Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

HyperThreading on or off? P3D2.5+ Only

Hey,

I have a i7-5820K with (ultra stable overclock at 4.3).  I did notice something interesting with the latest release (2.5.12946.0) and it is a subtle observation; I did see Core 0 (and its hyper thread Core), acting different from rest of the 5 cores (10 cores total), when the sim is operation.  It seems Core 0(plus HT Core 1) is not being pushed that much, but when I disable those cores via Process monitor and enable them again, I get slightly more CPU usage spike.  It is more subtle than 2.4 release of P3D (or was it 2.3)...anyway. 

What do you recommend should I use All my Cores (with HT) - 12 Cores or disable HT and use 6 cores or go with 5 cores or (10 Cores HT - I guess I could even go 11 cores (disable only Core 0 and keep Core 1 active) via JobSchedule string in Prepar3d.cfg 

Thanks,

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

On here always has been always will be - much better on my rig anyway

Rich Sennett

On

7 threads, leaving CPU-0 open to all other apps

sometimes i use all 8 not much diff,

Avid lurker here!

HT on with no affinity! I do however stop as many services and processes as possible, nothing fancy just task manager!

One last trick that seems to work is setting an affinity for those processes that are left that will allow...in my case I make all processes

work on cores 2 through 11. This seems to keep my busiest cores, 0 and 1 from maxing during load!

Happy flying!!!

I wrote a guide on using the affinity mask for v2.2 and I saw no benefit using it in v2.3 and v2.4 but with v2.5, I get 5fps+ and smoother general performance using it. I have a quad core with hyperthreading on and use a setting of 254 but this is machine/set-up specific, you will need to test variations and find what works best for you. To make it clear, I only see a boost in performance using 254 and with hyperthreading on, not with any other setting and in v2.3 this was different. I also force other utiltites to run on cores that are not used much during a flight. You can find the guide here.

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10, Varjo Aero, DOF H3

You can find the guide here.

And a mighty fine guide it is  :)

Rich Sennett

Thanks Toby, indeed a fine guide, even more as I have a 4+4 core CPU, too. I have been running HT off in 2.5 so far but will try your settings. Nothing to loose :-)

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

SO what is the correct affinity setting for a 5820k with hyperthreading on? I have the same processor running SLI. 

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

SO what is the correct affinity setting for a 5820k with hyperthreading on? I have the same processor running SLI. 

With all 6 Cores and 6 Threads (12 Cores)

The correct settings will be

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=4095

And Toby, a fine guide indeed.

Thank You everyone for suggestions.  Keep them coming (your experiences with the cores).  Today I will try with All cores but without Core 0 and its thread 1 off

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

There is no such thing as 'the correct value'.
The affinity mask is as unique as your nose.

It depends on your hardware, your settings, your add-ons etc etc

If you want an easy way to figure out a value to use, look in the task manager with P3D running and note which cores it uses most.

Add the values of those cores from the list below together to get your Affinity Mask value.

For example, I want P3D to access all cores/threads except 0, so I assign a value of 254.

Core = Value

0 = 1

1 = 2

2 = 4

3 = 8

4 = 16

5 = 32

6 = 64

7 = 128

(TOTAL 255)

Toby,

this would imply you see core 0 not much used without an affinity mask as you excepted it, right? Just wondering.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

No, quite the opposite.

If I don't restrict P3D from using it, it will max out core 0, causing more stutters than usual.

Doing this allows it to stretch its legs on the other cores instead as Windows and other apps prefer to use core 0.

Thanks, this sounds plausible. Core is indeed at 100 % nearly all of the time.

Kind regards, Michael

With HT on , I get better stability and OC with HT

Get process Laso, move all non essential user stuff to core 0and 1, that is HT_1

get p3d off core0/1, let p3d use all other cores

in my case for example ASN is on cores 0/1/2/3

p3d on 2/3/4/5/6//7/8 of i7490k

Stuff like word gsx fscommander, flight 1 gtn are all on first 4 cores or less

example gtn is on 0/1/2/3

But HT on Is best, using Laso turn off core parking and no need to worry about affinity masks ever, just do in laso DONE

Laso if very usefull for taming all non essential tasks, plus no more binary do your head in calculation for affinity mask

That said I still use Iobit gamebooster to kill all the usual stuff, then I deal with the rest in laso

the sim is too hungary to allow it to use all cores, causes stutters

Also another good link for calculating cores.

The easy option on the top does calculations with core 0 set to disabled.  Whereas in the advanced one, one can enable all and play around

http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=hardware