Sign in to follow this  
Guest rightnumberone

New Mission Released - Palm 90

Guest rightnumberone

Guys,I'm really just flabbergasted by your praise. Thanks so much, it means a lot. I did put a lot into this mission and I'm so pleased that it's being well received.I did mean it as a tribute to the bravery of all the people who assisted in the rescue of the victims of this disasterous flight, and I'm glad that it shows in the end result.Again, thanks very much for your kind, kind praise. Can't say how much it means to me.CheersRightnumberone

Please note that this is the same author of the Boston Skyscraper mission available here (I believe) and at fsxmissions.com. It is impressive also and well worth the download.Jim

As is the Grand Teton Fire Brigades mission.(which I just finished ;) )After clenching the collective and cyclic in fear over these last two missions, I think I need a rest. Avoiding bridges and a tail fin is one thing, try landing an overloaded Jetranger on a 20' pad at 11,200ft w/20+knot winds. And not just once, I might add ..Don't want to let the cat outa the bag if you haven't tried it, challenging to say the least.Thank again for your efforts Kevin,Garett

Very well presented..A couple things I noticed...the volume of the plane really overpowers the recorded ATC-crew voices....it's hard to hear what the pilots are sayingI spose the plane moves through other planes due to the limitations of FSX...I'm supposed to rescue people but I hover over them and nothing happens....did I miss something?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest rightnumberone

Ryan,To answer your questions, yes there problems that I had in developing this mission where sometimes, (maybe 5% of the loads) a piece of autogenerated AI would pop up where you least expect it (like, right in the middle of my scene).I never did figure out an easy way to prevent that. If it bothers you as much as it bothered me, reloading the mission usually results in a "clean" view (thankfully, it only happened at the airport in the initial "gate" scene).As for the volume problem: this is controlled by the user. There is a user-defined setting for the sound volume of voices relative to engines that you can change to improve your simulations. Look at Settings / Other Settings / Sound before you launch the mission and you can reduce the engine noise a bit.One final note: In the mission briefing, I talk a little bit about why when you sometimes hover over people, they are uncooperative and refuse to be rescued. In fact, that was a design decision intended to make the mission more realistic. Take a look at the Mission Briefing / Details tab for more information on that topic.Cheers,Kevin Greene

Guest rightnumberone

Garett,By the way, I just wanted to publicly thank you for your donation on the Grand Teton Fire Brigades mission.That mission-designing experience is what laid the groundwork for the Palm 90 mission, and I really started to get excited about what was possible with FSX once I finished that mission.Some of the missions I release will be free (like Palm 90 and Boston Skyscraper Fire), and as I've said on my site, some of them I'll ask for a trivial donation.I'm glad you thought the small donation was worth the price of admission! Thanks very much, again, for your support, and your kind comments.(Makes me want to continue doing more missions!)Kevin

Hi Kevin, thanks yeah I found that huge readme file, but I've moved over all the people, no one gets in...is there any actual animation that takes place if they do get in the helo?Thanks

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>Manny,>>Can't help with your "memory CTD" issue, but I think I know>why it crashed you when the simulation reloaded, and it's my>fault: You probably did not idle the throttle at the beginning>of the mission.........This looks like an awesome new mission, according to the above threads but. Before I install any items on to my machine, I always like to read through the accompanying "Read Me" file.Unfortunately, because of my limited computer experience, I am unable to understand the instructions in the XML Document accompanying the 'Palm90_Installation' file, even though I opened it in 'Word Pad' or 'Note Pad' it all appeared like "Japansneeze" to me.Is there anyway around this limitation of mine please 'cos I would love to share the enjoyment that others are getting from your creation.

Guest rightnumberone

Ryan,If you've moved over all the people, and nobody got in, then the most likely reason is that you aren't hovering over them - you're flying past them too quickly for the game to register that you're over them.If you fly past them too quickly, then your paramedic won't have time to throw them a rope and haul them in.You will know that you have recused each victim because as soon as you do, your paramedic will alert you verbally and give you some directions.There is an area of about 5 feet by 5 feet by 10 feet high surrounding each person. If you hover in that area, and the person is ready to be rescued, they will be. If you can see your rotor wash in the water, you're low enough. If you can't see your rotor wash, you're probably too high. (You should be looking essentially at your rudder pedals to know when you're over the victim.)I will give you a hint ... work the victims on the perimeter first, and try to pick up the victims closer to the downed plane later. Working your way from the least-dangerous area to the most-dangerous area is always the best option when flying a rescue mission of this type.This is purposely difficult, and if I tell you anymore, I'll give away too much probably. Once you've mastered the art of hovering, however (and this is what the simulation is trying to teach you), you'll have no trouble figuring out the order you need to pick up the victims in.(And yes, there is an order ... wait, NO MORE HINTS!!!!)

Guest rightnumberone

Dave,You can view any XML file if you open it using Internet Explorer. Just right-click it and select Open With ... and choose Internet Explorer (7)In case that doesn't work for you, here are the installation instructions in plain text:Installation Instructions_______________________________________________________________________Included with this instruction file is another zipped executable called:Palm_90_Installation.exeThis is merely a self-extracting WinZip archive.If you double click it, it will automatically place all files in their proper location. The WinZip auto-extractor will suggest that you unzip the files into the following location:C:If you installed Microsoft Flight Simulator X in its default location, this is enough information for the WinZip program to place the files in their proper location.The location into which the files will be placed by default is:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XThe following files are placed:

>Guys,>>I'm really just flabbergasted by your praise. Thanks so much,>it means a lot. I did put a lot into this mission and I'm so>pleased that it's being well received.>>I did mean it as a tribute to the bravery of all the people>who assisted in the rescue of the victims of this disasterous>flight, and I'm glad that it shows in the end result.>>Again, thanks very much for your kind, kind praise. Can't say>how much it means to me.>>Cheers>RightnumberoneRightnumberone, sorry to be a pain and posting this in the wrong place beforehand but hopefully I am in the right slot this time:-This looks like an awesome new mission, according to the above threads but. Before I install any items on to my machine, I always like to read through the accompanying "Read Me" file.Unfortunately, because of my limited computer experience, I am unable to understand the instructions in the XML Document accompanying the 'Palm90_Installation' file, even though I opened it in 'Word Pad' or 'Note Pad' it all appeared like "Japansneeze" to me.Is there anyway around this limitation of mine please 'cos I would love to share the enjoyment that others are getting from your creation.:-zhelp

:-eek Kevin, you're an absolute diamond!!!Okay I'm going to logout now and install this mission and see how it goes on my limited system; can't fly my FSX for more than one and half hours max, then it shuts down for re-cooling the CPU or GPU me thinks.But thanks anyway for your very swift help and guidance.:-rotor

hmmm, I'm pretty good at helos, I can hover over them....unless I the mission requires to hover for like 10 seconds...I guess I haven't hovered that long I will try though..I hope my comments weren't negative, this is a real quality mission, thanks for taking the time

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

With the positive comments on this thread, I eagerly downloaded and installed the files per the included instructions. Unfortunately, FSX stops running once I select this mission. Right after I press the go-to-brief button, it shows the brief and then crashes. I've tried it several times, even after rebooting. All the other missions run fine. Appreciate any help.Regards,Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

David, did you use the self extractor or install the files manually? I unzipped to a temp directory & then put the .rwd file into the FSX/Reward directory then moved the whole folder Palm 90 to the FSX/Missions/Emergency directory and all went well. Hope you can figure it out.Jim