Sign in to follow this  
ceno

Flyinside FSX (Virtual Reality Flight Simulator) Kickstarter Stretchgoal Prepar3d Support announced!

Dan Church is currently running a Kickstarter Campaign to bring VR Flight Simulation to the next level.

Some may know his last project: http://www.dcoc-vr.com

The Project currently runs really well and was funded quick

It was planned for FSX only, but Prepar3d is now a Stretchgoal! 20 Days to go.

Everyone who have the slightest interest for flightsimming with VR Tech (Oculus Rift/Vive)...you should really consider to support this Project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1232710074/flyinside-fsx

Thanks for posting this. Looks very interesting and feasible - and quite far down the line. Donation duly made. Next stop purchase of DK2.

cheers

Peter

This project is going to be a game changer. I have backed it for both FSX and P3D because although I am a P3D man the developer Daniel Church is currently focusing on FSX although he has just now confirmed that the P3D alpha version will be available to backers the end of this week.

I have tried the FlyInside FSX with my unused FSX SE and the result is staggering, the immersion is so realistic you really feel that you are flying. I installed my RealAir Spitfire and the experience cannot really be explained as no words can express the feeling amazement and joy of being in the cockpit of a Spitfire soaring through the clouds. No large 2d, multi screen can come anywhere near this 360 degree/3 dimensional experience so my only advice is try and and see for yourself:)

This project is going to be a game changer. I have backed it for both FSX and P3D because although I am a P3D man the developer Daniel Church is currently focusing on FSX although he has just now confirmed that the P3D alpha version will be available to backers the end of this week.

I have tried the FlyInside FSX with my unused FSX SE and the result is staggering, the immersion is so realistic you really feel that you are flying. I installed my RealAir Spitfire and the experience cannot really be explained as no words can express the feeling amazement and joy of being in the cockpit of a Spitfire soaring through the clouds. No large 2d, multi screen can come anywhere near this 360 degree/3 dimensional experience so my only advice is try and and see for yourself:)

What is the forecasted cost (approx)  for a system that will run this?  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

What is this? I used to be up on the latest tech but I don't understand what this oculus rift stuff is or what this $18k kickstarter thing is.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't understand what this oculus rift stuff is or

Plausible consumer-level virtual reality.

Plausible consumer-level virtual reality.

Consumer Ready in the next months, over 100.000 Devkits were sold during the last two years.

Virtual Reality arrived.

It is in a quality that your brain thinks the experience is real.

Currently the biggest unsolved challenge is input with proper haptic feedback.

I'm not catching on here. I know what Oculus Rift is (or is supposed to be), but this seems to be just moving the monitor to a set of screens that you wear like goggles. As I have seen Oculus Rift in action, it is total immersion, where you can touch and control what you see. Like reaching out in the PMDG 777 and turning the knob to set the altitude, or flipping switches.on the panels, or throwing the gear lever. If you can do it with the mouse, you should be able to do it with your fingers, on the panels in front of, and around you.

Although I think this is way cool, and would love to wear my monitor instead of sitting a few feet away from it, my TrackIR system works the same way. And with these goggles on, you lose sight of your controllers and keyboard. So you had better know where every switch, rotary and button is on that Saitek, and be a touch typist. I paid ~$150 for the TrackIR system, and it was well worth the money, but I am thinking that this system is going to cost a whole lot more than that. I hope you can keep the price down to where most of us can afford it.

I love the concept, and I hope it goes commercial. But until it is truly a total immersion product, where one can reach out and use the controls one sees in front of him, it will still need work. Good luck, guys.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

But until it is truly a total immersion product, where one can reach out and use the controls one sees in front of him, it will still need work.

This would be the 'Leap Motion' stretch goal on the FlyInside Kickstarter page ... :

Stretch Goal #1: Leap Motion - $20,000

FlyInside FSX is 100% funded, but that doesn't mean that the Kickstarter is over or that future features are set in stone! Now announcing stretch goal #1: If FlyInside FSX reaches $20,000 I will add Leap Motion support! 

You'll be able to press buttons inside the cockpit with your fingers. You'll be able to activate pass-through and view your hands when you need to grab something on your physical desk. It'll even support interacting with the virtual windows inside the cockpit. This won't be a gimmick either. I'll be taking the time to make the implementation user-friendly, configurable, intuitive, and above all as useful as possible!

I'm not catching on here. I know what Oculus Rift is (or is supposed to be), but this seems to be just moving the monitor to a set of screens that you wear like goggles. As I have seen Oculus Rift in action, it is total immersion, where you can touch and control what you see. Like reaching out in the PMDG 777 and turning the knob to set the altitude, or flipping switches.on the panels, or throwing the gear lever. If you can do it with the mouse, you should be able to do it with your fingers, on the panels in front of, and around you.

Although I think this is way cool, and would love to wear my monitor instead of sitting a few feet away from it, my TrackIR system works the same way. And with these goggles on, you lose sight of your controllers and keyboard. So you had better know where every switch, rotary and button is on that Saitek, and be a touch typist. I paid ~$150 for the TrackIR system, and it was well worth the money, but I am thinking that this system is going to cost a whole lot more than that. I hope you can keep the price down to where most of us can afford it.

I love the concept, and I hope it goes commercial. But until it is truly a total immersion product, where one can reach out and use the controls one sees in front of him, it will still need work. Good luck, guys.

I think this does a little more than Track IR, which I have had for some years now and sort of have a love, hate relationship with it. When I have to quickly and accurately adjust dials and switches in the cockpit, many times I find myself freezing the track IR view, and just using the mouse and joystick hat to quickly get to where I need to be focused. And when I use EZdok to jump to close up views of panels , and switch banks, I disable Track IR in the EZ DOK setting so I always get the same exact view.   I have spent hours tweaking settings on the Track IR, so that is not it. I do think Track IR works fairly well for VFR flying in something like a Cessna, but for looking around a complex cockpit with numerous small dials and switches, I don't find it that useful.  Not sure how this would all  work with Oculus Rift. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Consumer Ready in the next months, over 100.000 Devkits were sold during the last two years.

Virtual Reality arrived.

It is in a quality that your brain thinks the experience is real.

Currently the biggest unsolved challenge is input with proper haptic feedback.

I don't get how VR would apply to FSX? Can you reach out and grab switches somehow?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oculus does have the Oculus Touch controllers, along with the X-Box wireless game pad, so I can see this product headed in that direction. Once again, though, how expensive is all of this? Oculus is expecting a release sometime in Q1 of 2016. So although there is a lot of activity around these products, for us lowly consumers they don't exist yet. And no one is guessing at a price when they come on the market.

The X-Box is currently going for $175 - $250 for a decent package. The PlayStation is going for $400. What will a controller like Oculus go for?  With the game pad and the touch controllers?

Then again, who cares? If someone can pull this off and make it work, we will pay for it. Well, maybe not me, 'cause I'm broke, anyway. But when Oculus first was announced, I thought right away that "this would be very cool adapted for flight simming!" And now, here it comes.

And Bob: I think this does a little more than Track IR, which I have had for some years now and sort of have a love, hate relationship with it. When I have to adjust dials and switches in the cockpit, many times I find myself freezing the track IR view, and just using the mouse and joystick hat to quickly get to where I need to be focused. And I have spent hours tweaking settings on the Track IR, so that is not it. I do think Track IR works fairly well for VFR flying in something like a Cessna, but for looking around a complex cockpit with numerous small dials and switches, I don't find it that useful.  Not sure how this would work with Oculus Rift.

If you tweak TrackIR right, it works very well in big cockpits. In fact, with the 6DOF, I can lean in and take a closer look at some of the knobs and switches instead of using the Zoom feature on the mouse - it's quicker, easier and more intuitive. And if you start with the default settings, there's a nice "dead zone" that makes slight head movements a non-problem. As I watched the videos here, it looked almost identical to TrackIR, as I watched the split-screen of the user moving his head and the view screen in the cockpit moving in unison with it.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Oculus does have the Oculus Touch controllers, along with the X-Box wireless game pad, so I can see this product headed in that direction. Once again, though, how expensive is all of this? Oculus is expecting a release sometime in Q1 of 2016. So although there is a lot of activity around these products, for us lowly consumers they don't exist yet. And no one is guessing at a price when they come on the market.

The X-Box is currently going for $175 - $250 for a decent package. The PlayStation is going for $400. What will a controller like Oculus go for?  With the game pad and the touch controllers?

Then again, who cares? If someone can pull this off and make it work, we will pay for it. Well, maybe not me, 'cause I'm broke, anyway. But when Oculus first was announced, I thought right away that "this would be very cool adapted for flight simming!" And now, here it comes.

And Bob: I think this does a little more than Track IR, which I have had for some years now and sort of have a love, hate relationship with it. When I have to adjust dials and switches in the cockpit, many times I find myself freezing the track IR view, and just using the mouse and joystick hat to quickly get to where I need to be focused. And I have spent hours tweaking settings on the Track IR, so that is not it. I do think Track IR works fairly well for VFR flying in something like a Cessna, but for looking around a complex cockpit with numerous small dials and switches, I don't find it that useful.  Not sure how this would work with Oculus Rift.

If you tweak TrackIR right, it works very well in big cockpits. In fact, with the 6DOF, I can lean in and take a closer look at some of the knobs and switches instead of using the Zoom feature on the mouse - it's quicker, easier and more intuitive. And if you start with the default settings, there's a nice "dead zone" that makes slight head movements a non-problem. As I watched the videos here, it looked almost identical to TrackIR, as I watched the split-screen of the user moving his head and the view screen in the cockpit moving in unison with it.

I have tweaked, dead zoned, using 6DOF, etc. etc.   Still sometimes it is easier and quicker to hit F9 ( freezes it) and then I often forget to unfreeze it. Now when I fly a 172 or Cherokee, then I utilize it almost all the time.