Sign in to follow this  
jcpg

Helicopter landings.

Hi good people,

I'm flying helicopters to add some variety to the sim and recently I bought some nice ones and managed to fly them fairly good.  But I found just one problem.   And that is when coming to land, I can not slow down the forward speed, or momentum.   If I slow down while still coming down, or well in advance I might be in a situation that I start maybe going backwards and/or sideways on touch down.   I hope I'm being clear on what the problem is.  I see real helicoprters just hovering and slowly lower and touch down.  My landings are a bit uneasy and nervous, so to speak.  I can hover without problems, but the slowing down is not smooth.   Maybe there is a technic on how this maneuver is done properly. Perhaps some heli master" can shade some light on this matter.   I would be thankful.  I got myself the Cera's UH-60L Blackhawk which is a realistic helicopter, more for advanced simmers or pilots, but I'll get it right...

Thanks in advance.

John

Basically to slow down you just need to start lowering the collective and gradually pulling back on the cyclic so that your not losing altitude and keep an eye on the VSI to check that your vertical speed it at or near zero. Once you get to the speed you want the you can hold it there or make small adjustments to both the cyclic and collective to maintain it.

Basically it's the same principle to flying a plane. To slow down you reduce throttle and use pitch to maintain your vertical speed at zero if you want to maintain the same altitude.

It takes a lot of practice and hopefully you have the appropriate controllers to help out. When I fly choppers I do it with an X52 using the separate throttle for the collective and the stick as the cyclic, plus a set of rotor pedals is pretty much mandatory as using a twist grip for rudder control is more difficult.

Flying choppers while difficult in both real life and the sim when starting out, is even harder in the sim because you can't feel what the aircraft is doing, so you have to rely more on you VSI so that you can tell if your ascending or descending.

All you can do is practice, practice, and practice. When I first started flying choppers in the sim I spent hours upon hours just maintaining and good steady hover, then flying around airports at 10 feet off the ground at 15kts following taxiways, stopping at intersections maintaining a hover, then proceeding to follow another taxiway. I'd make laps around the airport doing this then landing at my starting position and doing it again.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

start by gently reducing the collective and at the same time slowly pull on the cyclic--you'll maintain altitude and go nose up attitude.  this will slow you down.

cera uh60 is a good choice.  see landing sequence at the end, nose up, bleed speed, descend, hover to land...  

https://youtu.be/4RIxJfIQE0U

[media][/media]

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

start by gently reducing the collective and at the same time slowly pull on the cyclic--you'll maintain altitude and go nose up attitude. this will slow you down.

I'd have to agree.

Basically to slow down you just need to start lowering the collective and gradually pulling back on the cyclic so that your not losing altitude and keep an eye on the VSI to check that your vertical speed it at or near zero.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for all the tips on this matter, guys.    I'll definitely practice my skills on all the advise you people sent.   I usually fly

the heavies on FS  but  always loved helies.  In fact, sometimes I also fly RC chopper models I own.   They slow down much faster

than in FS but I do think I got the formula" now.

Cheers.

john goncalves