Sign in to follow this  
Flying Penguin

Interesting Article on Prepar3D Website

Nice to see.  I've been working with commercials flight sims since the late 80's, and have seen drastic improvements in the technology. What took 2 or 3   SGI computers a couple of decades ago to do,  can be done on a PC today for the most part. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Nice to see.  I've been working with commercials flight sims since the late 80's, and have seen drastic improvements in the technology. What took 2 or 3   SGI computers a couple of decades ago to do,  can be done on a PC today for the most part. 

ive been wondering on those airline training simulators what are in those computers to make it run good, and what simulator? cpu, graphic card, motherboard, etc?

ive been wondering on those airline training simulators what are in those computers to make it run good, and what simulator? cpu, graphic card, motherboard, etc?

My experience of ESP/FSX based airline training simulators, whilst limited to fixed base ones, is that they have either turned the graphics right down or are using very little in the way of obviously high-end payware (unlike most hobby users), so I suspect their specifications would be surprisingly modest.

My experience of ESP/FSX based airline training simulators, whilst limited to fixed base ones, is that they have either turned the graphics right down or are using very little in the way of obviously high-end payware (unlike most hobby users), so I suspect their specifications they would be surprisingly modest.

Well are you referring to a custom built one that i can build in my house if i had the funds to. Because thats what im actually trying to invest in. Its hard finding the 737 compartments online, and even harder to make them by hand.

Well are you referring to a custom built one that i can build in my house if i had the funds to. Because thats what im actually trying to invest in. Its hard finding the 737 compartments online, and even harder to make them by hand.

No, I'm talking about ones used by actual airlines, though if you look at the second link I posted, there are a number of shots of the sims in use and they don't look to be using high end payware either (FlyTampa, Rex 4, PMDG etc)

My point is more that professional setups I've seen value speed and reliability over cutting edge (for simulators) visuals, and are therefore probably a poor template for a high end, payware intensive, home hobby setup.  Even my gaming laptop will feed a couple of screens (enough for a decent simulator) if I turn the sliders right down and run near stock.

No, I'm talking about ones used by actual airlines, though if you look at the second link I posted, there are a number of shots of the sims in use and they don't look to be using high end payware either (FlyTampa, Rex 4, PMDG etc)

My point is more that professional setups I've seen value speed and reliability over cutting edge (for simulators) visuals, and are therefore probably a poor template for a high end, payware intensive, home hobby setup.  Even my gaming laptop will feed a couple of screens (enough for a decent simulator) if I turn the sliders right down and run near stock.

hmm i may do that, since im running max settings almost 

Ohhhhhhhhholllllyyyyyyyyyycrapppppppppppp....I want one soooooooooooooobaddddddddddddddd!!!!!

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Professional Level-D simulator visuals are actually quite stunning.

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

Professional Level-D simulator visuals are actually quite stunning.

True, the only ones I've seen in action are fixed based and most definitely not cutting edge!

There are some interesting videos linked to in that article. The most impressive is the direct comparison of a $3 million dollar military sim versus the  Surround View Flight Simulators (SVFS) like the two being used at the Johnson Sim Lab:

And the Johnson Sim Lab itself!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There are some interesting videos linked to in that article. The most impressive is the direct comparison of a $3 million dollar military sim versus the  Surround View Flight Simulators (SVFS) like the two being used at the Johnson Sim Lab:

And the Johnson Sim Lab itself!

for some reason i wouldnt like the surround view. I personally would need the full cockpit setup 

Edited by n4gix
Please do not quote images.

Simulators for Military and Civilian use by the Airlines. They used to use SGI computers on a few, no idea about GPUs motherboards etc, most of it was probably custom made. These sims go up to $30 million dollars sometimes. Not going to get their Hardware at microcenter ;) 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Does anyone know, where we can find those small surround seamless projector ?

Is it the company on the video that Michael C. Pohl mention?

Unfortunately on their website there is nothing about those screen.

Thank's

Does anyone know, where we can find those small surround seamless projector ?

Is it the company on the video that Michael C. Pohl mention?

Unfortunately on their website there is nothing about those screen.

I did a bit of "Google Diving" researching your questions.

First of all, these "screens" are hand-built by Michael. They are constructed in four sections, and are made of molded fiberglass using a custom, ball-shaped mold he also made. These four sections are then transported to wherever they are to be used, then connected together and carefully sealed, sanded, and polished before painting the final, smooth surface.

The single projector is overhead. Although not disclosed, one would have to assume that he is using top of the line, bright and extremely high-resolution projectors for these systems.

The 'secret' to his success is that the final image from P3D is "pre-warped" using custom software before being sent to the projector. If you watch the videos from the three schools who have his systems installed, you can see the "pre-warped" image in the instructor station screens. They are on monitors just above the instrument panel monitors.

Apparently, aside from the ones he has at his "Mall of America" location, there are only the six he's made for the three schools thus far. I have to assume that those were custom made especially for those three schools. There does not seem to be any attempt to mass-produce and market these systems at this juncture.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator