Sign in to follow this  
blacksmith98

Question about Purchasing

Right, so I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. You see, I've been planning on buying the PMDG 737NGX, however I'm not sure if my computer can handle it. That's not the only problem, as I can't install FSX SP2 because I apparently don't have the English version of FSX (I know I do). I don't really know what to do at this point. I've been searching, and I still can't find a working solution to this problem. This is the main reason I'm reluctant to buy the add-on. $70 is a lot to spend on something I don't even know will work. Is there some workaround for this?

Hewlett-Packard

Processor: AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.20 GHz

RAM: 10GB

System type: 64-bit operating system

The computer model number would help in trying to find what exactly is in that computer. Supprised by "10GB RAM" that's an odd number for RAM, are you sure that's correct?

However, given what I know, I don't think you're going to have a great time with that machine. How does FSX perform currently for you?

The NGX is probably the most system intensive aircraft I own. On the information you've listed, I also doubt you would get very good performance, especially if you don't have a dedicated GPU which it appears you don't.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe SP2 is required for the NGX? That's a strange problem you're having - is it a genuine version of FSX you're using if you don't mind me asking?

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Yeah 10 GB of RAM is correct. Yes it is a genuine version of FSX. I've owned this version since 2006 I believe, having installed it to multiple computers, yet this is the first time I've had that issue. As it turns out, I'm not the only one. It's a registry problem I think. The model number of the computer is p7-1299c. I was fine with just having SP1 installed, but now since considering PMDG, I had to look for a solution. Currently, FSX runs at around 20 FPS on high graphics. However, it fluctuates. Graphics aren't really a problem, as I'd just reduce them to compensate for the detailed model. My biggest issue is SP2. I'm just wondering if it somehow works with SP1(probably not). This is why I wish they had a demo to really know for sure how it'd work.

On the HP site it states there is a PCIx16 slot for graphics cards, but only you will know if you have one installed. I would check to see if you have a separate GPU or if you are using on-bored. You can also tweek your fsx.cfg file to try and extract more FPS out of it.

Try and hit 30FPS or more with lowering your graphics settings and tweaking your config file, if you haven't already, with a default plane. That would be a good place to start. But yes, there is no demo so you are taking a risk with the NGX as it's heavy on resources

Yeah, I have a close attachment with my realistic graphics. It will be hard to part with them. :P. Like I said, that's not tooooooo much of a problem, it's really the SP2 issue. I have around 60 mods and add-ons for FSX, so I'm not really keen on trying to reinstall. 

From the horses mouth

OS: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 (latest service packs), Flight Simulator X with SP2 or Acceleration installed.

So if you don't have SP2 or Acceleration, looks like you're stuck. You can purchase FSX: SE on a Steam sale though, if cash is an issue

I'm running an AMD FX-6200 at 3.8GHz with a GTX 550 Ti graphics card.  I can get marginally acceptable performance out of the NGX, but I have to seriously dial back the eye candy and fly in calm weather.

Steve's DX10 fixer might help as it does keep things smooth at lower frame rates, but even then I'd be surprised if the NGX will be an enjoyable experience on your machine.

For what it's worth, the 777 does perform a little better than the NGX but it also pushes my machine to its limit.

Richard P. Kelly

it's really the SP2 issue. I

You will need SP2.  There is a separate forum in AVSIM for FSX topics here: http://forum.avsim.net/forum/121-ms-fsx-fsx-se-forum/ where you can probably find suggestions with a search since I'm sure it's come up before.  You can try the free registry repair tool from Flight1, but that does one specific fix and I'm not sure  that the problem it fixes is the reason you cannot install SP2.

Also, if you cannot get at least 30 fps out of FSX with default aircraft then I think the performance with any complex add-on aircraft is going to be marginal. The problem may not be your processor and speed but something in the 60 mods and add-ons that you mentioned.

Dan Downs KCRP

I definitely don't want the steam version, as I've heard bad things about it. I'll just have to find a solution on my own. Thanks for the help though.

The problem may not be your processor and speed but something in the 60 mods and add-ons that you mentioned.

Hahaha, true. But anyway, like I mentioned, I have the graphics on ultra, so that's why I'm averaging around  17FPS. I could definitely tone it down. I'll work on that today, see if I can fix anything.

I definitely don't want the steam version, as I've heard bad things about it. I'll just have to find a solution on my own. Thanks for the help though.

Out of interest, what have you heard? Many are seeing performance improvements, though some, as have I, have speculated if it's improvements, or just a re-install, but I can't say I've heard bad things

I've heard that they haven't bothered to fix bugs, many add-ons don't work properly, etc. Plus, I don't really want two copies of the same game. Nor do I want an online one. I know, I know, I'm picky.

Microsoft bound them by a very tight agreement on what they could and couldn't change. Some bits where improved according to reports, but they can't really change that much as per. Most of the problems with add-ons are now resolved. To be honest though, you asked for a solution and realistically, I think that's it. If you want the NGX, you need SP2. If you cannot upgrade you're existing FSX for whatever reason, you're choices are boxed or Steam. However, you'll have a hard time getting hold of boxed now. And if you can, the price might be a lot steeper then Steam.

Or, you could migrate to P3D if you didn't want to move to Steam. You have a few choices if you can't fix your original FSX install. There is no demo of the NGX though

I hear you. I just feel like it's too simple a problem to go and buy another version. However, I think i found the problem. Flight Simulator Demo shows up in the registry instead of FSX. I've heard that's a possible cause. So basically, if I can find a way to remove it, I may be in luck.

open regedit and edit the key, you can use the find function so you can hunt it down. Back sure you take a backup first though :)

W7: Start > Run > regedit

Or W8: Start > Regedit