I'm looking to create a 3-monitor setup, and they will be connecting to an EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations on what I need to keep an eye out for, or monitors in general as I start getting deeper into research. I want them to be 27 inches (I'm using one now, and want to maintain that size) plus I'll probably try to add a 3 screen desk mount to neaten things on the desk.  I'm looking for this setup to be a flight sim, and race sim environment but it is a gamer PC as well as work when duty calls. I may not play all games with 3 screens all the time. I do work quite a bit from 3 screens at my job already so this will be something at home, in a more of a grand scale. Thanks for your suggestions!

Don't forget to read the pinned topic at the top of this forum!!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

'll probably try to add a 3 screen desk mount to neaten things on the desk.

These usually work really well.

I like the ability to easily go portrait mode on at least one monitor for some desktop stuff

like email and editing portrait mode photos.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Starting to think going 3 screens that use G-SYNC may be more than I want to spend. Probably look for something that is a quality gaming 27 inch monitor and get 3 of those. If G-SYNC ever gets less expensive I can always get them, then and give my kids a monitor upgrade for their PCs.

In my opinion, G-SYNC at the moment may not be worth the price premium. If you're playing games other than the flight sims, it may be worth instead investing in three 100+hz monitors. At the same time though, a single 980 may not push most games past 60 fps at a high resolution like 5760x1080. Its a case of whatever fits your budget.

I personally run a mixed bag of three plain old 1080p 60fps monitors with my two 970s and love it. Its kind of left me craving even more GPU power on some games though, but I'm probably just being greedy. Without derailing the topic, I think the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive will mostly render my 3 screens obsolete for my uses (mostly only flight and racing sims) - and they're due out at the end of this year/start of next year. Just something to consider if you're getting a triple monitor setup for the same reasons I did.

There is a small piece of my thought process that is very much intrigued by the 21:9 option. 

So, I've spent the better part of the day reading reviews, and technical articles about 3 screens and 21:9 monitor reviews and I come away thinking, I'm going to bed uncertain and confused. I love the aspect of being surrounded by screens in a cockpit feel for racing sims and flying sims but there is that level of complication, and 3 devices that can fail vs 1 device that is pretty wide already in a 21:9 configuration. G-SYNC is too expensive to do 3 times, and 21:9 is very different to me as I am already used to 3 physical screens, both at work (3 19s) and home (2 17s in portrait and 1 27 in landscape). I know I'm going to spend at least 1000 dollars on this display setup and maybe a few hundred more but gaming performance of this display setup and immersion is important, to go with the fact that I work here too. Lets see what tomorrow brings, more to read and research...

You could get a very nice ~55" 4K TV for the price of the 21:9.

That would give you a lot more screen area.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

You could get a very nice ~55" 4K TV for the price of the 21:9.

That would give you a lot more screen area.

gb.

Yes, but that may just be too big for the desk area I use for work, gaming, simming. I have room for 3 screens (I have 3 now, just not great setup) or a nice 21:9. Even if I go 21:9 I may still have a small monitor off to the side of my desk, in portrait with apps (teamspeak, etc) on when I am gaming.

Took a ride to MicroCenter during lunch to stand in front of a 34 inch curved monitor. No doubt about it, the look is sweet. I would be more than content with that for absolutely any use, from any type of work or gaming. My biggest hangup is for years I've envisioned a 3 screen setup for sim racing and flight simulation that may be great for those applications but not for everything else. I just need to convince myself that perhaps this single wide screen will suit all my needs, if that is actually the case. I'll keeping looking into it online... Thanks!

I just got the Dell 34" monitor for $800 (it came down in price from when it was first released late last year). So far it is working very well. No distortions in FSX or P3D except the FMC is a bit deformed when you first open it up on the PMDG 777 or 737. There's a newer one just released by Acer that is 75 Hz instead of the normal 60 Hz. I think it will be a long time before they get to the 120Hz.

I also have a Dell 24" monitor which is not used for flight simulation except that I can put move some of the gauges over to it or open another program like ASN or ProATC-X without having to mess with the main screen.

A lot of people have problems with multiple screens as it uses more resources than normal so they get disappointed with fps and other performance issues.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim, I saw that dell monitor today at MicroCenter. I tried to get a feel for it in a flight sim so I connected to youtube and brought up the videos for A2A. However youtube would not full screen completely which I was not surprised about. But it did give me a slight look and feel as to what it might do in a flight sim environment on my desk. 

I run 3 27" monitors at 5800 x 1980 on a single 780ti and I love it. I would never go back to a single monitor rig for FSX unless I am forced to.

- Bill Magann

3 of these 

BenQ XR3501 35" Screen LED-lit Monitor

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.