Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

VAS comments by Beau

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Interesting, indeed.

I wonder if deleting these files or replacing them with dummy files will decrease the VAS consumption and, if it does, to what degree.

I personally don't have many problems with VAS, but it is nice to see that they are looking into these things.

Kay Morten Magelie no.png

Interesting indeed! Thanks Vic. Just need someone whose handy with image manipulation to resize the "stubs"...please and thanks.

+1 Well spotted and thanks for posting this little snippet Vic.

Thanks for posting this very informative.

Steve.

Thanks for posting Vic, explains a few VAS issues I was having with oceans.

Cheers, Rob.

Yep,

I also notice massive VAS drops and I even read this thread on orbx forums about this - similar thread is on LM forums too.  Great job Beau

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100681-potential-massive-vas-leak-area-found-pnw-kors-to-cyvr/

Can someone resize these files or something

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I think Rich S. is going to volunteer for the job ... Rich??  :)

Cheers, Rob.

+1 Rob. I think that Rich has WAY too much time on his hands!  :P

If these ocean texture files are loaded and not used, what about other texture files related to scenery ? It is a step in the right direction, but I'd be interested to know from others whether this will impact a scenario where you are loaded up at London Heathrow for example? Will ocean files load up in this scenario too or only when the ocean scenery is within LOD range?

Interesting. I would also point folks to the pinned topic on optimizing and mipmapping textures. Let me tell you that has also made a huge difference for me. FSDreamteam KLAX, for example, has always been a major VAS hog. Several of the texture files were over 12,000 kb. After compressing and optimizing, these files are now 5000 kb or less and downsized to 1024 px. Now I have no VAS issues flying into KLAX in the NGX. I have plenty of room left (meaning 600,000 to 800,000 remaining) after parking at the gate. Best part is the airport still looks great, even up close.

I can't wait to try Beau's suggestions too.

Cheers,

Todd

I didnt get file changes to work maybe I am mis-understanding the down sizing waiting for others to chime in

Rich Sennett

I think Neil from fight or flight fame has done the conversion - so hang in there guys - at first glance it appears I did the same thing but not to the files Beau said were ok to move out of folder

Rich Sennett

I think Neil from fight or flight fame has done the conversion - so hang in there guys

Richie, you little snitch! :D

Alright, I followed the instructions from Beau and converted the files with irfanview and imagetool (from the SDK)

Disclaimer: for the love of...Rob. BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFOREHAND in case you need/want to revert

EDIT: Read this post first - http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/vas-usage-related-to-water-detail-settings/#post-112054 This zip file was made before this post from Beau.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxnc6en0v7y2w6o/Tex.zip?dl=0

I also resized the files that Beau said were ok to rename/remove just to be on the safe side. I've been fairly busy tonight so I haven't had time to test.

If you do test them out, let us know how it goes.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter