Sign in to follow this  
Haza

ADF Dip

Hello,

Is it possible for the 737 to replicate ADF dip- or does the 737 in real life not suffer from this?

Regards

H

Hi

Is this the error caused by banking the Aircraft? If the Aircraft banks, the antenna is tilted and thus resulting in a shift phase of the received signal. In the Case of the VOR this causes an Azimuth Error which is corrected by a Vertical Polarizer.

If my guess is correct and ADF dip means in fact the issue mentioned above, then I would argue that these errors are corrected in a similiar way, so that you shouldnt experience ADF dips in modern aircraft.

I hope I am not totally wrong :)

Is it possible for the 737 to replicate ADF dip- or does the 737 in real life not suffer from this?

Not sure about dip, but I do know that noise was added to the signal, as the base signal from the sim is too clean. You'll definitely see it hunting.

Kyle Rodgers

Its seems too stationary, the real needle and ADF signals are variable- I suppose this is difficult to replicate.

Its seems too stationary, the real needle and ADF signals are variable- I suppose this is difficult to replicate.

Yeah. I know some noise was added, but remember, FSX doesn't exactly have a wave propagation and attenuation simulation. Terrain path following, EMI, lightning strikes, temperature variations, passengers sneezing and so on have no effect in the sim.

Kyle Rodgers

AD what?

haha - exactly. Most of the local flight schools here don't even train ADF approaches anymore. There aren't many around here, though I know my alma mater still has one on their field.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm grey and bald enough to have earned my instrument rating when the ADF was still pretty common and I do not ever recall having to anticipate the needle advancing or regressing in a banked turn enough to notice.... good grief, it was rare enough to turn into a corrective heading to freeze the dang thing.  It was all about trends.

Dan Downs KCRP

I used to do them in the SAAB, but never in the 737 that I recall. Maybe an overlay.

Matt Cee

Most regional airports in Australia only have NDBs and RNAV approaches. It's also a significant part of the instrument rating and navigation aid requirements.

I'm grey and bald enough to have earned my instrument rating when the ADF was still pretty common and I do not ever recall having to anticipate the needle advancing or regressing in a banked turn enough to notice.... good grief, it was rare enough to turn into a corrective heading to freeze the dang thing. It was all about trends.

We use the G1000 at our flight training school and even with that we get a dip in a turn, we lead by 10 degrees.

haha - exactly. Most of the local flight schools here don't even train ADF approaches anymore

Wish we didn't have to....! Part of the IR exam. NDB are more common in the UK than the US I have found and be told.

Lots up in Canada as well, although one or two usually get decommissioned every couple of months.

GPS approaches are the future and usually have similar or even lower minimums.

All Canadian aircraft should have ADF receivers as they are crucial for listening to hockey broadcasts.