Sign in to follow this  
Mace

FS9 Mesh in FSX?

I have used FSGlobal in FS9 for a few years now and am quite happy with the 76M coverage it gives for the world. I realise that FSX has higher detail mesh in many areas, but some of it is also much lower (PNG and South America to name two areas).There is a new version of FSGlobal for FSX out now, but the price is quite steep at 60 Euros (and even the upgrade is a nasty 40 Euros). I'd be happy just to move over what I already have for those prices.So, does anyone know whether FS9 mesh works in FSX? If not, is there a conversion tool available to put the FS9 mesh in FSX format?Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Hi Gary,I use FSGlobal mesh in FSX, and I quite happy with it.I just observed some remote runways in troughs or above plateaus, but I think it is often due to runway mislocation.For the rest, the mesh quality seems to be just the same as in FS9. I do not understand why the provider says it is not compatible with FSX...For the installation, I just pointed to the FSGlobal folders in the scenery list of FSX, continent by continent (except Europe and N. America which are better by default), without changing their installation.Hope this helps !Alain

You don't need to convert. FS2004 mesh will work fine in FSX.There IS a difference however; mesh resampled for FSX reportedly has performance enhancements that older mesh does not have, according to a couple of FS people who are very knowledgeable about terrain mesh, one of them being from Microsoft and actually developed it.I have installed some older 76m mesh for Mexico and Central America into my FSX install, and it's just as it was in FS2004. I haven't noticed a perf hit but then again I have not done any quantitative testing.They all use the same data, it's only RESAMPLE.EXE tool to make mesh that has changed between FS2004 and FSX. RE: troughs and plateaus: You can get the plateaus and troughs at airports no matter which FS you are using. That's not a fault of the mesh but rather the elevation of the airport itself. A good example is La Aurora in Guatemala (MGGT) which will sit on a butte with good mesh.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I think the main diff is FSX resample has the ability to create mesh with multiple resolutions in the same bgl file. this should help with the transitions between near (hi res) mesh and far (lower res) mesh when creating a scene in the sim.scott s..

Guest christian

The performance enhancements are the introduction of lossy compression. Makes the files smaller, but less accurate. If you have a good FS9 mesh, there is no point in upgrading, it'll work just fine in FSX.Christian

Thanks for the response guys. I did try pointing my FSX to FSGlobal data back when I was running the beta 3 version of FSX. The one airport I checked, Quito South America in one of the missions, and the autogen was mostly up in the air around the airport, so I thought it was incompatible. I'll give it a try again with the release version of FSX.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest allcott

You are aware there is no need to actually install the new mesh into FSX? You can just use the scenery menu to point it to the FS9 version, wherever it is, providing it's in a standalone folder. Saves a second installation and the attendant hard drive space.I've done that with VFR Terrain for the UK, with no trouble.Allcott

Yes Allcott, I have my FSGlobal data in its own directory off the root C drive, so will I just point FSX's scenery nose there. Thanks for the suggestion though.Gary

>The performance enhancements are the introduction of lossy>compression. Makes the files smaller, but less accurate. If>you have a good FS9 mesh, there is no point in upgrading,>it'll work just fine in FSX.>>Christian>Does this mean mesh data run through FSX's resample give LESS ACCURATE mesh than mesh data run through FS9's resample?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

PNG (near AYNZ) is looking great now with FSGlobal 2005 mesh.Before:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166329.jpgAfter:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166330.jpgThanks guys! :-hahGary

>Thanks for the response guys. I did try pointing my FSX to>FSGlobal data back when I was running the beta 3 version of>FSX. The one airport I checked, Quito South America in one of>the missions, and the autogen was mostly up in the air around>the airport, so I thought it was incompatible. I have seen the floating autogen error in FS2004 and FSX, so it's not specific to FSX at least as far as I'm concerned.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett