Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Some questions about SIMstarter

I just started using SIMstarter and, I have to say, it's great.  Splitting up my scenery alone has saved substantial VAS and load time.  

Some questions:

• After I start FSX with SIMstarter once, can I just double click on FSX to load the last configuration used by SIMstarter?  E.g. it will use the same settings from the last run?
  • If I add a new scenery (e.g. UTX2 or an airport), how do I add it to the scenery sets?
  • What is the best use of the Master scenery?  Is that for all of your base scenery (Orbx Global, UTX, etc.) or is it for the master list of all the scenery you own?
  • If I have a scenery in two different scenery sets and load both, does SIMstarter sort it out and only put one copy of the scenery in my config?
  • When I selected restart Aero after FSX started, nothing happened and I had to do it manually.  Is there a trick or some setting in the OS I need to make?
  • I'm getting a "Sim already started" error but FSX isn't running.  How do I clear it?

Thanks,

Gregg 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

One more thing...

I was reading through Chris Bell's thread on optimizing Night Environment...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/469367-flight-simulation-and-optimizing-night-time-flights/

...and I'm wondering if there's a simple way to set up a 'night setting' and a 'day setting' that I can switch between.  For example, what I'm doing is breaking up my scenery into Eastern US, Western US, Europe, etc.  Then I might choose 'Day' or 'Night' depending on the time of day I was predominantly flying.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Here's a pic of the latest bond girl...just to keep this lonely post company...

[ Picture removed by Capt. PERO ]

Gregg Seipp

ha ha you can see my avatar wolf whistling

You have no answers because they are good questions that I suspect a lot of us would like to know the answers to

here is what I think i might know

1.Fsx  should always start as you left it but best to check the fsx.cfg just to be sure

2.There is a button to the far right in the scenery section that says "add scenery" although somehow my scenery just adds itself...no idea why that is

3. Master scenery is all of your scenery in the master profile . I keep that as all available scenery I have

4. dont know about that one

5. My aero is always on with that option ticked

6.FSX in parts can continue running after it appears to be off and not showing anywhere under "processes" in the task manager. Im having issues with FSX-SE where I get the same message. The only solution for me is to re start windows

ZORAN

ha ha you can see my avatar wolf whistling

You have no answers because they are good questions that I suspect a lot of us would like to know the answers to

here is what I think i might know

1.Fsx should always start as you left it but best to check the fsx.cfg just to be sure

2.There is a button to the far right in the scenery section that says "add scenery" although somehow my scenery just adds itself...no idea why that is

3. Master scenery is all of your scenery in the master profile . I keep that as all available scenery I have

4. dont know about that one

5. My aero is always on with that option ticked

6.FSX in parts can continue running after it appears to be off and not showing anywhere under "processes" in the task manager. Im having issues with FSX-SE where I get the same message. The only solution for me is to re start windows

Thanks Zoran,

Ya, she's a keeper. 

I bought a scenery and, ya, it seemed to add it to all the scenery sets.  I just removed it from the ones for which it didn't apply.  In terms of Aero, perhaps I need to start SimStarter as Admin.  I hope I can come up with an easy way to do the Day/Night thing.  I got NightEnvironment California and that was a wow moment but I have to turn down/off some things I don't need at night.  My feeling is that it would be nice to have a screen where you pick Scenery Sets, Config Mode (Day/Night/Other) and press Start.  But I'm still learning how to use it so there is that too!  :)

Gregg Seipp

I just started using SIMstarter and, I have to say, it's great.  Splitting up my scenery alone has saved substantial VAS and load time.  

Some questions:

1. After I start FSX with SIMstarter once, can I just double click on FSX to load the last configuration used by SIMstarter?  E.g. it will use the same settings from the last run?
  2. If I add a new scenery (e.g. UTX2 or an airport), how do I add it to the scenery sets?
  3. What is the best use of the Master scenery?  Is that for all of your base scenery (Orbx Global, UTX, etc.) or is it for the master list of all the scenery you own?
  4. If I have a scenery in two different scenery sets and load both, does SIMstarter sort it out and only put one copy of the scenery in my config?
  5. When I selected restart Aero after FSX started, nothing happened and I had to do it manually.  Is there a trick or some setting in the OS I need to make?
  6. I'm getting a "Sim already started" error but FSX isn't running.  How do I clear it?

Hi Gregg,

Zoran did answer most of the questions already. I just would like to add my 5 cents:

4) The logic of the SceneryManager is to disable selected Scenerys. If you combine two ScenerySets they need to have the same Scenerys but should be different by Active or Inactive Scenerys (otherwise it wouldn't make sense). If you have two ScenerySets all Scenerys becomes Active if at least one ScenerySet has set it to Actice.

I am using it that way: Creating different ScenerySets for:

- Basic Scenery

- FTX Global

- Germany VFR

- Germany IFR

- Rest Europe

- Night Environement Germany

- Night Environement France

At each of this ScenerySet I just leave the relevant Scenerys = Active, all others to Inactive.

If I combine them they will bring me the result that I need for each profile. Example profile02 is VFR Germany, I selected Base Scenery, FTX Global, Germany VFR.

I am working on a very improved SceneryManager (see preview which makes it clear) which will make handling of it much, much easier. There will be a YouTube video following...

5) Try starting SIMstarter with Administrator right. That is a OS operation and need to have sufficient user rights

6) This error is searching for a running FSX.exe or PREPAR3D.exe. If you are using a MigrationTool with PREPAR3D he will find a dummy FSX.exe

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

5) Try starting SIMstarter with Administrator right. That is a OS operation and need to have sufficient user rights

I was going to guess that.  I did try to start as admin to give it a try but my scenery sets (which I created not as admin) disappeared when I did that.  Restarting without being admin brought them back.  Any idea why it would do that?

Gregg Seipp

Pero,

Is there a way to get the profiles I created when I was running it NOT as admin to be available when I run as admin?  Simstarter doesn't find them when I run as admin.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp