have had P3DV2 since V2.0 (now at V2.5) and recently installed another hard drive to test out Win10 so I bought a one month license for V2.5 and installed it on that drive. Both installations work just fine and are independent of each other.

If you do not go with the second license, then the information that the others have given you is correct - you must uninstall V2.4 before installing V2.5.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Hi Mazo,

Thanks very much for that info. I was hoping this is what could be done.

Thanks very much to all that helped out here.

All the best,

Dave

P3d "knows" when there are two versions on one pc and will not open........been there, done that.

the best option for both versions is too dual boot 2 versions of windows, windows 7 and 2.4 for instance and windows 10 and 2.5 on another, and its really not all that hard.

If this is the case, you can indeed have both V2.4 and V2.5 on the same computer. I have had P3DV2 since V2.0 (now at V2.5) and recently installed another hard drive to test out Win10 so I bought a one month license for V2.5 and installed it on that drive. Both installations work just fine and are independent of each other.

If you do not go with the second license, then the information that the others have given you is correct - you must uninstall V2.4 before installing V2.5.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

How does that work with the Appdata and Program data files? Don't they go to the same place? Seems it would cause problems even with two licenses.

The install location of 2.5 will be to a different location ....to a new ssd. So the best removal procedure is to uninstall all add-ons first then remove P3d? Then and only then begin the install of 2.5 to the new location and begin building it once again?

That's exactly what I did before installing V2.5 to a new SSD. Went smoothly and worth it despite having to freshly install all addons again.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I'm using only one o/s...Windows7.

You *might* get away with it if you installed as a different user account. The problem is the registry entries will get screwed up.

If you create a separate partition AND dual boot to that partition, it will work but in the same boot partition - no.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors