Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Windows 10 reservations now available for Win 7 and 8 users!

Any of you notice the little Windows icon in your taskbar??

post-254482-0-88765300-1433130303.png

Upon clicking the icon, you see this:

post-254482-0-22070700-1433130333.png

MS just started pushing this reservation thing to all Win 7 and 8.1 users today, around 9PM GMT -6. Any of you get it? Are you reserving your Win 10?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

They're doing what they can to finally get as many people on one version of Windows as possible, which I can't really say is a bad thing. As someone who has a decent understanding of software development, having so many different possible OS versions and configurations can make compatibility a big pain (which can mean using older libraries, limiting functionality and features of what you're making).

It was a concern early on that Windows 10 would become a subscription service after the first year, but judging by the fact that Newegg leaked the price for Windows 10 Home ($109) and Professional ($149), it's probably safe to say that they're actually doing the unthinkable - a completely free upgrade as advertized. One question I've still yet to see them answer is, what if one wants to do a fresh install? Only time will tell, I guess.

I've been using the Insider Preview build of 10 for a couple of months now and things seem to be going really well. They actually listen to and acknowledge feedback that their users give. For example, many asked for transparency/blur on the start menu, and they ended up adding both.

win10_desktop2.png

The gray is simply my system color. The taskbar and start menu can be any of the available preset colors. Yes, I'm boring. :)

Here's a quick screenshot of what the UI currently looks like. Future builds will be aimed more at small refinements than new feature additions, so there will probably be some additional visual refinements between now and the RTM. As can be seen, the start menu is a nice combination between the classic 7 style menu, with the grouping and organization of 8, which is actually quite useful. Universal Apps are resizable, normal windows now and are integrated almost seamlessly (as opposed to full screen as in 8/8.1).

I've got FSX:SE running as my primary sim. I've got a number of aircraft addons running and no issues with them, either. I did notice that right before upgrading to a new build of the Preview, I was having inconsistent joystick usability (when launching FSX, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't), but this only happened right before an update, not from the release of the previous version, so I'm willing to bet it's an issue with my system in particular, which I'll be investigating more for sure (and I think I know what's causing it). Minus that, joystick reliability has been great. No disconnects at all while in-flight. Performance has also been stellar. Seems about on-par with what 8.1 was like (though I've not done any actual benchmarking).

Brandon Filer

I see the icon but, before I click on it, I want to know, if I don't like Windows 10, can I revert to my Windows 7?

Dugald Walker

This inane icon won't go away even after completing the reservation. I've checked msconfig and services management both to no avail. I'm sure I could uninstall the windows update that preceded the reservation service but then I'll just get a windows update notification... Incredible...

This inane icon won't go away even after completing the reservation. I've checked msconfig and services management both to no avail. I'm sure I could uninstall the windows update that preceded the reservation service but then I'll just get a windows update notification... Incredible...

Read the link i posted. instructions first post

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Some more 'terms&conditions' seem to be available für Win10. Has anyone seen a complete WinX EULA or something to such an extent?

EDIT:

A pretty good article, IMO, on what a change to WinX can achieve and what not:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2914152/microsoft-windows/windows-10-wont-save-the-pc.html

Edited by olli4740

I see the icon but, before I click on it, I want to know, if I don't like Windows 10, can I revert to my Windows 7?

There is a function to revert, but I havent tried it and havent found anything about possible bugs, so I cant guarenty that it doesnt leave traces that might cause issues.

But I've been running Win10 10122 and 10130 over the past week and it took me a few days to get things right, but on my system it seems to run pretty well.

Cheers!

Maarten

Greg,

Right click the notification area, then open the notification Customization. Find the Windows logo, then change it to Never show icons or notifications.

I've got FSX:SE running as my primary sim. I've got a number of aircraft addons running and no issues with them, either. I did notice that right before upgrading to a new build of the Preview, I was having inconsistent joystick usability (when launching FSX, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't), but this only happened right before an update, not from the release of the previous version, so I'm willing to bet it's an issue with my system in particular, which I'll be investigating more for sure (and I think I know what's causing it). Minus that, joystick reliability has been great. No disconnects at all while in-flight. Performance has also been stellar. Seems about on-par with what 8.1 was like (though I've not done any actual benchmarking).

Have you tried regular FSX Gold Edition by any chance?

Edited by linux731

I've got FSX:SE running as my primary sim. I've got a number of aircraft addons running and no issues with them, either.

I'm been polling Win10 trial users with this question - do you happen to own/use the Level-D 767, and if so, is it functional under Windows 10?

I'm asking because the (LevD 767 + FSX + Windows 8/8.1) results in a big hot mess. 'Ya never know what can happen with compatibility, so it might suddenly be working again.

Cheers,

-Greg

I blocked that KB update from installing, so no, don't have the icon.  On one machine I am using media center on win 8, so won't  ever upgrade that one.  I would rather do a clean install than upgrade on win 7, so as for now I won't be reserving any win 10.

scott s.

Microsoft just released a wealth of information on their website. The confirmed release date is July 29, 2015.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/windows-10-faq

No information about reinstallations or how to revert back to Windows 7/8.1.

I will call MS in a few and let you all know what they say.

Greg,

Right click the notification area, then open the notification Customization. Find the Windows logo, then change it to Never show icons or notifications.

Have you tried regular FSX Gold Edition by any chance?

I think I may have tried it briefly a few months back, but I didn't test it for long. You'll have to let someone else answer that, though I imagine it wouldn't be a much different experience than with SE.

I'm been polling Win10 trial users with this question - do you happen to own/use the Level-D 767, and if so, is it functional under Windows 10?

I'm asking because the (LevD 767 + FSX + Windows 8/8.1) results in a big hot mess. 'Ya never know what can happen with compatibility, so it might suddenly be working again.

Cheers,

-Greg

I do not have the 767, sorry! I've not come across any incompatible addons as of yet, but I also don't run too terribly many of them.

Brandon Filer

Okay, I just got off the phone with MS support... The guy barely knew what Windows 10 was, so I cannot say that his predictions are accurate. He said that after the release date, you will not be able to redownload or reinstall Windows 10... Not sure how much sense that makes...?

Also, I just read on the MS website that if you upgrade from 7 Home Premium/8.1 Pro, Windows Media Centre will be removed. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Another feature that will be removed, which I hate the most, is that if you are upgrading from 7 Home Premium/8.1 non-Pro, you will be upgraded to 10 Home, which DOES NOT allow you to make Windows Updates optional, or at least, non-automatic. This is really frustrating!

Looks like a clean install is not possible: The question was asked by a win 8 user, so I assume this also applies to win 7

"

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview is much appreciated.

If you will do a factory reset then you will have to upgrade to 8.1 first and then only you will be able to install Windows 10. To install Windows 10, you should have Windows 8.1 installed on your computer.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards
Annu Singh
Microsoft Support Engineer