Sign in to follow this  
antic81

Interesting runway/taxiway lighting issues

Hi there,

I have a strange issue that I cant seem to find an answer for anywhere.

Yesterday I bought Pago Pago from FTX ( I already own: Global,Vector, Open LC Europe, England,Wales, Scotland, NZ, OZ and the pilots mesh that's compatible with FTX...) and during testing it out I fired it up at night (during the day its perfect and looks great) but at night the runway lighting is very very dim - in fact from a distance there does not  appear to be any, only while on the ground can you see any lighting and to be fair it may just be the lights themselves and how they show up as an object. Has anyone got this scenery and if so how does it work for you at night? Is there anything I can try to fix it?

The other issue I have come up against is my Barcelona X from aerosoft has no lighting either - this one there seems to be a layer issue ( when the sim loads the lights are there for about a second and then they blink out) I have tried moving the airfield up and down on the list in the scenery library but it seems to make no difference.

The problem is that this doesn't appear to be a scenery problem as I have googled the hell out of it ( I did come across a post from a fella with the same dim lights issue but it was not ever responded to and, although it was FTX scenery, it wasn't Pago Pago so no joy there)

It must be something my end but I cant figure it out!

As a side note other than some layering issues that I can sort out at the default airports seem fine, the other addons I have (including Palma and some others are fine as well) so I cant blame it on my drivers.

I do have the latest from nvidia and I upgraded my GTX680 to a Titan X but the problems are the same as before ( I didn't upgrade to solve those problems! That would be an expensive solution! )

Anyway just looking to see if anyone has come across anything similar and has any ideas for me to try with either of those?

Many thanks!

Anthony

Anthony Milner

Have you used FTX Cetral v2 - Settings - Tools - FTX Global 3d Light Configuration tool to set preferences ?

Have you used FTX Cetral v2 - Settings - Tools - FTX Global 3d Light Configuration tool to set preferences ?

I have not - let me have a look and see what works there! I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks for the quick response! :)

UPDATE:

I had a look and do not seem to have that option with my FTX central v2...under tools I have the following: Installed Products, Library insertion points, FTX Aero and FTX Global Vector config tool?

Am I missing something?

Cheers!

Anthony Milner

Just noticed something else with Pago Pago - there dont appear to be any trees - Auto gen buildings yes - trees no...

Anthony Milner

Am I missing something?

If your FTX central v2 does not show the light configurator then there is an issue with your install somewhere

centralv2.jpg

I have now downloaded it and its now showing in FTX Central 2 , went through it but it only seems to be street lighting that it has an affect on.

No option for runway or taxiway lighting - that is handled by rex 4 - the thing is most other airports seem to be fine - its a bit tricky as some addon airports have problems and some are fine.

Anthony Milner

IIRC it directly changes halo.bmp - which IS used by most airports not given separate coded  lighting elements by addons or installers.

Also, you completely failed to mention Rex installation in your original post. HOW can anyone help when you don't provide full info ?

If you don't have the runway box UNchecked in Rex4, then forget all that has gone before and go ask the Rex developers.

Likewise for Barcelona go ask Aerosoft. Barcelona X was only ever sold for FS2004 and FSX. So if you've installed the wrong software into P3D you cannot reasonably expect support and any resulting problems are simply not going to get fixed.

I think you need to be far clearer with what your problems are, and what you may have done to incur them.

My apologies for that for failing to mention REX. My fault!

Although all the standard airfields and some of the payware ones work - if it was all of them then it would be easier to figure out.

I dont think there is way to get it all working nicely together - the Barcelona X was updated to install into p3d but you are probably right - that may have been just an update on the installer and nothing else.

Was just a punt coming here, its a busy forum, whereas some of the developer ones are pretty dead - sometimes you are lucky and someone else has figured it out!

Anthony Milner

My apologies for that for failing to mention REX. My fault!

Although all the standard airfields and some of the payware ones work - if it was all of them then it would be easier to figure out.

I dont think there is way to get it all working nicely together - the Barcelona X was updated to install into p3d but you are probably right - that may have been just an update on the installer and nothing else.

Was just a punt coming here, its a busy forum, whereas some of the developer ones are pretty dead - sometimes you are lucky and someone else has figured it out!

Maybe I can help with Barcelona X issue. Google simmershome.com; its a German website but under zsnernian tab there is an option for native p3d lights tab in which you can download fixes for a variety of airports that the custom lights do not work for. You need to register but it's free.

Hope this helps and it's not your fault you provided plenty of info; just some people here can be kind of harsh on avsim. Don't know why.

Sean Green

Hi Sean,

Many thanks for that - I'll give it a go and let you know if I have any luck!

Got in touch with the ORBX developer of Pago Pago and he helped me out with that one! The developer of Queenstown explained the reason for his lighting issues and pointed out that in the real world Queenstown is daylight ops only! So thats actually good enough for me! haha!

Cheers for your help!

Anthony Milner