Sign in to follow this  
DragonAsh

Flight schools in UK?

Can anyone recommend a flight school for someone looking to get a private pilot's license in the UK? Ideally would be reasonably close to the London area. 

TIA

Scott

What's wrong with Google?

If the results are anything like what you get in the US it is next to useless. I'm not sure why it is but easy to locate a flight school and it is also difficult to find information about them or specific instructors.

I would recommend finding a flying club and speaking with their members.

Scott - please ignore the unfirendly "try Google" posts. They are becoming more and more frequent here these days.

You asked for a recommendation, and I would suggest The Pilot Centre at Denham airfield, near Uxbridge. Tight circuit and v. busy on flyable days (as all clubs near London will be), but a nice atmosphere there. C152's mostly, with C180's, C172 and C182's for later on.

Further afield - not sure whats at Cranfield these days? I also here Booker has a good school or two.

Cheers, Rich

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

When you say close to the London area do you mean north east west or south of London?

For the North East  of London you've got a flying school at Stapleford Airfield. Just to the the West of London you've got White Waltham Airfield and Blackbushe airport.

Those are the ones I'm aware of. I have no direct experience of any of these.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/flying+school/@51.5286823,-0.223111,10z

I found Pilot magazine on Google, which has a list of flying schools in the UK arranged by county.

Dugald Walker

And did it "recommend" one? No. Hence the OP's post in a forum asking for recommendations.

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

Jetset408,

Although your recommendations are exactly what the OP is looking for, there may be good schools which you are not aware of, so it's useful to have a reference list of what's available so that he can ask about the ones which have not yet been recommended, which may be geographically more suitable. Perhaps he already has a list and so mine is redundant.

Dugald Walker

Scott - please ignore the unfirendly "try Google" posts. They are becoming more and more frequent here these days.

You asked for a recommendation, and I would suggest The Pilot Centre at Denham airfield, near Uxbridge. Tight circuit and v. busy on flyable days (as all clubs near London will be), but a nice atmosphere there. C152's mostly, with C180's, C172 and C182's for later on.

Further afield - not sure whats at Cranfield these days? I also here Booker has a good school or two.

Cheers, Rich

Plus 1, I did all of my PPL here, great aircraft, great people and challenging flying

Scott - please ignore the unfirendly "try Google" posts.

Even so Google found more hits  than you did!

More schools but no recommendations, which is what the OP really wanted.

Dugald Walker

No worthwhile recommenations either. I wouldn't choose school basic on that basis.

It's essential to visit the school and, even more importantly, speak to the actual instructor to make sure you are compatible. After your it's your money you are spending.

I don't think Google do flying lessons any more, do they? :BigGrin: .

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

You might want to try Mid Anglia School of Flying at Cambridge Airport. Little over an hour by train from Kings Cross, and then a short taxi or bus ride. I expect it would be more convenient to London than Cranfield, as going by car out of  London is a nightmare. I Started at MASF last year, but have temporarily terminated flying lessons (due to finances), and I was impressed with the instructors and fleet. They use PA-28's exclusively which will be important if you prefer a low wing aeroplane, as most schools seem to use Cessna's.

Here is a link to them:

http://www.masfcambridge.com/

I hope to start lessons again shortly.

Mike

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

What's wrong with Google?

It isn't a flight school.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Ron, but I forgive him since it's his birthday......and also mine :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png