Sign in to follow this  
Fsxsimmer758

Rex soft clouds

Haven't noticed any change in FPS from default to soft clouds. How many layers do you have? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Do you have HDR lighting on? That will kill your FPS in clouds. I use soft clouds only on the lower layer at the 512k resolution and NO HDR lighting!

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

1 - DO NOT USE HD textures.  512 textures is more than enough.  These are soft clouds.  You don't want them looking like they were cut out of a photo and pasted into your sim.  They look more natural at 512.

2 - HDR lighting does not affect the performance so much as SGSS.   This is a known issue in P3D involving clouds.   Sparse Grid Super Sampling, even at a mild 2x setting can and will erode your FPS in bad weather conditions.   I live without any SGSS.  There are other ways to get around it like Reshade/SweetFX.    I never had FPS issues with or without HDR on but I had major issues with SGSS.   As a note, I current fly with HDR OFF.

3 - You don't need 5 layers of clouds.  Set it to 4 layers.   I assume you are using Active Sky NEXT since you are mentioning cloud layers.    Rarely are there more than 4 layers of clouds in real world weather.   The extra layer is just eating up resources, both frames and VAS and the impact on visual performance is minor.

4 - Is your cloud draw distance beyond 90 miles?    Why?   The human eye can't see further than that in real life, even at 40000 feet because of atmospheric distortion and hazing.  Don't make the simulator try to draw past that in my opinion.  You are causing unnecessary drains on your VAS and FPS.    I have my Cloud Draw distance set to 83 miles and my Visual Max distance set to 80.   This creates a realistic haze out at the horizon and you never see the clouds popping in because they are being formed in the 3 mile buffer zone between your cloud draw distance and your visual distance.

These are suggestions but they work on 'MY SYSTEM'.    I am able to fly with MAX Detailed clouds in thunderstorms with rain and lighting and see very little if any FPS drop and my VAS does not suffer from the weather engine.   Give it a shot if you are so inclined.   Good flying to you!

While there isn't a whole lot of weather in the below screen shot it is enough to show you the visual I am talking about.  This to me, looks realistic for an early morning warm humid summer takeoff.

Spirit-Horizon.png

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

1 - DO NOT USE HD textures.  512 textures is more than enough.  These are soft clouds.  You don't want them looking like they were cut out of a photo and pasted into your sim.  They look more natural at 512.

Excellent shot Brian - luv it    ----------  3 Cloud layers is plenty

Rich Sennett

I have noted a difference in FPS when HDR is on or off. I do not use ASN, just FSGlobal Weather. As for SGSS, I implement it in NVI because it's the only way to get 3rd party addons to look sharp in P3D. The default stuff looks fine with NVI on or off. I am hoping that with the arrival of my new 980ti card, I will be able to increase my resolution slightly and eventually eliminate NVI...we'll see.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

That is what I use, 3 layers and it looks great. 

2 - HDR lighting does not affect the performance so much as SGSS.   This is a known issue in P3D involving clouds.   Sparse Grid Super Sampling, even at a mild 2x setting can and will erode your FPS in bad weather conditions.   I live without any SGSS.  There are other ways to get around it like Reshade/SweetFX.    I never had FPS issues with or without HDR on but I had major issues with SGSS.   As a note, I current fly with HDR OFF.

3 - You don't need 5 layers of clouds.  Set it to 4 layers.   I assume you are using Active Sky NEXT since you are mentioning cloud layers.    Rarely are there more than 4 layers of clouds in real world weather.   The extra layer is just eating up resources, both frames and VAS and the impact on visual performance is minor.

4 - Is your cloud draw distance beyond 90 miles?    Why?   The human eye can't see further than that in real life, even at 40000 feet because of atmospheric distortion and hazing.  Don't make the simulator try to draw past that in my opinion.  You are causing unnecessary drains on your VAS and FPS.    I have my Cloud Draw distance set to 83 miles and my Visual Max distance set to 80.   This creates a realistic haze out at the horizon and you never see the clouds popping in because they are being formed in the 3 mile buffer zone between your cloud draw distance and your visual distance.

These are suggestions but they work on 'MY SYSTEM'.    I am able to fly with MAX Detailed clouds in thunderstorms with rain and lighting and see very little if any FPS drop and my VAS does not suffer from the weather engine.   Give it a shot if you are so inclined.   Good flying to you!

While there isn't a whole lot of weather in the below screen shot it is enough to show you the visual I am talking about.  This to me, looks realistic for an early morning warm humid summer takeoff.

Spirit-Horizon.png

Where is this visual max setting, I can't find it?  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

In Settings in Active Sky NEXT under Visibility Options

Set Minimum Surface Vis to 0

Set max Surface vis to 50 (or whatever YOU think looks right.  50 for me.)

Set Max upper Vis to 80 (or 3 miles shorter than your maximum cloud draw distance.  For me my Max cloud draw is 83 so my vis is 80)

That is what I use, 3 layers and it looks great. 

Where is this visual max setting, I can't find it?  

Excellent shot Brian - luv it    ----------  3 Cloud layers is plenty

3 layers works for everything BUT I find 4 is good during thunderstorms to build those thunder heads up more but you are right.   LESS is MORE in FSX and P3D.    And thanks!   That's my newest livery I just completed painting.  Saw this plane while spotting at DFW International and noticed no one had done N607Nk in the new Banana Boat scheme.  This use to be a Skittles Spirit plane but it just got repainted.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

In Settings in Active Sky NEXT under Visibility Options

Set Minimum Surface Vis to 0

Set max Surface vis to 50 (or whatever YOU think looks right.  50 for me.)

Set Max upper Vis to 80 (or 3 miles shorter than your maximum cloud draw distance.  For me my Max cloud draw is 83 so my vis is 80)

Thanks for the info as I just did a new install of P3D on win 10 so far so good and I was just getting to ASN settings - perfect timing bro - nice paint

Rich Sennett

Thanks, never even looked at those settings in ASN. 

@Brain

Its always nice to read an informative post and not like the huge amount of misinformation on these forums and in this post. Nice post to help the OP.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

@Brain

Its always nice to read an informative post and not like the huge amount of misinformation on these forums and in this post. Nice post to help the OP.

AVSIM helped me get through the early years without throwing myself out the window and now that I have some experience with all the DO'S and DON'Ts and have found what works and doesn't work for me I like to share in hopes that my solution will be someone else's solution and prevent them from throwing their PC out the window or themselves in frustration.   FSX and P3D can both drive a person to drink when things are going wrong.   

100454.png

Brian Navy