Hi All,

Its time for me to build me a newer PC.

My current one is a machine i built in dec 2009, a I7-920@4.2ghz, 6gb ram, 2 sad, nvidia gtx 660, with fsx X and only fly pmdg 777 and 747.

I know its about time I upgraded can anyone plus advise the best combination in terms of CPU, mobo, ram, and graphics card. Budget about USDe 4000.

Also should I switch to Prepar3d ?.

Many Thanks

Hari

With such a high budget you shouldn't have any problem going to top notch config. I would rather invest on CPU more than GPU. Any top middle class GPU it's more than enough.

I don't have prepar3d but IMO is still developing and not yet mature. I read continuosly about updates, newer versions, is good that is a very active project, but on the other hand you will continue tweak and solve issues instead of flying.

If you (as me) invested a lot in payware add-ons sceneries (and home cockpit) i would still wait.

i7 4790K is standard nowadays, but check Rob Ainscough's rig in the P3D forums :) 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Just hold on a couple of months and wait for Skylake and the 1151 motherboards to arrive.

If you don't need hyperthreading, go for the 6600K, otherwise choose the 6700K.

Both are unlocked and ready for overclocking.

With that budget I guess a GTX 980 Ti should fit nicely.

Get some nice cooling, perhaps a waterloop to cool both CPU and GPU.

New Intel processors (i.e 6600K & 6700K) are inbound in early August. Wait for that before you pick up any components for your system.

Aamir Thacker

Thanks all for the responses, I think worth waiting till August for the sky lake chips.

I hate to have to reinstall fsx and the addons again, is it possible to change motherboard, ram, and video card and just swap the SSD's to the new setup ?

Will it work ? and would I get the full potential of the new hardware ?

Thanks all for the responses, I think worth waiting till August for the sky lake chips.

I hate to have to reinstall fsx and the addons again, is it possible to change motherboard, ram, and video card and just swap the SSD's to the new setup ?

You could try swapping the drives, but it rarely works without problems, due to all different drivers between your old and new systems. Besides, you'd be inheriting a lot of old crud from your previous system. A clean install is advisable.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

You could try swapping the drives, but it rarely works without problems, due to all different drivers between your old and new systems. Besides, you'd be inheriting a lot of old crud from your previous system. A clean install is advisable.

Thanks James

With all the leftover drivers and hidden junk that gets into everyone's rig, best to do clean install. By the time skylake is here you can do a clean install with win10!

I can recommend an MSI board and MSI Graphics card. Mine have been great and OC'ing is super easy.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.