Don't know if this has a dedicated thread, but I just wanted to know...I have been running FS2Crew for my PMDG 737NGX and 777, both voice and button, and I really do like it. I asked once about MCE but never got the chance to try the demo. But after looking at several YouTube videos about MCE, I'm impressed. Especially with the interface with Radar Contact.

SO - not to start any wars or fights (and I know what forum I'm in here), what are the main differences between the two programs, and why would you recommend MCE (if you would) over FS2Crew? FS2Crew is getting ready to release a brand new system for the 737NGX, and before I spend money on it, I'd really like to make an informed decision. MCE might just be the way to go.

Input?

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

They are both very good add ons. fS2Crew is a more rigid, dedicated add on. It is made specifically for one aircraft, and has recorded phrases, so every flight you will hear exactly the same things from your crew.

Having said that, the immersion it gives you is very very good.

MCE started off as a program to give you the ability to control FSX or P3D with voice only, but since they also provide a control interface, it is very easy to create your own FS2Crew style of flows and even checklists. Because MCE was designed to access many menus, it uses "stitched up" sentences. The pros is the you are not restricted to saying the same phrase every single time and get the same response, you will get variety. The Con is that it does not sound as fluid as FS2Crew but you get used to it. Also, MCE works with about 20 aircraft. Look up the videos by David Herky, what he achieved is incredible, even inserted recordings of his family reading briefings, etc, and it works with GSX or AES. It has a Free time limited demo. As a user am very happy with it, but again, FS2Crew is a very good dedicated add on.

Ditto everything Will has said.

I would add, what I consider the main difference between the two programs is, namely, support.

MCE gives you direct support from the guy who coded MCE. If you find an issue, it can be resolved quickly and efficiently.

Then there is the flexibility of MCE. You can add, alter or amend any checklist or flow, depending upon your own skills, education and experience. If you are a pilot on the "Type" you are flying in the simulator, you may wish to add check items or flow items you use or have seen used. You can with MCE. Alternatively you can use those that came with the MCE sim.

If you like sharing checklists and flows, you may upload them to Avsim Library. I have a small collection, search for "David Herky".

MCE permits you to have "Lorna" or "William" working Radar Contact. This functions nicely in the simulated emergency conditions where you, as captain, have full control of the aircraft, whilst the First Officer deals with ATC, (After you have the emergency condition under control of course!).

Finally, the vulgar issue of money. With MCE you buy it once. Then get every FSX native aircraft supported and as new add on aircraft are released and added to the stable, they don't cost a penny!!!

My case rests:-)

best regards

David.

MCE gives you direct support from the guy who coded MCE. If you find an issue, it can be resolved quickly and efficiently.

iam sure  that bryan from fs2crew  gives  just  as much  or  more  support,   since he  does one on one sessions if he  cant  get  it fixed using  the support forums

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

iam sure  that bryan from fs2crew  gives  just  as much  or  more  support,   since he  does one on one sessions if he  cant  get  it fixed using  the support forums

Perhaps your correct. I have no empirical facts to validate that. However my opinion stated above, is based upon my personal experience with MCE support, which I have found to be exemplary.

One other point, I forgot to state, is that MCE is free to download and try out. One only needs to buy it if its satisfactory.

regards

David.

Perhaps your correct. I have no empirical facts to validate that. However my opinion stated above, is based upon my personal experience with MCE support, which I have found to be exemplary.

One other point, I forgot to state, is that MCE is free to download and try out. One only needs to buy it if its satisfactory.

regards

David.

I don't have time to add too much as I am about to head out to work, but I use FS2Crew and LOVE it. I am especially excited about the Reboot that is about to come out with more SOP sets which will add variety instead of "the same old thing". Also, I have received awesome one on one support and forum support as well directly from the maker without delay.

First of all, I've done some audio editing and voice work for the upcoming FS2Crew NGX Reboot (the 737 NGX seems to be the main point of the thread) so despite my somewhat 'affiliation' I'll try to be objective about both as much as I can (I'm also aware of which forum I'm in!)

I too didn't get a chance to try out the MCE demo. After installing, a few things came up which led to the demo expiring before I could try it. That's my fault though! I'm not complaining. So, I'll have to base my opinion on what I've read from reviews and seen on YouTube.

As Will Reynolds pointed out, MCE covers more planes and is somewhat of a 'jack of all trades' and you've got the radar contact integration and the recent X-Plane support. All of these features are definitely pluses when it comes to MCE. I really like the tweakability of it too, I'd place myself firmly in the 'sim tweaking' camp and I could see myself really customizing MCE to a point that I'd want it.

As for support being the main difference? I wouldn't agree with that. From what David said, support for both products sounds exactly the same. You get support directly from the developer, which is great for all of us.

I'd say that from what I've read and seen, FS2Crew is definitely more 'focused' and doesn't have the tweakability of MCE, each plane you use requires a separately purchased FS2Crew edition. This is obviously more costly, but it means that each version is written specifically for that plane. The imminent NGX Reboot has again had input from Real World 737 pilots and contains 3 different SOPs from real world airlines with specific voice commands and recordings for those airlines. While MCE is more flexible, the 'stitching' together of multiple words results in somewhat of a 'William Shatner' experience when listening to the MCE FO replies. This is not an inherently 'bad' thing, it's just a compromise of it's flexibility (FS2Crew also suffers from this when reading back headings and altitudes)

At the end of the day, competition is healthy for us simmers and the recent advances in voice recognition means that addons like these are only going to improve in the future. It always comes down to weighing up the pros and cons of each addon and deciding which is best for you.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

I would add, what I consider the main difference between the two programs is, namely, support.

I own FS2Crew for the 737 and 777, and have had nothing but pleasure using it. And the very few times when I had a problem, it was solved quickly, thanks mostly to Bryan and his "crew". In this regard, I have absolutely NO complaints. So as far as support goes, I'm going to say that it (in all likelihood) isn't, or won't be, a problem.

Then there is the flexibility of MCE. You can add, alter or amend any checklist or flow, depending upon your own skills, education and experience. If you are a pilot on the "Type" you are flying in the simulator, you may wish to add check items or flow items you use or have seen used. You can with MCE. Alternatively you can use those that came with the MCE sim.

If you like sharing checklists and flows, you may upload them to Avsim Library. I have a small collection, search for "David Herky".

MCE permits you to have "Lorna" or "William" working Radar Contact. This functions nicely in the simulated emergency conditions where you, as captain, have full control of the aircraft, whilst the First Officer deals with ATC, (After you have the emergency condition under control of course!).

This is the main feature that got me about MCE. It IS true that FS2Crew isn't flexible in this regard (to date, anyway), but then again, if you're flying for a particular airline, it better be "flows by rote." More than anything else, I like the "control by voice" thing. I like FS2Crew voice, and combined with TrackIR, the less I have to touch that mouse (or keyboard) the better.

Finally, the vulgar issue of money. With MCE you buy it once. Then get every FSX native aircraft supported and as new add on aircraft are released and added to the stable, they don't cost a penny!!!

My case rests:-)

Main point, and I get it. FS2Crew is a purchase for each aircraft they support. The 777 doesn't work for the 737, the PMDG doesn't work for the Mad Dog, etc. For the most part, this doesn't bother me, because I don't have that big of a tube-liner fleet. But I do have the Mad Dog and the Coolsky Super 80, which MCE MIGHT work wirh (?). I still think FS2Crew is a great product, and I may still pop for the new Reboot (if it's not too expensive). Meanwhile, I guess it's time to download and try the MCE experience and see which I prefer.

Thanks for the input.

-= Gary Barth =-

I have the two products.

Fs2Crew : Very nice program but strictly scripted program. You must say the sentence with the correct word (no synonym), vocabulary and syntax are very restraint. I had many of them in my hangar that I don't use anymore since I bought Mce !

Mce : Very flexible and versatile program. Very rich vocabulary. Allows you to edit and/or create these own scripts. Great support.

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I have the two products.

Fs2Crew : Very nice program but strictly scripted program. You must say the sentence with the correct word (no synonym), vocabulary and syntax are very restraint. I had many of them in my hangar that I don't use anymore since I bought Mce !

Mce : Very flexible and versatile program. Very rich vocabulary. Allows you to edit and/or create these own scripts. Great support.

Regards,

Richard Portier

Any problems with having both of them installed? I may very well stick with FS2Crew (for now) with my PMDGs while using MCE for the Coolsky and Mad Dog. And maybe for the upcoming purchase of the Majestic Dash 8. My only problem right now is the price. At $70 USD, I may have to wait awhile. :rolleyes:

-= Gary Barth =-

Gary,

No problem with having both installed.

You'r right, $70 is of course a certain amount but you pay just once for all aircraft you have. More, if you have the PMDG MD11 Mce works great with her, btw concerning the MD11there is only a button FS2Crew version. It seems there will be no way to have a voice version someday.

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I use MCE for callouts and commands, but not ATC or checklists ..... its flexible in that way as well !!

for now, cheers

john martin

I'm the other way round and let MCE talk to ATC (actually RC4) whilst I do the fun bit... fly the plane!

Just shows what a versatile program MCE is. :smile:

To me, it's not even close, MCE is the far superior program.  The versatility and ability to create your own flows and scripts to coincide with your virtual airlines SOPs is second to none; moreover, its ability to recognize multiple synthetics and overall accuracy is simply amazing. The best part, its consistently updated and covers every aircraft in your fleet.  Another poster mentioned he/she was excited about the NGX reboot?  Excited to pay for yet another upgrade?  I would literally have to pay 20x  to procure each individual FS2Crew application to cover my fleet.   My advice, pay for an exceptional program once, and only once!  

Matt King

To me, it's not even close, MCE is the far superior program. The versatility and ability to create your own flows and scripts to coincide with your virtual airlines SOPs is second to none; moreover, its ability to recognize multiple synthetics and overall accuracy is simply amazing. The best part, its consistently updated and covers every aircraft in your fleet. Another poster mentioned he/she was excited about the NGX reboot? Excited to pay for yet another upgrade? I would literally have to pay 20x to procure each individual FS2Crew application to cover my fleet. My advice, pay for an exceptional program once, and only once!

I don't have more than one aircraft in the fleet that I need it for so that argument doesn't apply to everyone. The OP said they only fly the NGX and 777 and inquired about updating for the 737 so it really isn't a large cost/fleet issue for some. It isn't any different than folks that pay $80 for the NGX in another platform again...oh wait it is 1/4 the price and a discount is included for current users.

NGX Reboot also includes emergency in the first update for free. Real procedures and SOP's written by pilots in specific airlines for specific SOP sets, no setup needed plug and play.