Sign in to follow this  
JDWalley

777 - boxed vs. download

This may be a dumb question, but I have the opportunity to buy a boxed version of the PMDG 777 which, as I understand it, only includes the -200. If I buy it, can I then download the -300 extension and add it on, or will that only work with the download version of the base -200 package?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Yup.  The software for download or box is the same assuming we're all agreeing that we are not talking about different versions.

You will have no problem installing a downloaded extension package to a boxed version of the base package, given the assumption the boxed version is up to date or updated to current. All downloads from PMDG are always the latest version.... the extent of my knowledge with boxed versions is that we do not beta test different installers... they're all the same.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yup.  The software for download or box is the same assuming we're all agreeing that we are not talking about different versions.

You will have no problem installing a downloaded extension package to a boxed version of the base package, given the assumption the boxed version is up to date or updated to current. All downloads from PMDG are always the latest version.... the extent of my knowledge with boxed versions is that we do not beta test different installers... they're all the same.

Dan, I run P3D. Is there a boxed T7 for P3D? If not, will there ever be one?

Dan, I run P3D. Is there a boxed T7 for P3D? If not, will there ever be one?

Check with Aerosoft.  PMDG's stated market strategy is to make their products available for all three platforms (FSX, P3D and XPlane).

If at all practical, I recommend a download from PMDG. If you could download the 10Gb P3D, the <1 Gb PMDG 777-P3D should be no problem and there's no penalty for re-downloads.

Dan Downs KCRP

Don't buy the boxed version whatever you do. I made that mistake. If you do you won't get the update that was released in February 2015.