Sign in to follow this  
TooWings

A bad place to crash land new bbc

Car auction park close to the runway. Very clever.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

My thoughts exactly. 

Provisionally, looks like a long-landing incident according to the witness. Could be a technical fault or any of a number of causes, unrelated to the names of the SOB, or the vicinity of the car park 

We really shouldn't speculate in these forums. 

Here is the actual location

blackbushe4-300x223.jpg

Doesn't seem like an inappropriate place to put a car park. Looks like every other airport. And one benefit to a car park at the end of the runway is that means there are no tall obstructions and likely fewer people at any one time. A safety benefit, not a causal risk.

Doesn't seem like an inappropriate place to put a car park. Looks like every other airport. And one benefit to a car park at the end of the runway is that means there are no tall obstructions and likely fewer people at any one time. A safety benefit, not a causal risk.

This from the Civil Aviation Authority UK...

'What is a Public Safety Zone?''

Public Safety Zones are areas of land at the end of runways established at the busiest airports in the UK, within which certain planning restrictions apply.  These aim to control the number of people on the ground at risk in the unlikely event of an aircraft accident on take-off or landing'.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=375&pagetype=90&pageid=11175

Granted the airport in question isnt  'busy' compared to London Gatwick., but you'd think common sense would apply the same principles of safety and not have a used car auction -with people milling around looking at cars to buy - right at the end of a runway. Plus  there's a severe fire risk with all those cars packed closely together as we've seen in this particular crash, which almost certainly ruled out anyone surviving the initial crash.

We really shouldn't speculate in these forums.

Why ever not? This is a 'chat' forum after all;  and speculation is a natural part of aviation-related conversations of this nature.  Anyway so far I haven't seen any notices not to 'speculate'. :P

keep-calm-and-do-not-speculate-1.png

And his brother and father were also killed in separate plane accidents...incredibly bad odds

ZORAN

Or, perhaps the odds increased dramatically after 9/11.

I was thinking along those lines too.  Karmic connections perhaps. 

----

"Aviation enthusiast Geoff Pierce took this photograph of the aircraft moments before it crashed"...

_84615027_5a5d083d-487c-4424-9cc0-f3e0e3

It's always really sad to hear about plane crashes. RIP!

Better than a gas station :rolleyes: I think there may be some airports that may not have plenty of opportunities to put such things into discussion due to infrastructural limitations. I am not a airport planner, so I might be wrong.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

'What is a Public Safety Zone?''

Public Safety Zones are areas of land at the end of runways established at the busiest airports in the UK, within which certain planning restrictions apply. These aim to control the number of PEOPLE on the ground at risk in the unlikely event of an aircraft accident on take-off or landing'.

My emphasis.

'These aim to control the number of PEOPLE on the ground at risk in the unlikely event of an aircraft accident on take-off or landing'.

My emphasis.

The number of people 'on the ground' in this case obviously increased by having a car auction site  placed right at the end of the runway -with both staff and customers milling around in the line of fire.  'Common sense where art thou?'  ;-)

bl-41.jpg

'Common sense where art thou?' ;-)

the acccident happened and no people on the ground were injured. The extended flight path also intersects the A30 road. Should those and other roads be closed? What other road like A3044 at  Heathrow  and the adjacent Perimeter Road.

Commonsese doesn't depend on knee-jerk reactions.