Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

My feeling about Orbx

Ok, here is what I did. I have a program that makes a mirror image of my harddrive including all the programs on it, but I realized when I had this problem a couple of weeks ago, that it was still backing up my files every few days, but not the portion of the drive that contained all my programs which I have set to do every other week, because the backup drive had been full for two months. ( I neglected to check this, my fault. )  So I went out and bought a 2TB backup ext drive, and had it back up everything twice ( mirror image) . Now I had a point to go back to if a problem again arose with P3D.

Yesterday, I went back to the folder where I had installed the Trees100Hd.exe and decided to run the exact same installer  again, to see exactly what was going on. I did not want to redownload the exe file, because I wanted to see if it was corrupted somehow. I clicked on it, and it started to install the trees, after I selected P3D as my sim. This is exactly what I did last time, by the way. After it finished it said something about running the FTX Central, and there would be a shortcut on my desktop to do that. I looked all over, and no shortcut anywhere. So I went to programs in Windows 7 and found an Orbx folder and in that folder was a shortcut to the FTX Central.exe.  By the way, I looked at the location of this exe, and it was in my Users/Appdata/Local/Orbx/  folder along with a few other files. I clicked on the exe file and expected to see the notice about downloading the 2048 files again to upgrade the FTX Central, but no such notice. The program opened and it showed the check boxes to select the HD trees and Orbx trees and I checked those,  and another one about lights, which I did not check.  

I started up P3D and went on 3 different 2 hour flights, no stutters, no crashes, everything worked fine. Frame rates were the same as before installing the trees. I didn't have to delete any shader cache or whatever it is called, it just worked. Same exe, never saw any file names, didn't download anything else. So the only thing I can think of is that the first install of the trees themselves must have been faulty. Now before anyone accuses me of stopping the install of either the trees or the update to FTX central the first time, that is not what I did. What I can't figure out is why it didn't ask me to update the FTX Central again, because I had gone over the HD with a fine tooth comb and deleted anything that had the Orbx name attached to it. So it must have reinstalled the same FTX Central that it did the last time, unless I missed the FTX Central and it has been there all the time. 

Oh well, it now works perfectly, and I admit that the trees look good. I flew around Alaska, and California, and they do make a difference, mainly on approaches and takeoffs, of course, since I am usually cruising at FL250.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Ok, here is what I did

Well done are you using ftx central 2 - you should be - that first ftx central that you see after loading you just x that out and use the ftx central 2 file to do your changes now

Rich Sennett

Well done are you using ftx central 2 - you should be - that first ftx central that you see after loading you just x that out and use the ftx central 2 file to do your changes now

Yes the .exe file says it is FTX Central 2.0   

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Great Bob

Rich Sennett

Glad it's working out for you :)