Sign in to follow this  
rfelger

Windows 10 compatibility

Greetings, although months away from release I received a message through Windows 7 that a free upgrade to windows 10 will be downloaded when ready. Just curious if anyone knows anything as far as possible compatibility issues with PMDG & FSX & if its worth upgrading.

Thanks!

UPS123.png

Just curious if anyone knows anything as far as possible compatibility issues with PMDG & FSX & if its worth upgrading.

Some have gotten it to work, however, it is a currently unsupported use.

Kyle Rodgers

I just noticed that piece of spam in my taskbar, Microsoft is so eager to have a successful OS again that they are hijacking our computers with their spam and offering "free" upgrades to Windows 10 (after general announcement for the RTM).  They seem to go out of their way to antagonize their customers; oh yes, the enterprise editions of Windows 7 do not get the spam because they really don't want to antagonize IT departments, who rarely accepted Windows 8 and some of which are just now moving from XP to Windows 7.

Don't click on it... it only encourages Microsoft in pursuing this intrusive advertising.

It can be removed with control panel, remove Window update KB3035583 and reboot.  We'll probably have to do that several times because they marked it "Recommended" for automatic installation by their update process.

Dan Downs KCRP

You could duel-boot you're computer so you have two operating systems on there. You're current version of Windows and Windows 10. That way you can boot it up and try it out. Get hold of the early-release copies of Windows 10 that are available. They are not "finished" versions, as it where, but free for you to try.

They seem to go out of their way to antagonize their customers; oh yes, the enterprise editions of Windows 7 do not get the spam because they really don't want to antagonize IT departments, who rarely accepted Windows 8 and some of which are just now moving from XP to Windows 7.

Most of the people I have worked with since W8 came out in IT where running W8, unless they just couldn't be bothered to update their computer. Moving users is more difficult, but IT departments long moved from what my experience. Also, the update is pointless for users in a company since they have no control over what version of Windows they are running (other then very specific requests)

All purely anecdotal Chris.

I do not know of a professional engineering company that bought into Windows 8.  It is possible to obtain products compatible with Windows 8 such as AutoDesk but I cannot imagine using a touch screen on a professional workstation (sounds like something Hollywood does on NCIS: Los Angeles).  My knowledge is limited to the Texas petrochemical industry so there's someone out their designing with touchscreens but not in this area.

Dan Downs KCRP

The only touchscreen devices I have is two tablets. One on W8 and another using Android. However, in all the desktops and laptops I've used with W8, they not touchscreen and has no affect them not being touchscreen. However, W8 runs a lot faster and I find far more stable then W7. Maybe that's just my opinion on it, but one I've heard echo'd from other parts. The boot-up is especially faster, to name one.

You can happily use W8 with a standard monitor and you probably wouldn't use it any differently to if you had a touchscreen monitor. But, a desktop roll out is a huge project for any company. One that requires budget, time and resource. Many IT departments find lots of other projects they feel are more worthwhile, then a 6 month desktop roll out. However, that's not necessary because W8 is worse then W7.

In my last company we had 1200 UK staff. The desktop support department was stretched as it was, without that huge project and the small amount of training some users would require. That is pretty a-typical. There was some noise to upgrade to W8 from some quarters, but other then some stability, performance and security features, it was decided not worthwhile for the moment. You find companies usually upgrade every other version. A desktop machine has around a 3 year lifecycle, but often this is pushed further depending on the user. I think we'll find more companies going down the W10 route

Thanks guys, I'll probably just wait till windows ten is proven to work well with fsx and pmdg, then I'll upgrade, till then, I'll stick with Windows seven.

UPS123.png

I do know one YouTuber who is using P3D with W10, Matt Davies, but there are many other problems such as device drivers etc that are unknown, between yours and his configuration. Waiting is a good option, see what people report back when it's released. You always have early adopters, I know I'll probably jump in early with this one

There's much more to Win8.1 and 10 than a tiles and touch interface.

I never boot to metro tiles or use apps, find them to be horrible.

The only issue I had with Win10 was with the OPUS addon. I might have been able to find a work around with their help but decided to go back to 8.1 as 10 is still a moving target. Soon !  :-)

I am a little surprised at the somewhat negative attitudes to the forthcoming untried Windows 10 of some contributors.

I am pretty sure that between now and, say, the end of this year we will get a lot of feedback from the early adopters and vendor testers. Until we start to hear their views, I am ready to maintain a positive expectation for W10. After all, Microsoft have learnt by the school of hard knocks how not to develop what users said that they didn't want.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I was also under the impression that not a huge amount of work has been done to the core OS, more trying to tie together some of the features attempted in W8, to be better and more rounded. There are some nights features in W10, none of them really affecting gaming. They are also unifying their platform so it's more similar for phones, tablets, computers, Xboxes etc. This again doesn't really effect desktop computers on the whole, however it does allow developers to more easily create applications to run across the whole Windows estate. W8 has some nice features, however some where maybe rushed out the door. Reports I've read suggest it's what W8 should have been if it was finished on time. Overall though, W8 is very stable.

So that being said, I'm not expecting any real issues from the applications I currently use since, as I said, not a huge amount of changes under the hood. Virtual desktops are included, overall better UI including snapping, task view, start menu, Edge is included (IE replacement) and a big search improvement. So, a lot is about usability and making it more feature rich, not so much big core operating system changes. To me that sounds right, I can't say I have any issues with W8, but the newer UI does look better and more polished. I did hear they resolved the joystick disconnect issue as well. I really think we'll see the most improvement from small devices and tablets, as well as any phones running W10. They showed a really fantastic feature of connecting a phone to a monitor with bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The phone detected that you now want a more desktop view, so change the view on the monitor to a full desktop with Excel. It was pretty incredible. But...none of this will change gaming or simming

none of this will change gaming or simming

DirectX 12 will provide some pretty good improvements to new games. And it will change simming when P3D starts using DX12.

I am happy with windows 7 and have no reason to switch. If however brave souls do test it out and run it successfully with P3D and a large portion of available add ons I might consider trying it. I would rather not try to fix something that isn't broke. I made the leap from XP to windows 7 on recommendations from people who I trust. I will do the same here if they come to a similar conclusion.

Richie Walsh

Windows 10 works fine with my PMDG products when treated in a similar way to 8.1 (Installation in separate folder to Program files, run as admin etc etc - things even Windows 7 users should be doing.)

Windows 10 will be the primary edition of Windows going forward, our company has already roadmapped moving all of our clients to this OS within 1 year of release date of July 29th 2015. Very few of the specialized software vendors have put up a fight and most are well on their way to "official" support.

Windows 10 is planned to be incrementally updated behind the scenes and thus may be the final "major" version of Windows, henceforth, developers will need to ensure their products work with the latest updates on an ongoing basis. (There will be options in the business versions to delay the deployment of certain updates for a period of time)

When P3D goes DX12 only, you will be forced to upgrade. And it is for the best. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-why-directx-12-is-a-gamechanger

I am a little surprised at the somewhat negative attitudes to the forthcoming untried Windows 10 of some contributors.
Agreed. Even Windows 8 is a very good OS at a technical level if you can overlook the poorly thought out GUI. Compare 8 and vista - which would you have?

I just noticed that piece of spam in my taskbar, Microsoft is so eager to have a successful OS again that they are hijacking our computers with their spam and offering "free" upgrades to Windows 10 (after general announcement for the RTM).  They seem to go out of their way to antagonize their customers; oh yes, the enterprise editions of Windows 7 do not get the spam because they really don't want to antagonize IT departments, who rarely accepted Windows 8 and some of which are just now moving from XP to Windows 7.

Don't click on it... it only encourages Microsoft in pursuing this intrusive advertising.

It can be removed with control panel, remove Window update KB3035583 and reboot.  We'll probably have to do that several times because they marked it "Recommended" for automatic installation by their update process.

Dan, I have a great deal of respect for you and am a bit saddened to see that you are considering MS's offering as spam. If you already have Win 7, 8, 8.1, what's the harm in offering a free upgrade to 10? Would you say the same about Apple, when you go into the store, a nice big advert for Yosemite for example? I think that Microsoft has \ is re-inventing itself under the leadership of Satya Nadella and recovering from the crazy mess left by Ballmer et al. Offering this update free is a good sign of faith for all those who rue the day they got Win 8.x and hated it - it IS what 8.x should have been and offering it free is a good way of giving a little back to the users. If you really hate MS and Windows so much, why use there products? If it was not for MS and Windows, I am not sure Avsim would even be around let alone PMDG etc. (Yes I realize there are other platforms but none come close to Windows \ FSX \ P3D combo.

Thanks guys, I'll probably just wait till windows ten is proven to work well with fsx and pmdg, then I'll upgrade, till then, I'll stick with Windows seven.
A very sensible choice. Even I don't usually just jump in the deep end with new releases. Just don't write them off entirely as some would have us do.

it is a currently unsupported use.
A fact that I hope will change to "supported" at some point after release. (Obviously PMDG can't support a pre-release product)

I just don't see how encouraging Win 7 going forward will be sustainable - go into major retailers and it is difficult to find Win 8 Pro - downgrade Win 7 Pro computers at a normal retail level.

Greetings, although months away from release
Windows 10 is planned for release on JULY 29 2015. - http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245