Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Can't operate Air Traffic Control. Please help:)

Hello my best friends in the world :rolleyes:  

I'm having some problems tuning the radio in the GTN 750 to hear the voices,  this is happening in all my GTN Compatible aircraft,  i tune the radio to the correct frequency but i don't hear anything,  I have my proper Com 1 channel on and its not in stand by.  I have played around with all the buttons but still nothing.  I always have to hit the SCR LK button on my keyboard to bring up the Air Traffic control "big blue window" i then chose the one i want with my mouse and it works perfect i can hear the nice man and woman talk to me.  
To be completely and embarrassingly honest i can't seem to tune even the default radios lol  I have tried it every way but nothing.  Like i said i can bring it up the other way and no probs at all.  There must be something i'm doing that's very wrong.     Is there a way you can control the Air Traffic Control through the GTN Radio or the default radio and maybe tap a button for "Acknowledge" or "say again" without having to constantly bring up the big blue window all the time

Yes yes i know im a silly person and this is very basic stuff and i should know it,  but i don't and any help would be greatly appreciated 

If you don't help me i will make a voodoo doll and stick pins in it:) 

Not sure I understand... do you have problems tuning the radios, or controlling ATC?

Tuning: if you tune to ATIS, do you hear it? If you tune to ground or tower, do you hear them talking to AI? Which aircraft is this? (in the more advanced offerings you may have to select the correct audio channels on the radio too.

Controlling: there is no other (default) way to 'control'= talk to ATC than the ATC window. Things get different with other ATC addons (RC4 or PFE) those have their own methods of communication. Or like MCE, talk to ATC by using your microphone.

LORBY-SI

Hello Nuitkati.   Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.  Ok i got the ATIS sorted, i tune it and it works perfect.   So am i right in saying because i use the default ATC in P3D when i tune to ATIS and listen to the message, i then tune to ground manually but hear nothing, i then open up ATC menu and have to click my option using my mouse, am i right in saying this is the only way default ATC works in P3D?     For some crazy reason i thought when you tune to ground you will hear something straight away.    

IIRC, the "channel" doesn't become active until you are told to switch. if you switch manually, you will hear nothing. The opposite is true of the regular ATC frequency - if you are in range, you will hear it.

Also remember, if using ATC - when you land and exit the runway - stop BEFORE the hold line or most of the time ATC will NOT turn you over to ground.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The audio should play as soon as you change frequencies. You shouldn't need to choose the channel from the ATC window to get the audio.

It sounds like one of two things is happening:

1. You don't have enough IFR AI to actually talk on ATC.

2. You're voice sound settings aren't setup correctly in Settings->Sound.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Hello Nuitkati.   Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.  Ok i got the ATIS sorted, i tune it and it works perfect.   So am i right in saying because i use the default ATC in P3D when i tune to ATIS and listen to the message, i then tune to ground manually but hear nothing, i then open up ATC menu and have to click my option using my mouse, am i right in saying this is the only way default ATC works in P3D?     For some crazy reason i thought when you tune to ground you will hear something straight away.    

Hi poppet,

afraid that is so, the radios in P3D/FSX just work like in real life. You tune the frequency, and if someone talks on this frequency you will hear it. In P3D/FSX that would be the case if ATC talks to an AI aircraft (they do this) or ATIS is on this frequency. To initiate communications you will have to call ATC first, stating your position and type of aircraft. In P3D/FSX this translates into pulling up the ATC window and selecting the appropriate option(s). Like in real life, ATC has no way of knowing that you are tuned to this frequency and expect to be spoken to ^_^

This gets more complicated with the higher level addon planes, where you can switch between the COM radios and audio channels. With those just tuning the frequency might not be enough, you will have to activate the microphone and headphone channels too.

LORBY-SI

When speaking of the GTN750 and 650, you must also keep in mind that not all frequencies are the same as those used in the sim's ancient database!

More than once I've been caught out on this by not verifying that the frequencies match up. :blink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

When speaking of the GTN750 and 650, you must also keep in mind that not all frequencies are the same as those used in the sim's ancient database!

Same here. I've also found the runways don't always match up (especially outside of Orbx regions where the airports aren't updated).

I use the default ATC to get the frequencies, then dial them in.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Ok,  thank you Philip, FR Bill, Vic and Nuitkati.   I have now mastered the default ATC.  

Just on a side note i seen these weird looking yellow marks, looked like arrows on my screen,  and only then i realized what "Progressive taxi"  does lol  Very happy with my new yellow arrow find,  i thought i might have to find that darn shader filer again.

Thanks again for your help  :rolleyes: