Sign in to follow this  
mike stryczek

bugs reports

East of EDNY and west of EDMK there is a rift running through the ccontinent :-)

East of EDNY and west of EDMK there is a rift running through the ccontinent :-)

I took a good look and I didn't see anything. We've had issues with rifts before but we think we patched them all out. I don't see a rift here in the patched or unpatched version.

Can you provide a screenshot with coordinates?

There's an anomaly on the Australian east coast that runs quite a distance.

S34 42.21 E150 00.11

image.php?di=4EB9

image.php?di=GATW

Thanks.

Ottor,

Thanks so much for pointing that out! I have to say its been comical discovering these anomalies along the way!

We'll look into it!

Indeed, there are a few repeating bugs on that 150 deg meridian that I am still trying to figure out why they're present. Those tiles are no different than the others but yet the FSX engine produces a seam at times where there shouldn't be any.

Working on a solution!

I'm still not understanding why there is a data rift along that meridian. I've checked the source data and the compiled data, and both show data existing where it should it be all along that line. I'm really puzzled. I'm afraid this is some kind of FSX terrain rendering bug.

NLlU6rT.png

What's strange is that this rift fills in when I overfly it, but when I move away from it, it opens back up. And when the meridian intersects a road, you get those weird pit anomalies. I really would like to get to the bottom of this issue, but I feel this is some sort of rendering issue within the simulator that perhaps shows its face when a tile boundary occurs along this meridian.

I wonder if I had compiled the data into different size tiles instead of 10 deg x deg, would we have this rendering issue? Something I will have to test.

Working on a brute force method that may fix this.

Just FYI, I have the FS Global mesh, and it too has problems on the 150E meridian (and 135 for that matter, maybe others too). When approaching the meridian I can see wall-like structures extending to the horizons, which then partly disappear (but not completely) as I get closer. I wonder if it isn't FSX (or P3D in my case) which is causing these artifacts, and not the meshes themselves.

Well, I have a rather crude solution that just replaces all tiles along the meridian with the exact same data, and the rifts disappear completely. I'll be taking my time to find which meridians are giving us trouble, and then release these in the 1.04 patch.

Sure do appreciate you sticking with this, it's a fine free product!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

What's strange is that this rift fills in when I overfly it, but when I move away from it, it opens back up. And when the meridian intersects a road, you get those weird pit anomalies. I really would like to get to the bottom of this issue, but I feel this is some sort of rendering issue within the simulator that perhaps shows its face when a tile boundary occurs along this meridian.

It might have to do with the missing lower LODs that are displayed in the distance. Maybe, the terrain engine samples the mesh just between data points and produces erroneous -32768 m data?

I suspect, with a precompiled multi LOD mesh these problems could be avoided (but it would further increase the download volume :( ).

Another approach to find out what's wrong would be testing different LOD resolution and radius settings in FSX.

It might have to do with the missing lower LODs that are displayed in the distance. Maybe, the terrain engine samples the mesh just between data points and produces erroneous -32768 m data?

I suspect, with a precompiled multi LOD mesh these problems could be avoided (but it would further increase the download volume :( ).

Another approach to find out what's wrong would be testing different LOD resolution and radius settings in FSX.

Well, FreeMeshX meshes are all multi-LOD. There is a pattern in the problem in that it repeats its self every 30 degrees of longitude in just the eastern hemisphere. I've patched about all of it up, but I'm still testing to see if this problem exists elsewhere.

Another anomaly (found in Ethiopia - N10°47.33 : E39°59.34)

2015_6_19_17_54_22_847.jpg

Thanks once more for your nice (free) product.

Gérard

Another anomaly (found in Ethiopia - N10°47.33 : E39°59.34)

2015_6_19_17_54_22_847.jpg

Thanks once more for your nice (free) product.

Gérard

Oh silly me! I know why this one has a problem, and it's an easy fix. There a few of these in Asia I fixed for 1.03, but I forgot some of them exist in Africa as well. Adding to the todo list for patch 1.04.