Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

My feeling about Orbx

Did you read the manual before installing, particular the part about "Product Requirements / Compatibility" ?

That might of solved a lot of the issues you seem to be having.....

Cheers

You saw all the files it was downloading? Hmm that is odd. I have to ask, how did you do that exactly? Since it should only download a .zip file, which would only show the .zip downloading. I'm questioning if you downloaded the correct thing since I'm struggerling to know how you would see all the files in the zip before the zip has fully downloaded. Maybe I'm missunderstanding here

With that program FTC Central or whatever it is called, when I accepted it's suggestion to download the Update, as it downloaded I saw the names of the files  it was downloading. It was not a zip file, because it did not need to be uncompressed, after it downloaded it installed all 2058 files  on my hard drive apparently. I have no idea where they are now  or what they do, or how to find them to get rid of them. Isn't that special.....

Here is the post I made on the Orbx Forum where they told me to install this update, which turned out to be useless.  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/98925-just-installed-orbx-trees-and-now-downloading-huge-update/?hl=%2Bupdate+%2B150331/ Notice that the person from Orbx never answered my question that I asked  about uninstalling FTX Central 2 either, which is par for the course. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Did you read the manual before installing, particular the part about "Product Requirements / Compatibility" ?

That might of solved a lot of the issues you seem to be having.....

Cheers

I guess that's a no?

I guess that's a no?

Here is what the manual says.  ( Copy and Paste)

Product Requirements / Compatibility
This scenery addon is designed to work in the following simulators: Microsoft Flight Simulator
X SP2, Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v1 and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v2. For users of FTX
terrain regions, it also requires FTX Central V2, which is included in the installer.
Product Compatibility:
FTX Trees HD is designed to be compatible with nearly every product combination that you may
have installed on your home simulator. Regardless of what scenery products you already have
installed, Trees HD will replace all of your autogen trees, worldwide (with a few exceptions, see
below). Owning other ORBX FTX products will enhance your experience, but they are NOT
REQUIRED for Trees HD to function. FTX Trees HD will work equally well as an autogen tree
replacement for default FSX / P3D, or with a wide range of scenery products installed, both ORBX
and otherwise.
FTX Trees HD is compatible with:
 Default FSX / P3D
 ORBX FTX Global and the Global range of products (Vector, OpenLC, etc.)
 All ORBX FTX Terrain Regions
 Most ORBX airports (exceptions below)
 Most third-party sceneries for FSX and P3D
 Any combination of the above
Although great strides were made to ensure compatibility with the maximum number of
products, please be aware that there are some situations where Trees HD will not replace the
previous tree textures:
 Custom Vegetation Models - Many airports feature custom models of trees and bushes
that are not part of the autogen system, and Trees HD will not alter their appearance.
This includes the NatureFlow trees common at many ORBX airports, as well as other
custom vegetation.
 Custom Autogen - Some scenery packages utilize custom autogen to achieve a unique
look and feel to the area, and Trees HD will not affect these. Examples include ORBX
KPSP Palm Springs, KSEZ Sedona, and AYPY Jacksons, as well as various scenery packages
from other developers.
It should also be noted that FTX Trees HD is not compatible with other autogen tree replacement
software

So I read that, now what is your point???  You did have a point, didn't you?  It doesn't mention at all about the possibility that it will destroy the performance of my P3D installation and that if that happens, lots of luck uninstalling it.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

My point is myself and many others have installed HD Trees on P3D/FSX and have no problems....what can I say! I guess we were lucky....Perhaps it's Pilot error?

All I can say is myself and many others have installed HD Trees on P3D and have no problems....what can I say! i guess we were lucky....

+1

It really didn't seem all that difficult when I purchased and installed.

My point is myself and many others have installed HD Trees on P3D/FSX and have no problems....what can I say! I guess we were lucky....Perhaps it's Pilot error?

So suggest where I made the error., besides buying it in the first place>?

Bob - It won't help now BUT it is very possible that aborting the download initially left remnants of files on your system. Then when you did download the update, the d/l did not replace some of the incomplete files. Since you uninstalled it, it is also possible that the base is clean and you could try the whole process again.

HOWEVER -  :lol:  I have them installed and, although I don't have any appreciable performance hit, I don't see them as being all that great visually. A little improvement IMHO yes, but not a major difference.

Your call - try again or move on.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Bob - It won't help now BUT it is very possible that aborting the download initially left remnants of files on your system. Then when you did download the update, the d/l did not replace some of the incomplete files. Since you uninstalled it, it is also possible that the base is clean and you could try the whole process again.

HOWEVER -  :lol:  I have them installed and, although I don't have any appreciable performance hit, I don't see them as being all that great visually. A little improvement IMHO yes, but not a major difference.

Your call - try again or move on.

Vic

Well, that is what I noticed too , because prior to the stutter and crashing problems, I flew around VFR low level in my C-172 in areas that I normally fly, and didn't notice  a major  difference. I am mostly flying the Q400 now, so the time I have to look at the scenery and trees is pretty limited, taxiing and so forth, once I take off , and gain a little  altitude, I didn't see  much of a difference at all. I think this add on  is probably more  for someone that does most  of their  flying at 1500 AGL, where the trees would be more of an asset. 

You obviously can't read or understand what your are reading. I outlined exactly what I did so a five year old should be able to get a grip on it. I will say this slowly, so see if you can follow along. I  started  to download the update... I saw as it was beginning   to    download   that there were files   on the update   that I did not   want  on my P3D   because  they had nothing     to    do    with trees.    I  never    down   loaded the    update  the first     time  because I cancelled the download.. I did that by clicking on the button on the download screen that said "CANCEL"  After I clicked on the cancel button, it stopped   downloading the 2058 files that I didn't want on my harddrive because I had no idea what they were ....  Then     someone    at Orbx forum     told me   that I needed   to run   the update and that would fix any problem   I had ......So................

I began     downloading    the update   again.....   When    It  finished    downloading    all  2058    files, I then ran  the update   and    when   it    finished   running    it told    me   that the   update   was successful..  ( are you following me so far?)    

Now I started P3D and tried running it again with the supposedly fixed by the update trees,  and it was still screwed up. It stuttered, and after about 1/2 hour of flying and the stuttering getting worse and worse, it crashed!!!!!!!!!

Now I uninstalled the "trees from hell"    And now my P3D is back to normal, runs smooth as silk, no stutters, no crashes, good FPS, etc. etc.   .. 

I am not going to talk about this anymore, because it obviously is an exercise in futility. ........ :unsure:

Well thanks for the explanation, and even though I didn't know exactly what this install of the trees did, with all the digital junk I had to download, I figured it was a good deal more destructive than a few files of trees. I can't believe that a company like Orbx would do this to someone's sim program without warning them first. I have been buying Flight sim add on programs for decades, and have never seen anything like this. It's like getting Malware on your simulation program, and paying for it to boot. No way to uninstall unless you spend hours fiddling with different files. I realize that an uninstall would be difficult, but then warn people that are about to purchase the product what the risks are, like the drug companies do when they advertise some new drug and tell you that the side effects may be that you drop dead after taking it. 

I should have realized when I read the ridiculous claims of improved FPS from installing  bigger tree files to take the place of the default files, that this was digital snake oil ( something that I bet they will never be able to prove by the way) ..... Oh well, live and learn. 

Anyway, thanks for that very in depth, and very knowledgeable explanation, it must have taken quite a bit of your time to write it, and I appreciate  that. 

Good....  Don't talk about it anymore. I think you canceled it in the middle of the install as you said in your first post and then changed your story after people pointed out that maybe you and not the product are at fault. 

With that said thankfully you removed the "trees from hell" from your install and saved your system.  

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Good....  Don't talk about it anymore.  Because I think you canceled it in the middle of the install as you said in your first post and then changed your story after people pointed out that maybe you and not the product are at fault. 

With that said thankfully you removed the "trees from hell" from your install and saved your system.  

So you are calling me a liar.  Fine... Do you feel better now....

Bob, give it a rest, you've made your point, you don't like Orbx HD Trees! We get it!

So you are calling me a liar.  Fine... Do you feel better now....

I think your angry and trying to make your point stronger.  Maybe you misunderstood something in the install process. I have never paid that much attention to my ORBX installs but the only time I ever see the file names was

During the install......  not the download. 

Bob I agree about the uninstall process for ORBX software.. However I think that somehow the install got screwed up.  

I have ORBX trees and it works really well on my system.  Made quite a difference in my opinion, many others on here have it this add-on as well and like it.  

Maybe you should contact ORBX support and give it another shot 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I think this topic can be put to bed.

The general consensus is that having interrupted the install half way through has affected the end use of the product.

Bob - I think it would be wise of you to post your issue over at the ORBX FTX Payware Forums.  I have been a member there for about three years and while I have only had a couple of issues they have always been extremely helpful and solved all of my problems.

One thing  that hasn't been mentioned  did he  download  the correct  orbx libs  since  there are 2  versions, one thing  that confused  me here in this thread on how  he describes  on    he  saw  what was downloading all the files  the libs  were downloading?   Never seen this before  and I done  a few updates of  the libs  myself 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg