Sign in to follow this  
Evan

Noticeable stutter

I am running p3d v2.5 with all the common add-ons (PMDG, Aerosoft, multiple payware sceneries, orbx, rex soft clouds, ASN. It's been working great until recently. I'm having these stutters (really pauses) for like 6-8 seconds at a time and fairly frequent. I've done many tests, CPU using isn't spiking, multiple aircraft with multiple sceneries (FSDT, Taxi2Gate, Flightbeam, Aerosoft) and the pause is there. I updated to the most recent Nvidia driver recently, so I thought that may be the issue, but I reverted to the driver I was having no problems with, but the pause is still there. I'm really at a loss as nothing has changed, save for the nvidia driver update. I'm getting a solid 25-30 fps that is smooth. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I've also turned down the sliders which don't seem to have any impact with the pause. 

Evan Hardin 

I had a problem like that years ago with FSX, and after much searching I finally figured out that my hard drive at the time, was starting to go, and I determined that by excessive read times when I tested it, caused by sectors going bad. Not saying this is your problem, but since you hadn't changed anything except the drivers, which you rolled back, might be something to consider checking out. There are free programs that will run a test on your hard drive. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Hi Evan,

do you have FSUIPC installed? If yes check if you have the autosave feature enabled. I had these "freezes" in the PMDG 737. After switching it off i had no more freezes :)

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys. FSUIPC autosave was the culprit. 

Evan Hardin 

Sweet! I love how it's relatively easy to find issues with this simulator. When I first installed it last week, I was greeted with 7.0FPS right off the bat. I was MAD! I was like "well, here we go with FSX syndrome all over again...always struggling because I never had a shot in the first place. Everyone was right, no way I can run this on my new gaming laptop. Sure it's a Intel i4790K with 16GB, 1TB SSD and a GTX970m but that's par for the course with these sim's"

Then I relized P3D was booting up using my Onboard Intel 4600 Graphics and not my GeForce. I can easily hold a solid 30FPS everywhere with dense to very dense and 20% AI traffic (Well, except NYC. I haven't flown in NYC since Shez first came out with his scenery for FS9 :)

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

What do you recommend for Autosave if we turn it off in FSUIPC? The autosave has rescued me a number of times when there have been OOM crashes.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

What do you recommend for Autosave if we turn it off in FSUIPC? The autosave has rescued me a number of times when there have been OOM crashes.

I have been using this function for ages with the NGX and have never noticed a pause or stutter.  Mine is set to save every 10 minutes...

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I have been using this function for ages with the NGX and have never noticed a pause or stutter.  Mine is set to save every 10 minutes...

Which means every 10 minutes it saves.

The problem usually occurs when following is all true:

1. FSX/P3D is running from the same hard drive as where the saved flights are located
  2. The autosave is at default
  3. The sim settings are at a point where the CPU has to struggle to keep up

You put the three together and you are forcing your CPU to take a break from the sim to create a file and write it to disk, not to mention you are interrupting the disk to do it (which may be reading from disk to load scenery into RAM).

So of course, only doing it every 10 minutes vice 1-2 minutes makes a difference.  B)

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato