Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Airbus A321 fuel tanks...

Flying the A321 today I was about to level off at FL 290when I lost both engines. I took a quick look at the fueldisplay and it showed plenty of fuel in 4 tanks but thecenter tank was empty.There doesn't seem to be a way to connect the other4 tanks so only the center tank fuel is used.Has anyone else noticed this or have a solution sothat all 5 tanks are used.In FS9 fuel was burned from the outer tanks to the inner tanks. That's not happening on the A321 in FSX.I haven't checked the 737-800 or 747-400 fuel use. I'vebeen mostly flying the L-049A Connie where I have controlover the tank cross-feeds.Looking at the A321 CAB now and don't see anything that would allow tank selection. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as I remember in FS-9 and comercial jets fuel is burned from center out. I noticed this since in military jets fuel is burned out to in. Keeping fuel in the wings addsstability something not really wanted in a fighter. Losing the droptanks and fuel in the wings improves roll rate and manouverability.

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

>>Flying the A321 today I was about to level off at FL 290>when I lost both engines. I took a quick look at the fuel>display and it showed plenty of fuel in 4 tanks but the>center tank was empty.>>There doesn't seem to be a way to connect the other>4 tanks so only the center tank fuel is used.>>Has anyone else noticed this or have a solution so>that all 5 tanks are used.>>In FS9 fuel was burned from the outer tanks to the >inner tanks. That's not happening on the A321 in FSX.>>I haven't checked the 737-800 or 747-400 fuel use. I've>been mostly flying the L-049A Connie where I have control>over the tank cross-feeds.>>Looking at the A321 CAB now and don't see anything that >would allow tank selection.>> PaulI don't have this problem with the default Airbus in FSX, From memory the engines consume pretty evenly, the 2 small outer tanks run dry first (cause they are smallest) then the centre usually runs out next, but the rate from each tanks seems to be about equal for me.

>>-SNIP->>I don't have this problem with the default Airbus in FSX, From>memory the engines consume pretty evenly, the 2 small outer>tanks run dry first (cause they are smallest) then the centre>usually runs out next, but the rate from each tanks seems to>be about equal for me. Hummm...that's how it should work. What is your default aircraft set to? Could be the tank select setting ( probably should be a value of "1" for "All" ) is being set incorrectly in my setup. I think I had the B747-400 as default. I've been experiencing problems selecting FS9 aircraft then going to "Fly" directly so I've gotten in the habit of hitting "Fly" from my default screen and then selecting the aircraft that I want to use for that flight once I'm on the tarmac. I think I'll just create an XML tank select gauge and install it on any aircraft that I seem to have a problem with. Thanks for the input. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

By default, your A321 should be drawing off all tanks simultaneously.Perhaps you have some crossfeed switch set different from default.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>By default, your A321 should be drawing off all tanks>simultaneously.>Perhaps you have some crossfeed switch set different from>default.>>Rhett> Hi Rhett, I believe what happened was that I started the flights in another aircraft and the tank selector must have been set to "center". When I switched to the A321 on the ramp, the tank selector would have stayed on "center" since there is no way of changing it in the A321 panel. I've since remedied that by installing a tank selector for each engine with 6 positions, L/R Aux, L/R main, Center and ALL. I did note that selecting the A321 and then starting flight, the tank selector was indeed set to "All". On a similar note, the crossfeed switch in the overhead doesn't seem to actually do anything other than change the ECAM2 display. Also, the fuel quantities shown for the 2 AUX and 2 Main tanks are lumped together ( L Aux and Main, R Aux and Main ). When I've selected either the Aux or Main on either side, both quantities decrease as fuel is burned. I did a quick look into the code and they seemed to have combined the fuel in both tanks and then displayed serperate percentages of the total. I'll probably go in and change that when I have time. Another little discrepancy I noted was that even if you shut off one engine, it's "Fuel Used" total continues to accumulate. Seems ACES cut some corners in coding that panel :( The crossfeed problem is a bit more complex I believe, if it's anything like the FS9 implementation. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

>> I believe what happened was that I started the flights in> another aircraft and the tank selector must have been set > to "center".>> When I switched to the A321 on the ramp, the tank selector > would have stayed on "center" since there is no way of>changing > it in the A321 panel.>Yes Paul, and that is why I was confused when you said the A321 was drawing down individual tanks for you. I wondered how it was doing that for you.I think it would be great for realism to have the x-feed switches and so forth actually work.I am going to have to install a tank selector, as you did. Maybe the 747 has a tank selector, and I can use that one.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB