Sign in to follow this  
tommchowat

Constant gdiplus.dll crash

Hi Guys,

I'm at the end of my tether with this. I moved over to P3D from FSX a while ago, and have had nothing but trouble on a totally fresh install of Windows 7. I can't complete a flight in the PMDG 777 from Muscat to Abu Dhabi, the sim is constantly crashing either on the ground or during the descent. More often than not it's caused by gdiplus.dll. I remember I had this a while ago with FSX and it helped to go back to a previous Nvidia driver (344.65 I think worked). Didn't work this time though. With the latest driver (353.30) I get a gdiplus.dll error without fail, like this: 

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 2.5.12946.0, time stamp: 0x555f2e54
Faulting module name: gdiplus.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18852, time stamp: 0x555633d1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000c7fa0
Faulting process id: 0x10a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0b69c99ed9031
Faulting application path: D:\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7601.18852_none_72d5ba7586659cb4\gdiplus.dll
Report Id: cdc55e57-2296-11e5-b74a-30b5c218a6ad

Reverting back to the previous driver (353.06) I get a crash I've never seen before:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 2.5.12946.0, time stamp: 0x555f2e54
Faulting module name: nvwgf2um.dll, version: 9.18.13.5306, time stamp: 0x55668242
Exception code: 0xc0000096
Fault offset: 0x006ebd85
Faulting process id: 0xc64
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0b6970c8dd0c1
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvwgf2um.dll
Report Id: a48852f4-228b-11e5-87b6-bc5ff436a2d8

And now using 344.65 which fixed the gdiplus.dll error when I was using FSX, I get this:

Faulting module name: gdiplus.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18852, time stamp: 0x555633d1
Fault offset: 0x000c7f80
Faulting process id: 0xbfc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0b6a9c19f005e
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7601.18852_none_72d5ba7586659cb4\gdiplus.dll
Report Id: 8623f651-229f-11e5-8833-bc5ff436a2d8

It's getting a bit ridiculous. Background information:

Fresh install of Windows 7 x64, UAC off, fully up to date
P3D 2.512946 running as admin
FSUIPC 4.939 registered
.NET verification tool ran and confirms no issues with 2.0 up until 4.5.2
.NET repair tool run
SFC /SCANNOW run with no integrity violations

System:
i5 3570 @ 4.7GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
128GB SSD
4GB GTX 970

There isn't much out there about this sort of crash, so I certainly hope someone can help me, as I'm about to lose it. I moved from FSX to P3D in the hope of getting a more stable sim and it's just getting worse.

Gdiplus.dll is a graphical device interface and belongs to the Windows system files. The real errors you are getting pertain to the nvwgf2um.dll, version: 9.18.13.5306. You state you have Nvidia drivers 353.03 installed but the Nvidia driver version for the faulting nvwgf2um.dll comes from Nvidia driver 353.06. When you installed your video card drivers, I hope you had UAC disabled and any anti-virus program was disabled as they could have prevented the proper installation of your product.

You should download and run an application called TakeOwnership (see page 9 of the AVSIM CTD Guide). Install this program then go to the P3D main folder and right click the folder and then select TakeOwnership. You can do this with the hidden folders for P3D too (the ones in your C:\User\(your username)\appdata\roaming\lockheed martin and C:\Program Data).

I would definitely uninstall your graphics drivers, run a registry cleaner, then reinstall your graphics card drivers with Admin Privileges. Make sure UAC is disabled and your anti-virus program has been turned off from scanning P3D when you are running it. Also go to the Prepar3D.exe file in the main Prepar3D folder and right click it. Select Properties. Under the compatibility tab make sure P3D is started using admin privileges.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for replying Jim.

I did mean 353.06, not 353.03, not sure those even exist! I uninstall video card drivers in Add/Remove programs then restart in safe mode and use driver sweeper. However when I install a new one I don't disable anti-virus protection - I'll do this now.

I've taken ownership of all relevant P3D folders.

I've got UAC disabled and P3D running as admin.

I've added the P3D directory in my exception list for scanning by my anti-virus.

I also realised I didn't have any chipset drivers installed, and found some on the Asrock site. I also updated the firmware for both my Samsung SSD's.

We'll see how it goes.

Update: I started up everything at Muscat in the 777 like I normally would, full procedure, GSX running and all, and I set up everything all the way up to ready to push and left it like that - it's usually after about 5-35 minutes that I'd get the crash. However, it just sat there behaving with no crashes for about an hour. Didn't have time to actually take off as I have to go to work, but it looks promising so far. Only weird thing is that Active Sky Next on my networked laptop decided not to start up at all on double clicking the icon - hopefully that's a fairly straightforward reinstall. Thanks for your help so far.

Next on my networked laptop decided not to start up at all on double clicking the icon - hopefully that's a fairly straightforward reinstall. Thanks for your help so far.

Tom

Make sure you check out page 82 of the HiFi documentation relating to simconnect troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

After all that, still getting the same crash in exactly the same place, every time. Descending through 190 on the way into OMAA. Disabled all addon scenery too.

I'll do the longer OMAA-EGLL and if that goes well then I'll just have to put it down to that particular route!

Yes, good idea.  I had a crash once that happened at the same location.  I ran Process Monitor (setup as shown in the AVSIM CTD Guide) and when it crashed, I immediately stopped Process Monitor and found out it was an AI flightplan or aircraft that was stopping it at that exact location.  Disabled MyTrafficX and the crashes stopped.  It could be something as simple as that.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I only have UT2 installed for the models as I only fly on Vatsim so I'd be surprised if it was that. The EGLL - OMAA flight went without a hitch, as did the OMAA - OOMS. There must be something, somewhere on that route in that exact place which my computer just doesn't get on with. Strange indeed.

Is there some way of disabling UT2?  You may have to uninstall it if there is no way to disable it.  In MyTrafficX, they have an entry in the Scenery Library.  I disabled that and no more crashes in that exact same spot on the same flight plan.  It is also possible you have Static AI in an airport nearby that is having difficulties when called to render or perform.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

It doesn't have a scenery library entry, I just installed the models and made an entry in the Sim Objects CFG. To be honest it's not worth the time or effort to figure out what is causing this, it's just a short hop which I'm probably never going to do again, so I'm just going to have to come to terms with it!

Good idea.  Eventually it will go away.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks for the help anyway, I've made alot of adjustments to my configuration which will probably help to avoid future crashes.

Sorry to drag this up again, I'm sure you're bored of it but the same rubbish is happening still, this time at exactly the same spot elsewhere. Taxiing towards runway 12 in Kingston, about halfway to the runway I'm always getting a gdiplus.dll error. The flight to Kingston from Gatwick went brilliantly last week. I've been testing it all day and can't get to the bottom of it. I got Process Monitor and made a note of the exact time it crashed and had a look to see if I could spot something, but I can't.

Here's the message from Event Viewer, time 17:08:57

Fault offset: 0x000c7e85
Faulting process id: 0x104c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0cadf99272dfe

Report Id: 47f72e93-36d5-11e5-9122-bc5ff436a2d8 

Here's the associated bits of the log file at around that time:

170857.jpg

170857_2.jpg

Now the sim itself froze at 17:08:52, so here are the associated bits of the log file at that time:

170852.jpg

Now at the time the sim crashed (above picture), I can't spot anything out of the ordinary in the log file there, partially because everything says "SUCCESS". 

At the time Event Viewer recorded the crash (first two pictures) I can't really make head or tail of what any of it means!

I filtered the log file to only show gdiplus access, and there were two logs at 17:09:06 with the same path to gdiplus that Event Viewer showed, both were a 'SUCCESS'.

I filtered the log file to only show gdiplus access, and there were two logs at 17:09:06 with the same path to gdiplus that Event Viewer showed, both were a 'SUCCESS'.

The key to using Process Monitor is to set it up per the AVSIM CTD Guide. You want only P3D showing up and only P3D addons. As you are flying along, you crash. You then bring process monitor into focus and do a control+E. This will halt. At 17:09:06 (for instance), what add on process was running? Was it airport scenery being loaded? AI being rendered? GDIPlus is only the error that occurred. You want to know what was loading in the background when the error occurred.

You have the correct version of GDIPLUS installed. Microsoft issued a fix for those who are getting this error - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065979. It may or may not apply to you. You will have to check to see if you installed the security update. The fix was in an optional windows update. Many people do not install optional security updates. I do so maybe the reason why you are getting the error and I am not.

There is obviously something you have installed with P3D that no other members here at AVSIM have installed. Perhaps a really old addon? Maybe one made for another version of FS such as from FS9 or 2001 or 2000? It crashed inside of P3D so there's something inside of P3D that messed up. When the program is calling for a drawing, it cannot render it properly and P3D crashes.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM