Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

SimStarter: changing to run as admin

I want to run SimStarter as Admin.  When I do, all of the profiles I've created and scenery sets are not there. Is there a way to get them to show up?  E.g. is there a directory I need to copy or something?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

No. SIMstarter is checking the files in the ".\Userprofiles" directory in an upper directory.

Where have you installed SIMstarter? Please check that you didn't install at "C:\Program Files (x86)" because of User Access Control of Microsoft Windows.

To start SIMstarter with admin right please use the existing Shortcut at the desktop > Right Click > Properties > Run As Administrator

Hope that helps. ;O)

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

Please check that you didn't install at "C:\Program Files (x86)" because of User Access Control of Microsoft Windows.

Actually, that's where it is.  When I do the right click->run as admin thing the profiles are all default as much as I can see.  When I just run it I see my profiles fine.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

It does not work because of the User Account Control auf Microsoft Windows. ProgramData should not be stored in C:\Program Files (x86). Therefore I recommand to not install it at this location.

Please see manual page 3 chapter 1.5.1

Best way for a correction would be:

1. New installation of SIMstarter to a new destination (e.g. D:\FSX\SIMstarter)
  2. Complete the installation
  3. Copy all files and subdirectories of your previous installation C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMstarter\*.* to that new path
  4. Try the new installation
  5. If the new installation works as aspected you could delete your C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMstarter\ directory. No uninstallation is required it that case because the installer is aware of the new selected directory

Happy landings!

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

Okay, I'll try this.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

I did a new install and copied all the files but the profiles are all default.  It must have some info stored elsewhere.  When I run the app from the old location, they're still showing up.  Puzzling.

Gregg Seipp