Sign in to follow this  
Guest B1900 Mech

Active Camera will be Sorely Missed in FSX

Ive heard that the authors will not be updating it for use in fsx...but i dont know the reason why.Im really going to miss it alot as it (along with fs recorder) was my favorite non-aircraft addon. Theres still a need for it as the built in camera system just doesnt compare as well...the 2 features i used the most were the ground turb for "feeling" when youve touched down and the rollout, and also the ability to quickly manipulate the tower view for watching approaches...oh and how you could set custom vc views for each individual aircraft. I dont see how you can do any of this in fsx out of the box (if you can then its not in the brochure-like manual) and i truly wish the authors would reconsider updating it...its one addon i wouldnt regret paying for...i miss it very much :-(Dave

Where did you hear it?What I would miss most, is the ability to click on the ground to create a new tower view to really get a good look at approaches. I think you are mentioning that too.Don't see any way to do that in FSX, but the DOCs are very slim.* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

Yeah, I read that there would not be an Active Camera for FSX. I too will be frustrated without it. My favorite feature is being able to setup camera positions in the VC, and then just hit CTRL-# to jump to that position. These can also be saved and loaded.I really think the developers should reconsider their decision.James

I won't miss it. The only reason I used it was for the VC panning ability. But for some reason on my system the AC would sometimes think that my middle mouse button was stuck down and I was still trying to pan when I actually wasn't. Then I'd have to turn off VC panning, rendering the program entirely useless to me. And considering the years I've had the program and that it was never fixed, I'll gladly take FSX's new camera system over ACs.

The fly-by in FSX is a lot smoother (or maybe FSX itself is a lot smoother). It looks nicer anyway.You can create camera position witch can be called up by right clicking I think...Its all in the SDK which I have not read entirely yet, stuck on the terrain one rite nowallen

Guest davidvoogd

Though Active Camera was a great tool for FS2004, I won't miss it in FSX as I prefer the built in system in FSX. It is a lot easier to use and works much more smoothly.

the built in system is better/easier??, how so?can the built in system show you seat of your pants vibrations on rollout?, nopecan it let you see the impact of your wheels touching down on landings?, nopecan it let you easily save custom defined vc cabin views for each individual aircraft while still in the sim?, nopecan it let you instantaneously change the location and height of tower view on the fly for watching landing replays?, nopei think either i am at a total loss for missing these built in features of fsx OR some folks never used active camera the way it was intended.I want my AC :-)...pretty please??Dave

>the built in system is better/easier??, how so?>>can the built in system show you seat of your pants vibrations>on rollout?, nopeWrong... Head latency is working just fine!>can it let you see the impact of your wheels touching down on>landings?, nopeWrong... Head latency is working just fine!>can it let you easily save custom defined vc cabin views for>each individual aircraft while still in the sim?, nopeThe rest of the things you mentioned can be configured...Tell ya what pal. Read the documentation and find out just what CAN be done with the new camera system before passing judgment. Hint: you can find pages of information in the Learning Center... ;)The reason AC won't be updated is because it CAN'T be updated. The previous "camera system" he had hooked into doesn't exist anymore!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,How do you move about in FSX? Say.. I want to recede a few feet from the front panel. Just from the VC panel.. not outside view. How would I do that. ( + and -) doesn't cut it.. + and - does for everything. The front panel and the outside view.How would I move a little to the right within VC?How would I simply walk about in FSX?I too miss the Taxi and Take off roll VC.. AC had it right on. Like the movement when the front wheel strut moves down a little more than normal because of a dip or something. with AC, I had a strut on my front wheel of my Cessna and other aircrafts.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

> >can it let you see the impact of your wheels touching down on> >landings?, nope> Wrong... Head latency is working just fine!Huh??

Guest Len

Can I do a walk about outside in FSX? Can I move around in the cockpit in FSX?

>>Wrong... Head latency is working just fine!>Read it again...i wasnt referring to head latency at all (which by the way cannot be adjusted from within the sim, on the fly)...i was referring to the ground turbulence feature of AC...which is not simulated in fsx...if it is i cant even notice it, not even a tiny bit. There is no vibrations or rattling effect i have been able to detect.>>>can it let you easily save custom defined vc cabin views for>>each individual aircraft while still in the sim?, nope>>The rest of the things you mentioned can be configured...>read it again...because ive found no explanation from the learning center which would explain how to save a customized vc view (wherever you want to place the camera and then assign a custom key to it) on the fly when in the sim. Im not talking about simply moving about. If this is even possible at all then it must be documented in the SDK and its not something you can do from within the sim itself. Being able to do some of these things from within the vc while flying does not seem to be supported as you suggest. >Tell ya what pal. Read the documentation and find out just>what CAN be done with the new camera system before passing>judgment. Hint: you can find pages of information in the>Learning Center... ;)>on a personal note, I dont really know why you think its acceptable to speak to me in such a "tone of voice", but i can assure you it is not. I HAVE read the docs, have YOU?...or have you simply misinterpreted the features from AC i was actually referring to thereby confusing the issues?From all ive read (not the SDK) there is NO ground turbulence effects which cause cockpit vibrations, therefore it is not adjustable...and as far as saving a customized cabin view, it would probably be documented in the sdk, and files would most likely have to be hand edited with lots of trial and error to get proper coordinates im guessing...not do-able with a "save" feature from within the sim itself while flying.If all my statements are incorrect, then please point out a page number or the like as a referral for me as I would love to have all these features back in the new sim!...maybe THEN I'll let you call me "pal", umm...nah itll never happen :-)DavePS - someone above asked how to move around in the vc...just assign a key to move eyepoint in each direction you like. I've assigned my arrow keys for this...up arrow moves eyepoint forward, down arrow moves eyepoint back, etc...its all done in the settings/controls/keys menu...hope that helped.

Guest christianholmes

I agree... the view feature is not only gimped, but BROKEN!!!!Why can't I use my middle mouse button just like active camera? Don't get me wrong, I can assign it- but it doesn't work. Also, I can't seem to assign the zoom function to wheel up/down? Everything is just.... broken....It's too bad, and I hope they fix is, as I think this version is just AWESOME.Personally, I've been hoping they did a built in mouse look this time- it seemed like something that should have been included to begin with- I just wish they put a little more effort into it.

>I agree... the view feature is not only gimped, but>BROKEN!!!!>>>Why can't I use my middle mouse button just like active>camera? Don't get me wrong, I can assign it- but it doesn't>work. Also, I can't seem to assign the zoom function to wheel>up/down? Everything is just.... broken....>>It's too bad, and I hope they fix is, as I think this version>is just AWESOME.>>Personally, I've been hoping they did a built in mouse look>this time- it seemed like something that should have been>included to begin with- I just wish they put a little more>effort into it.hi christian...yes i know there are others like us who will miss it dearly...in regards to the mouselook feature...there IS one built in...i believe you have to press "shift-O" (the letter oh, not zero) and then you can use your mouse to pan and zoom with the wheel...if this is what you meant.Better watch out though and be careful about posting something you dont think exists or the "docs police" might crap down yer neck, heheh.Dave