Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

FSX and FSX:SE Dual installs

Hi All,

Recently I decided to do a fresh install of my flight sims on an SSD, and I wanted to test out both FSX "Classic/boxed" and FSX Steam Edition.

Now even though I read that base folders are different, and that registry keys and support folders will also be different if the FSX:SE Install detects that you already have FSX Classic installed, and that these folders are well known, and that there's even a registry key that TELLS YOU that you have a dual install, it seems like the first product I was going to install, which is ORBX FTX Global has an issue with this and will simply not work...

So my question would be: is this the same for all/the rest/most add-ons? Is there a compatibility list anywhere?  I'm not talking about a compatibility with Steam Edition, that I can already see/find out on the product page, but I'm talking about compatibility with Dual Install Systems that have both, meaning when I go install an add-on it will either install to both versions at once if chosen, or at least to each separately one at a time but will install and run correctly on both.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, as I'm standing by to either go ahead and install SE, or delete the classic one and remove all traces and then install SE.

Thanks!

it seems like the first product I was going to install, which is ORBX FTX Global has an issue with this and will simply not work...

Seems strange, Orbx are normally hot onto compatibility issues. Have you checked for updates?

is this the same for all/the rest/most add-ons? 

I can't say for any others, but the current version of FSUIPC's installer understands the various install options.

With my dual install I actually only install stuff like scenery into FSX, as I make sure that all entries in the SCENERY.CFG files have full paths, and then use the same CFG exactly for both FSX and FSX-SE. I do similar things with the aircraft and other objects via the SimObjectPaths parameters in the [Main] section of the main CFG file.

You still need to copy over stuff like Gauges and Effects.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Seems strange, Orbx are normally hot onto compatibility issues. Have you checked for updates?

Yes, not only that but I made a post yesterday and Ed answered this was the case. For some reason I cannot understand, if both are installed, their installers will still only install to FSX...

Not sure why this is, as it seems very straightforward to find the locations of everything, but he says their installers don't do it nor are they willing to change them.

I asked the same over at the Flight1 forum, since I may have purchased FTX Global but I am still on the fence regarding which Vector+LC product(s) to get, and they told me their installers (and products) have no such issues (It's in the very recent "UTX Europe 2.1 release forum announcement if you care to look, not sure if one{s allowed to post links to other forums here).

Really don't know why this would be so hard to do for ORBX though...

I can't say for any others, but the current version of FSUIPC's installer understands the various install options.

Oh, FSUIPC is right there at the top of my list of next items to get :)

With my dual install I actually only install stuff like scenery into FSX, as I make sure that all entries in the SCENERY.CFG files have full paths, and then use the same CFG exactly for both FSX and FSX-SE. I do similar things with the aircraft and other objects via the SimObjectPaths parameters in the [Main] section of the main CFG file.

You still need to copy over stuff like Gauges and Effects.

Pete

My initial intention was to test them both to see which performs best on my system, and then maybe to leave the best performing one (which I'm guessing will be SE) with all the "heavy stuff" like scenery add-ons, etc. and the other with only VFR, where I can run it with less demanding settings like very low autogen, etc.  since it's practically not needed and have a little less hassle-free setup based on what you want to fly on different sessions.

I read about folks simply renaming folders to get the ORBX stuff to work properly, but not too fond of constant renaming 8and it's error prone possibilities).

So my question would be: is this the same for all/the rest/most add-ons? Is there a compatibility list anywhere? I'm not talking about a compatibility with Steam Edition, that I can already see/find out on the product page, but I'm talking about compatibility with Dual Install Systems that have both, meaning when I go install an add-on it will either install to both versions at once if chosen, or at least to each separately one at a time but will install and run correctly on both.

The installers for some recently updated addons, such as Pete's FSUIPC,

the PMDG 777 and NGX, Active Sky Next, will recognize the dual install

and work just fine. Some older installers, like those for the Level-D 767

FS Commander do not, but there are workarounds that involve modifying XML

files and manually copy modules that fix most of the problems. I think

this is true for the Maddog too.

I have a dual install, but with a single FSX:SE install I am pretty sure

the Level-D, FS Commander and the Maddog would work fine, without any manual editing,

as with a single install of FSX:SE, the folder names are the same as original FSX.

Some addons just won't work with FSX:SE -- FS-Recorder for one, although some people

have gotten an older version to work. I think that is true for the FS Labs

Concorde as well.

If you can live without addons that don't work at all in FSX:SE, and you use

some older addons that can be made to work (like Level-D), you will

have fewer hassles w/ a single FSX:SE install. This is because then the

various folder names will be the same as in FSX Classic, and older install-

ers will recognize them.

With a single FSX:SE install, don't forget to run all three "legacy"

simconnect installers, located in the FSX:SE SDK.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

The installers for some recently updated addons, such as Pete's FSUIPC,

the PMDG 777 and NGX, Active Sky Next, will recognize the dual install

and work just fine. Some older installers, like those for the Level-D 767

FS Commander do not, but there are workarounds that involve modifying XML

files and manually copy modules that fix most of the problems. I think

this is true for the Maddog too.

I have a dual install, but with a single FSX:SE install I am pretty sure

the Level-D, FS Commander and the Maddog would work fine, without any manual editing,

as with a single install of FSX:SE, the folder names are the same as original FSX.

Some addons just won't work with FSX:SE -- FS-Recorder for one, although some people

have gotten an older version to work. I think that is true for the FS Labs

Concorde as well.

If you can live without addons that don't work at all in FSX:SE, and you use

some older addons that can be made to work (like Level-D), you will

have fewer hassles w/ a single FSX:SE install. This is because then the

various folder names will be the same as in FSX Classic, and older install-

ers will recognize them.

With a single FSX:SE install, don't forget to run all three "legacy"

simconnect installers, located in the FSX:SE SDK.

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the feedback.

Actually, I'm not worried about add-ons that don't work with FSX:SE more than I am with those that do but not properly when you have both SE and Boxed installed.

From those case, for now I'm finding out it seems to be just the ORBX stuff so far, but it{s a big deal because they would be the base of my sim world scenery...

Carlos,

I would sit back and wait a little.

I agree Orbx strategy to not provide new installers that enable dual sim install for FSX and FSX:SE is a little strange. I understand the time and effort involved in again revving their installers across their products but on the other hand the recently released Orbx- Steam deal appears promising so there seems to be commitment to support this going forward.

There are many users out there like you I am sure, that are evaluating Steam against their current FSX platform given the Investment made in their current platform. If Orbx do not enable this, they basically discourage people moving from FSX to Steam thus potentially hurting themselves in the process.I for one will hold back on further Orbx purchases until this gets sorted out.

Remember , Steam is also in it's early days. I think things will change re Orbx and dual FSX support.

Regards,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Carlos,

I would sit back and wait a little.

I agree Orbx strategy to not provide new installers that enable dual sim install for FSX and FSX:SE is a little strange. I understand the time and effort involved in again revving their installers across their products but on the other hand the recently released Orbx- Steam deal appears promising so there seems to be commitment to support this going forward.

There are many users out there like you I am sure, that are evaluating Steam against their current FSX platform given the Investment made in their current platform. If Orbx do not enable this, they basically discourage people moving from FSX to Steam thus potentially hurting themselves in the process.I for one will hold back on further Orbx purchases until this gets sorted out.

Remember , Steam is also in it's early days. I think things will change re Orbx and dual FSX support.

Regards,

Hi, maybe but I doubt it. Talked with Ed the guy that actually does the installers and he confirmed they would not change anything...

The rational is that their installers already work with FSX Steam Edition just fine, as they have from the beginning being that a standalone FSX:SE install uses the same registry keys and folders (except the base one) that "classic" FSX uses, and so they won{t be changing any of the installers at all just to cater to a minority with both Sims installed...

I partially understand, since he says they would have to re-compile the installers for ALL their products )talking about over 100) but that still does not provide a satisfactory answer and seems to be contrary to all other developers...

In any case, I did manage to make it work anyway with some registry tweaks, but it really sucks that I had to do that...

Well I have good news to report.. :wink:

At least FTX Global seems to be fixed, in that the latest version (V1.40) now does support both FSE Boxed and FSX SE installations at the same time. I installed the latest FTX Global update that came out and based on the new installer, it left my Installed FTX Global intact for FSX and created a new scenery folder for my FSX:SE installation on the other disk I have.

Next step to try out the new openLC EU installer!

See 7th October News here:-

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/portal/

Cheers,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

For the most part I find for addons that do not have a FSX-SE installer, you can still install it in a side by side installation  by using the Flight1 registry repair tool (Unless the addon directly accesses FS address space, or has a version check, in which case it won't work at all. Ex. FSRecorder) and setting it to your FSX-SE folder. If the addon adds an entry in either or both the dll.xml or exe.xml, you will have to move those entries, to the corresponding files in the in appdata\roaming\microsoft\FSX-SE folder. If you want though to install to the original FSX install, you'll have to switch back to the FSX folder with the registry tool. I'm more and more using FSX-SE exclusively now, so I keep it set there. I may eventually get to a point to uninstall FSX-Box, but I'm not there yet.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d