Sign in to follow this  
Alan_A

SLI in FSX-SE? Really?

Installed FSX-SE today to run a few tests and found to my surprise that the SLI bar showed up (I forgot I'd left it running in NVidia Control Panel), and that it was clearly indicating a load on both of my 980s, increasing on both sides of the line as graphics demands went up.  I'm guessing that this is some sort of artifact of the way the Control Panel is interacting with the Steam App, and not actual SLI support for FSX.  Can anyone confirm?  I'd be surprised to find out that Dovetail had slipped SLI into FSX-SE without telling anyone.

I can't see that this SLI, whatever it is, is having any impact on performance - but then, this is a virgin install and performance is high to begin with.

Again - I don't believe that SLI is really active, but I would like to know what's going on under the hood.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

SLI is driver dependant, not application dependant. It's up to Nvidia to decide whether FSX supports SLI. Which FSX does support SLI.

That not quite correct. What is true is that SLI scaling is application dependent.

Thanks for that link, DJJose.

I've been using P3D pretty much exclusively for about a year and a half (since v2 came out).  Went to SLI to take advantage of it for P3D but haven't seen really significant improvements (they're there, but they're subtle), and my effects stay broken no matter what I tweak.  I'm not sure P3D SLI is really optimized yet.

So am taking a break from that and mucking around in other programs.  FSX-SE cost me all of $5 so it's worth it to me to play around with it.

If I'm reading all of your reports correctly, SLI has some impact in FSX but may cause microstutters as well.  I had some, and cured them, but am not sure whether I did it by turning off SLI or by cutting back my water slider.

Will test more today if I can.

In the meantime, let me know if I'm understanding things correctly or if I'm still getting it wrong.

Thanks!