Sign in to follow this  
twojastara

A question for X-Plane users here

They've been saying they are "coming" for over 2 years!

Pretty much the same process as when they develop for FSX or P3D. Why would this take any less time? Do you not expect them to follow through with the DC-6?

NAX669.png

Pretty much the same process as when they develop for FSX or P3D. Why would this take any less time? Do you not expect them to follow through with the DC-6?

I learned a LONG time ago, that with X-Plane "anything", one shouldn't "expect" much...

Things come, things go, things get announced and never show....Austin's mood turns and we get a feature, he's not interested in ones we want so we never get them.....

on and on and on...

But the USA doesn't have that stuff for some reason. So I'm stuck with poor landclass adaptation over here.

Haven't tried anywhere else but San Francisco appears to. XP and Orbx shown both at full on with the sliders. P3D OOM'd after about 20 mins flying around though which is a shame as was enjoying the A2A Cherokee! :huh:

2015-6-4_17-0-26-46.jpg

2015-6-4_17-2-38-140.jpg

Car_B1900D_18.jpg

Car_B1900D_21.jpg

Excellent job cherry picking an example I guess?

Don't know why you are so negative - I have not been negative about P3D I have been very fair in all my comments - someone has asked a question and we should give him warts and all - I fly VFR in GA most of the time in the sims as that is what I do in RL so I have less issues with XP10 than those that want the other stuff that XP is not so good at . The UK is (in my opinion) unbeatbale in XP10 for VFR and I use the sim to practice and it has helped tremendously.

I did not cherry pick - it is an area I fy a lot because of the amount of good airports and scenery available - I watch the videos on You Tube of a guy called Jerry W and I try to recreate his flights (his last one was fun he came in to KOAK under IFR on top of a cloud base and broke out on ILS 28 I think, but then veered off onto 33 at the last moment - next one to recreate). I happened to download the W2XP for the 4 regions of the USA last week but have only flown this area at the moment - but happy to do some more testing of ther areas if you like. I am sure there are lots that won't work.

The shots do show what is possibe though when the right data is available - that should be lauded not ridiculed I would have thought.

cheers

Peter

Don't know why you are so negative

Hi Peter - Not being negative but your missing the point I'm making.

We all know there are extremely isolated cases of "good data" for something like w2xp to work with - That's not what we're talking about.

The reason XP is falling short for many of us is that there is "only good data for isolated situations".

that should be lauded not ridiculed I would have thought.

I guess it's exciting if it happens to fall in an area you fly in a lot?

For the rest of us, I'm just not sure of the value of these screen caps of "dense, super popular area X" that happens to have good OSM data to show "what's possible".

I think most of us know what's possible for XP.

That's the problem with XP - Everything is always "coming soon" or "right around the corner" or "with the right tools, x and y can happen, but not z", etc

I've just been with the XP train literally forever it feels like (definitely more than a decade), and my life is going by while we're all "waiting for what's possible with XP"

(assuming Austin gets excited about the same things the rest of us hope for that is...)

Hi Peter - Not being negative but your missing the point I'm making.

We all know there are extremely isolated cases of "good data" for something like w2xp to work with - That's not what we're talking about.

The reason XP is falling short for many of us is that there is "only good data for isolated situations".

I guess it's exciting if it happens to fall in an area you fly in a lot?

For the rest of us, I'm just not sure of the value of these screen caps of "dense, super popular area X" that happens to have good OSM data to show "what's possible".

I think most of us know what's possible for XP.

That's the problem with XP - Everything is always "coming soon" or "right around the corner" or "with the right tools, x and y can happen, but not z", etc

I've just been with the XP train literally forever it feels like (definitely more than a decade), and my life is going by while we're all "waiting for what's possible with XP"

(assuming Austin gets excited about the same things the rest of us hope for that is...)

These folks that are showing screen shots of X plane with this fantastic looking scenery everywhere  must be living in a parallel universe, because it is something I have never seen. Look at the 15 minute demo X plane gives a prospective purchaser,  ( which is an insult to anyone's intelligence in itself ) , and they pick one of the nicest default scenery areas they have in the entire program. Fly away from there, and it loses altitude pretty quickly, and you can't get very far away in 15 minutes of flying which is probably what they are counting on. :)  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

These folks that are showing screen shots of X plane with this fantastic looking scenery everywhere  must be living in a parallel universe, because it is something I have never seen. 

Man, have you ever heard of opticians...they do miracle. There is none so blind as he who will not see. Enjoy your sim but do not pretend others are stupid because you have different taste...

Man, have you ever heard of opticians...they do miracle. There is none so blind as he who will not see. Enjoy your sim but do not pretend others are stupid because you have different taste...

Easy!

He probably doesn't have much third party scenery.  This is the difference between FSX/XP10 community.  I've found people are more willing to help you locate addons for FSX than XP10.  I was pretty much on my own with XP10 until a nice guy from LES spent an hour or two helping me just configure my sim.  It took a lot more tweaking, and forum perusing on multiple sites to get XP10 going really well.  

There's a learning curve on XP10, moreseo than FSX imo.  XP10 is a more "techy" sim than FSX... feels like installing Linux OS on a dual boot windows system.

As for the cherry picking....  yeah it kinda was...  I'm talking about outside of big cities where there's no addons.  For instance, KDLH where I work air traffic.... kinda boring in XP10.  Landlcass wise looks better in FSX if you use addons like GEX/UTX.  Though I did note the red obstacle lighting in XP10 at night was great.  Oh well both sims look different in those pics.  I can't really tell you which one looks better.... they simply look different.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

None of these sims in their default states is appealing. That's why there are adding scenery developers.

NAX669.png

None of these sims in their default states is appealing. That's why there are adding scenery developers.

That is true, although XP-10 comes at least with accurate shore lines and up to date OSM data. I find it quite annoying in P3D that they chose to keep the legacy FSX/ESP vector data. Even FS9's shore lines looked much better which is already 12 years ago...  :wacko:

P3D OOM'd after about 20 mins flying around though which is a shame as was enjoying the A2A Cherokee!

I must be unbelievably lucky. I have ORBX Global, Vector, NCA, and PNW flying for hours doing FSE jobs in various A2As, RealAir B60T, and Flight 1 B200 and never once OOMed....ever.

I truly enjoy XP for the things it does well, but I have to agree with TurbineSeaplane. Waiting on the promise of what XP "could be" to be fulfilled is growing old even for the most patient among us. No sour grapes, though. You just take it for what it is, be thankful for all the magnificent free content that a lot of talented people have given to the XP community, and have fun.

Chris

and never once OOMed....ever.

Me either.  I only fly GA, maybe that's it?

Loaded to the max on Orbx and Carenado/RealAir stuff, running 4k, but never had a single OOM - Must be the guys flying heavies?

Also agree that there are no sour grapes - I have both installed and check into XPX every now and then.  Just have a more complete experience in P3D right now.

I've seen what it looks like out the windscreen of a  real aircraft, which I have flown for over 30 years, and if you think that looks like what X plane shows someone, you are the one that needs your eyes examined. 

Me either.  I only fly GA, maybe that's it?

Loaded to the max on Orbx and Carenado/RealAir stuff, running 4k, but never had a single OOM - Must be the guys flying heavies?

Also agree that there are no sour grapes - I have both installed and check into XPX every now and then.  Just have a more complete experience in P3D right now.

Never had a OOM  yet either . Guess I must be doing something wrong.  LOL

Going back to the OP.s question, if someone is "really" curious about whether or not they would like a simulator, the only way to really find out is to buy it and fly it for awhile. After all, it is only around $60. If you don't like it, uninstall it and chalk it up to experience. Asking someone else if you would like it or not, is worthless in my opinion, because what one person likes, another would hate. I know people that like flying Cessnas and hate Piper Aircraft, and vice versa. Same with simulators You can see it on this thread, nobody agrees, different strokes for different folks. At least P3D gives you a couple of months to try it out versus 15 minutes. That should tell you something right there. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I've seen what it looks like out the windscreen of a  real aircraft, which I have flown for over 30 years, and if you think that looks like what X plane shows someone, you are the one that needs your eyes examined. 

I love opinions like this....one based on lots and lots of real world experience.

Bravo