Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

So... I got p3dv2...

Installed it a couple of days ago. Enjoying a lot so far, as reported at another post.

I decided to install ORBX FTX Global and got weird scenery spikes randomly on scenery areas with buildings. Apparently gone when reducing autogen density. I have tesselation at the default setting, and my graphics card is an old GTX 650 Ti with 1GB "only"... 

Two questions:

1) What's the overall opinion regarding AffinityMask in P3dv2.5 ? Should I use it ( set at 14 for my quad-core i5 2500 with no HT ), or should I leave all cores enabled ?

2) Tesselation: For such a low end GPU, how do you think I should set my tessellation factor ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

HT on

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=84

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10

OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1

Rich Sennett

My settings are exactly as Rich suggests except for FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01, FYI.

All is quite well in P3D2.5.

Good luck and happy flying!

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

My settings are exactly as Rich suggests except for FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01, FYI.

Ooops forgot the happy flying thing  :wink:

Rich Sennett

OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1

What's this for ????

I can set my affinity to 14, since being an i5 2500 without HT, it'll set the last 3 cores for P3Dv2, but I reverted to full core use.

I believe the "artifacts" I am seiing have to do with the "Tessellation factor" nad the fact that my graphics card is low end ... I have to upgrade one day ...

Thx Guys for all of your suggestions!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

It changes the way that visible parts in the cockpit are managed.

I'm sure there is a more accurate explanation elsewhere but the net effect is a big speed boost on high complexity addons such as the NGX, but little to no impact on simpler ones. And as far as I know, there are no known side effects....

I find leaving affinity alone gives best results on my PC with 2.5 - I have the same CPU as you. Some versions prior to 2.5 worked better with different core management. Using AF=14 gives the same result as the default, by using all four cores, so there is no point adding it.

If you get blurries - use all cores.  FFTF defaults to 0.10 for any setting below that.

It's a bit of trial and error - you need to match your settings to youor hardware and you are on the short end with that video card. As you may know, P3D offloaded a lot more processing to the GPU than FSX. Your spikes are simply overloaded GPU - lighten the load by whichever method you want.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/optimize_parts-what-does-it-do/

Hey,

This attempts to optimize multiple parts of a model by combining them into fewer meshes if possible. If you have a complex model that is not already optimized to reduce draw calls etc, this will attempt to do that for you. There is some overhead to this, as it happens at runtime when the model is being loaded and ideally the model would already be optimized before runtime. This only happens for FSX Models, and not older model types.

That is what I gathered from a quick look over, hopefully that helps.

Thanks,
-Kevin.

Prepar3D® Graphics Software Engineer

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

Thank you all again.

Changed it already, and also playing with that other "OPTIMIZE_DENSE_CLOUDS"

Main Simulation Rig:

What till one day before your full refund window closes and then get the refund. A couple of weeks later by Prepar3D V3

14 in binary is 1110 so it leaves a core for the OS and is what I use with my overclocked 3820. Core 1 takes most of the load then 2,3. Core 0, running the OS and other applications shows the lightest load when using P3D. I chose not to HT and my results are very satisfactory.

James McLees

Well guys,

just another thumbs up! regarding P3Dv2.5 - I am seriously impressed by it's performance, and for instance in the CARENADO B1900d, my only CARENADO ever for FSX/ P3D, I got a significant improvement in FPS in the cockpit when using "OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1" !!!

The clouds in P3Dv2 also look a lot more interesting / realistic than those I had ( also always default ) in FSX and FSX:SE.

Main Simulation Rig:

Installed it a couple of days ago

Seriously, Jcomm?  ^_^  You run P3D now? what happened to your favorite PSX?  :lol: :rolleyes: 

It's still alive and kicking, but I was willing to test the reports  from VisualPSX users with P3Dv2. They were unanimous in confirming smoothness and I had some quirks with FSX:SE, so... went ahead, and bought it :)

Main Simulation Rig: