Sign in to follow this  
Max Kraus

Radar Contact 4, better than Vatsim!

Recently bought this program and can honestly say that, it's better than flying on-line with Vatsim.The A.I and Pre recorded chatter adds total immersion to this great program.Added that it will be updated to run with FSX and I believe it is money well spent.Now I can't/ dont want to fly without it any more.Credit where credit is due. More 'as real as it get's'.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest TVM

Well, I partly agree with you. I've had RC4 for a couple of months now, and while it's a huge improvement over default ATC, I still don't think it provides the same feeling as talking to a real controller does.For me, the problem with IVAO is the lack of controllers in the regions where I like to fly, so I rarely fly online.Hoping for an improved version of RC when FSX hits the shelves.

Yep, a fantastic program! my only problem is I don't have enough time to fly at the moment, so I'm unable to use it LOLThere's still plenty of things that can be done to improve on it, so I'm really looking forward to any undates FSX can bring to version 4 and going forward into version 5 :D

Alaister Kay

nothing beats the dynamic nature of VATSIM - real controllers not preprogrammed scripts...

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

>> nothing beats the dynamic nature of VATSIM - real controllers not preprogrammed scripts...No argument when a controller is on duty, but when you consider that the vast majority of the world is not controlled on a regular basis, preprogrammed scripts beats dead silence every time.Bruce

Guest monsoon

It isnt as good. NO ifs and or buts. You can NOT say it is remotely as real at vatsim.

While online flying is undoubtely more real when it comes to talking to human controllers, many aspects of online fliying are not: lack of controllers, lack of traffic, lack of real weather - just to name a few.Pat

I would like to suggest that there is room for both types of ATC simulation. Depending on the user's schedule and the availability of on-line controllers that certainly could work out. When controllers and traffic are not up to the requested density then RC could fit the bill along with a good AI traffic generator and weather application RC might be the best fit.For initial training a newbie might be intimidated by a real world controller. RC is still quite demanding but the user is dealing with a "private" ATC simulation. It certainly can make a good training aid and then use it or on-line controllers for a best fit to the usedr schedule.Different strokes for different folks as one movie character used to say.

I totally agree with Ron!Sometimes I just feel like flying with Radar Conctact 4 and having lot's of AI traffic around me. I can just sit there on the tarmac watching all the buzy traffic rolling by and feel like I'm actually a part of a big flow. While the voices with Radar Contact 4 are still quite robotic, you get used to it after a while.Then again sometimes I want the rush you get when you talk to a real human being acting as ATC. You KNOW that there is somebody watching all your moves, and they are responding to what you are actually saying in the headset, not when you press the keys "1" or "7" like you do in Radar Contact. You cannot just leave the flightsimulator unattended or paused like you could with Radar Conctact, because a real ATC person is expecting you to respond.I do chose my departure and arrival airports based on where I find ATC coverage but in Europe you very seldom have problem finding airports with at least tower and approach online and the centers (or radar as we say in Europe) manned in between.And then I may go back to Radar Contact when I want to fly to/from a more unusual airport that would lack ATC coverage in VATSIM. Or when I simply don't want to go through all the fuzz off setting up VATSIM. Or when I actually do want to be abole to leave the flightsimulator for a while when inflight.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

You>cannot just leave the flightsimulator unattended or paused>like you could with Radar Conctact, because a real ATC person>is expecting you to respond.My point entirely. I can just pause my sim while I visit the toilet or get a 'cuppa', answer the telephone.Therefore, R.C. is much, much better and much more sociable for the majority of users.What a shame that M.S. didn't attempt to improve the FSX ATC. Thanks to 'Radar Contact' we will have a great program to use with it.I wonder if 'A.T+T' voices would help?

Dave Taylor gb.png

>I can just pause my sim while I visit the>toilet or get a 'cuppa', answer the telephone.>Therefore, R.C. is much, much better and much more sociable>for the majority of users.>Well, I wouldn't say plain "better" but in some situations it suits my needs better! :) As for the toilet or 'cuppa' (whiskey in my case when I fly online :) ) all you have to do is say that you are off the air for a few minutes. Granted, when on final it doesn't work that well to be "off the air" but usually there are some stints where nothing happens for quite a while. Unfortunately flying online and "honey, can you come and..." is totally uncompatible and usually the latter has to win..

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

>>>>>You cannot just leave the flightsimulator unattended or paused like you could with Radar Conctact, because a real ATC person is expecting you to respond.<<<<

Guest monsoon

>>Sometimes I just feel like flying with Radar Conctact 4 and>having lot's of AI traffic around me. I can just sit there on>the tarmac watching all the buzy traffic rolling by and feel>like I'm actually a part of a big flow. While the voices with>Radar Contact 4 are still quite robotic, you get used to it>after a while.>>>>And thatis just it. Sitting there watching the planes KNOWING they arent real is about as fun as watching paint dry. Isnt any fun in that. Seems like everything is replacing the human element. Sorry but as a real world pilot vatsim is the only way to go.

Guest av84fun

You are CERTAINLY entitled to your opinion with with a statement like<> it seems that you intend to state a FACT and not an opinion.I am a registered VATSIM user and it clearly has its advantages but the classic disadvantages are also quite obvious and quite real...primarily A) HIGHLY limited geography where current services are available and often very sparse traffic...all depending on location and time of day.RC is a viable solution to both those problems so there is no "sorry" X is better than Y.If you want "close to real" ATC interaction anywhere in the world you want to fly at any time of day or night, then VATSIM is not a solution AT ALL.If you don't care where you fly and don't mind sometimes sparse radio traffic but require live human being...and generally quite realistic... ATC interaction, then RC is not a solution AT ALL.But there are vastly varying user needs and desires in between which is why there is a market for both products.I am a RW pilot too and am not "defending" RC because I don't use it due to the much debated "computer voice issue." Others seem to "get used to it" but I don't WANT to get used to it. But when the voices are improved to suit my own personal tastes, I would be an RC user in a hearbeat.Regards,Jim