Sign in to follow this  
vegasjon

Possible 787 development? Maybe crowdfund?

I fly the PMDG aircraft almost exclusively as I love the realism of the avionics and systems. The 737 NGX is my favorite so far, with the 777 and then the 747 close behind. I was wondering the possibility of the PMDG development team looking at creating the 787 series? What do you think about performing a survey to the customer base and see if crowdfunding it would be an option if that would assist with the process? 

Also, will there be a large difference between the current 747-400/800 model and the new one coming out?

Jon Richardson

Las Vegas, NV

Jon Richardson

Raleigh, NC

I don't think it's an issue of cost, but rather the time factor involved, with modeling all of the complex systems. PMDG's DC-6 is still a WIP, and it was announced back in 2012...

Alan  :mellow:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

What do you think about performing a survey to the customer base and see if crowdfunding it would be an option if that would assist with the process? 

I highly doubt we'd ever crowdfund anything. I wouldn't consider it to be necessary, and taking money prior to releasing something is a highly risky practice. It's more of a development schedule thing. At the moment, we have a number of projects going on, so when we'd be able to get to any new projects beyond our current scope is a discussion for a later time.

Also, will there be a large difference between the current 747-400/800 model and the new one coming out?

Tons of differences, though only for the 747-400. Think of it as what the NGX was to the original NG for FS9. We're not making a 747-800.

(Before everyone starts losing their minds, the latter comment is a joke. The 747-800 doesn't exist - it's only the 747-8. This will be a full simulation of the -8, unlike the previous version which was a model only.)

Kyle Rodgers

Someone is already making the 787. 

http://qualitywingssim.com/787.html

Are they STILL working on it?  If memory serves, they made their announcement to that aircraft back on 2011-2012.  Their teaser shots are getting a lot of dust on them.

There's nothing wrong with other devs creating the same aircraft.  It's called competition, which is something that keeps this community thriving.  Look at how many worked on the A-320 series. :)

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

(...)

(...)

The current B744v1 has an alternative 2D cockpit and the Virtual Cockpit can entirely be disabled.   :P

Are they STILL working on it?  If memory serves, they made their announcement to that aircraft back on 2011-2012.  Their teaser shots are getting a lot of dust on them.

Unlike PMDG, qualitywing is a group of people who have full time jobs and only produce their aircraft on a weekend or their free time. Hence its taking a while for them to get it out.

Their teaser shots are getting a lot of dust on them.

Don't know where you did get this information. They are continuously releasing updates on the development progress as well as new teaser shots and videos. Just check their Facebook page.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Don't know where you did get this information. They are continuously releasing updates on the development progress as well as new teaser shots and videos. Just check their Facebook page.

Well that explains it...I don't use Facebook. :)

I spoke figuratively about the screenshots, btw.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Unlike PMDG, qualitywing is a group of people who have full time jobs and only produce their aircraft on a weekend or their free time. Hence its taking a while for them to get it out.

Hmm...might be best to be mindful of your assumption there. My 0430 wake up call, 2.5 hour daily commute into and out of the city, and day job would beg to differ with it. And my situation is not unique.

Either way, let's avoid comparative comments between us and other devs here, please. That goes for everyone. Each dev has its own unique challenges and group of people producing their work. If you'd like to criticize PMDG, have at it. Anyone else? Take it somewhere else, please. For what it's worth, I thought the "they still haven't released it yet" was pretty benign. I just want to make it clear that I don't want the discussion to continue to develop into criticism of QW.

Kyle Rodgers

Clear, to the point, and professional. Well done PMDG.

I wasn't criticizing PMDG or QW (both companies have brilliant products).

Kyle - doesn't PMDG work on there aircraft as full time jobs?

I wasn't criticizing PMDG or QW (both companies have brilliant products).

I know you weren't. I just wanted to be sure people didn't see your interaction with Jim as the beginnings of a PMDG v QW discussion, that's all.

Kyle - doesn't PMDG work on there aircraft as full time jobs?

Nope. Most all of the team members I interact with regularly have another job. Heck, as RSR has alluded to a couple times (in posts, but he also made a joke about it in the FlightSimCon 2015 video), even he has another job consulting with the airlines.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok that clears it up... i was under the impression that PMDG work on their maircrtaft full time.

There's nothing wrong with other devs creating the same aircraft.  It's called competition, which is something that keeps this community thriving.  Look at how many worked on the A-320 series. :)

-Jim

Why is it a surpirse to you or cause of capitals use that they're STILL working on it from 2012? As you can read on this same thread PMDG has been working since then on the DC and it's STILL not ready... Let's not have double standards here, this takes a LOT of work....