Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Did I miss a waypoint or something?

I've had this happen long ago, and don't know what the solution was, I think I may have missed a way point or something, but it didn't seem like I was being lead back to one. I was being given directions to land at KTPA, and suddenly got ordered by the ATC to head north, and then the ATC seemed to just forget my plane existed, and it looked as though I'd be flying north forever, I never got turned towards the last waypoint. What happened here?

Without more info it's difficult if not impossible to answer your question. Tampa has no high ground so that won't be an issue.

Try flying it again and see what happens.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I was either on the last turn, or the next to last turn before going into the ILS for landing. That is how close I was. I don't know what else I can give you, beyond the fact that it was fair weather mostly, very hazy but that wouldn't cause an issue I don't think? Would wind be a factor? I confess not knowing the speed or direction.

Within 40 miles of arrival you are under the control of Approach. You will be given headings to fly that will finish with a heading 30° off the runway heading.

That would mean you're close to the localiser / glideslope and you should then change heading for a landing as the localiser becomes active.

The only time you would be further instructed at that point is if there was traffic on the runway in which case you would be instructed to go-around. You fly the runway heading (north at Tampa?) and would then receive further instructions once a certain distance from the airport.

Were you instructed to "go-around"?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Nope, only head to such and such degrees, and then... nothing.  it never contacted me again, after 5 minutes of flying I just turned it off, I'll try it again today just to see what happens.

Post your flight plan here and I'll see I can do. What aircraft are you flying?

Does it do this only at Tampa or everywhere?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think he's experiencing what happened to me at KOAK.  ATC sends you on a heading and forgets about you.  It's probably a bug but doesn't happen that often.  The only thing you can do is request a visual or IAP approach and either follow the STAR or vector yourself in.  I hope this can help.

Thanks, and it happens to me once in awhile, not often. On this flight I was flying a Lancair Legacy, VQQ JUTTS OCF LMMO DADES 'RVSIM @ 18000 KJAX to KTPA.

I don't have anything that slow. :wink: I'll try it in a 737-800 tomorrow.

What runway was giving you the problem? I'm assigned 19R.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've completed this flight without problem. 737-800 with cruise at FL260. Started descent before OCF and reached 11,000ft 40 miles out then was switched to Approach.

Ordered to fly heading 275 for an approach to 18R. I have the default scenery with old runway desigs.

Soon after ordered to fly heading 215 and descend to 2,000ft for an intercept heading to 18R. Thereafter intercepted localiser and continued on the glideslope for a landing.

I never flew over DADES as it was within 40 miles of KTPA so Approach take over and give you headings to fly.

Can't imagine it will be any different for a 36 approach. Set your winds for a 18R landing and see how you get on.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think its been 18R, and I think it's just  a glitch that happens now and again. Maybe it has something to do with the ATC talking to AI when it should be talking to you. Sometimes this or talking to the ATC about something else will occasionally confuse it into thinking you missed a waypoint.  The next time it happens I'll have to pay attention to this.

RC is consistent if the same actions are performed at the same point in the flight. It's possible you have failed or delayed acknowledging an instruction which will throw things out of kilter.

Try giving Otto the comms so you can concentrate on flying. See if that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It doesn't happen often, maybe once in a hundred flights. So it's not something that overly concerns me. That by the way is why I'm of the opinion that it might be a tiny glitch.