Sign in to follow this  
kekelekou

TwinOtter Ext vs BN-2, FPS-wise

Hello everyone !

Due to an aging PC, I am a late convert to slow GA VFR and bush-flying. Now my flight speed is on par my chipset! I have fun with both the Cessna 150 Ti’Bush freeware and Flight1 BN-2 Islander. I can get a steady 24fps with reasonable autogen and textures quality.

I am considering buying OrbX’s PNW scenery (any bush pilot would), so I have installed the demo which is gorgeous. But with a fps hit while flying the BN-2, what's a tad annoying...

The TwinOtter Extended from Aerosoft ranked second after the Islander in my short-list, so now I am wondering if this add-on is lighter on FPS than its British counterpart.

Has any of you any idea about compared performance of these models?

Thanks!

Kekelekou

My rig :

E6550 CORE 2 DUO OC 3Ghz, MSI P35 NEO2-FR, GTX650 1GB DDR5, TWINX CORSAIR DDR2 4X1024MO, SAMSUNG T133 300GB 7200RPM 8MB, LG L1954TQ-PF 19” 1280x1024, GREEN POWER 400W, OS : Windows 7 64 bit, FSX Gold DX9

I have a lower end computer.  I have Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended.  I also have all the coastal Orbx scenery.

I fly these areas all the time with the Twin Otter successfully.  What might be critical for you is to turn down some settings to get better frames.  I'm suspecting the Twin Otter and the Islander are probably the same frames hit but don't know for sure.

While my frames aren't screaming high I get 17-18 on the low end and 36 on the high end (mine is set to 40 limited).  Average in the mid twenty's.  All I care about is smoothness and minimizing stutters.

By the Way.  If you can afford it buy the suite of coast areas as this will give you tremendous flying opportunities.

PNW, PFJ, Tongass Fjords (FS Addons product by Holger Sandman the architect behind all this scenery) and SAK.  There are a number of commercial airports that compliment this area as well.

And, you can compliment all this scenery with the "Return to Misty Moorings" tons of freeware offerings.

http://return.mistymoorings.com/.

cheers

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

If it helps, the twin otter extended is one of the best bang-for-buck ga utility plane I've ever flown in fs. It's very easy on frames and vas, and its still systems deep enough to keep you busy. A fantastic plane, one I will always keep in my hangar. The islander is fun in its own way, but definitely not as up to the minute as the otter.

Me I fly the Islander all the time and love it far more than the Twin Otter. Can't really say which has the better fps though, there can't be much in it.

I even built a home cockpit for the Islander ;)

I have both and I'm not sure there's any difference between them.  One of my standards of FPS friendliness is how much having the mouse cursor hits the framerate.  I notice that it does a bit more in the Twotter than in the Islander, but not much.  

Both seem much more FPS friendly on my system than RealAir or A2A aircraft, or the new Razbam Metro I just bought, which are fine most places, but create more of a hit over addon airports and dense urban scenery than other and simpler aircraft in my hangars.  

The Twotter is very well done, and has much better graphics than the Islander (which is much older), but it is also more finicky to fly (just because it's a turboprop if for no other reason).  It has some very nice features, though, such as the clickable checklist.

Thanks to all of you for your kind feedback.

Then there's no much of an fps improvement to be expected from switching from the Islander to the Twotter, so I guess I'll stick to my good ol'BN-2 for a while, and slide down the sliders a bit. Even if the TwinOtter's VC seems to look gorgeous. So little time, so little money ^_^

Thank you again.

Have both. Both are great fun to fly.  The Twin Otter, however, is way above the Islander in graphics and system modeling.  Both have great frame rates.  I imagine the Twin Otter would be slightly harder on frames than the Islander.  Hate for you to miss the Twin Otter.  Do what you can to get it and fly it.