Sign in to follow this  

Best Aircraft Add-on for FSX?

Guest ziporama

I fly the Leonardo MD-82 "Maddog2006" and I have about two weeks under my belt with it. See my review in the reader's forum.All in all, I think it's for the next few weeks the "only" airliner you can get for FSX with this level of detail.I enjoy it because it's much harder to fly than more modern aircraft by Boeing or Airbus. Pros:- complex systems modeling, both in depth- even with PMDG and LevelD experience, good luck starting the engine without reading the manual (that's always a good sign).- Extensive documentation in PDF files, including checklists- comprehensive 2D panel with nearly all real systems modeled- includes a remote control panel (can run on the network) to simulate failures- comes designed for multi-crew over two PCs with a network - very nicely done- very nicely done setup manager to manage liveries, fuel load, panel configuration, hotkeys. Ability to select both a saved flight and a panel configuration file, and start FSX with that configuration, ability to print load sheets. That is a very nice integration, but requires some work in the sim first to setup saved flights and saved panel configurations to work with.- Full featured FMS (note, does NOT behave like Boeing or Airbus), for example, don't expect VNAV to work if you have a route discontinuity.- FPS friendly (if you have enough memory) - volume control on each sound- configurable hotkeys for keyboard equivalents- Supported by FSBuild for flight plans- Full function weather/terrain radar- Popup glass panels (need to map a hotkey)- I opened the door by mistake at FL11 and was impressed by the number of alarms and nose dive that followed, and the cabin pressure model.- This plane doesn't like to slow down. It's a fast bird on approach and landing, and after touchdown has a hard time slowing. There are no autobrakes on this bird, and I learn to appreciate why Boeing/Airbus put that in on more recent A/C- Nice handling manual (if setup is correct).- Good forum supportCould be improved category:- Pricing (Dollar exchange rate not favorable at near $65 US)- Purchase via Paypal took a long time (12 hours) - I'm used to Flight1 or SimMarket or PMDG when you get your key within 2 minutes of the transaction processed). Support was helpful. I suspect the time difference explained the delay - Leonardo's in Italy. - Emphasis on European liveries and provided SID/STARs- Can't read PMDG SID/STARs directly, needs some editing- Had to manually edit the aircraft.cfg to get FSX jetways to work with this aircraft- Model doesn't use reflective paints or the new FSX texturing options like bump maps (yet)- No flex wing (miss that after the leveld/PMDG 744 models...)- No wing views (yet) - you could setup your own camera views in FSX though.- No virtual cockpit (yet - to be delivered later this year)- SID/STARs minimal. Need to do simple edits on the PMDG files from Navdata to get them to work. A utility is provided but doesn't fix this simple line break problem.- Very few US based airliners paints.Oddball category:- Can save panel state but only saves one file name. Process is to save, alt-tab, rename the file so it can be used in other situations. I suggested on the support forum that a load option be in the menu, and Davide indicates they're looking into that.- Odd issues with boarding/unboarding and manually opening doors. I ended up having to restart one flight because the stairs somehow came out and I had no idea how to to retract them. I think it just got confused with the hotkeys the way I configured them.- Tutorial is excellent and sparse in explanations- I'm still learning to use Autoland. If I use the ILS mode, everything works great. If I use Autoland, everything works great until touchdown and then the plane doesn't want to follow the centerline on landing. It always wants to go 5 degrees off to the left exactly (I measured). I'm still pondering if this is my error in avionics setup, a scenery problem, a mag deviation problem with the nav data, or a bug. Not a big deal because ILS works just fine and Autoland really doesn't do a whole lot for me.- Paintkit is nicely done using a set of PSD files but has no instructions to speak of. Need to figure out the color keys and the markers. Again, no support for bumpmaps or any other eye candy to be found in products like the RealAir SF260. Cons:- Very addictive.- You will need to read the manual - at least, the key parts.- Delay in purchase was a bit frustrating.- The visual model is very much FS9 and doesn't yet include the FSX ooh-ahs.Must know items:- FSUIPC axis control (ie, purchased version) needed to really enjoy the axis calibration features supported by this plane, as well as the keyboard hotkeys - FSUIPC lets you map DirectX buttons to hotkeys and that's very nice from a controls setup perpective.- FSBuild 2.2 latest patch is needed to support the file format for this plane, which is slightly different from the default Lago format in terms of its path.- A profile is available for FSBuild for proper flight plan setup- Remember to save panel states and rename them to make them usable in the load manager.- Try not to mix/match FS controls with the MD-80's hotkeys - creates havoc.Etienne

The RealAir Citabria, Decathlon, and Scout package for FSX should be out in two weeks as well.

"I am looking for something that is challenging with authentic panels."Majestic Dash 8-300 (by Oleksiy Frolov)http://www.majesticsoftware.com/c/portal_p...itle=DashQthreeRead up on it - and the sounds are absolutly incredible. (My Z-5500's make the darn desk shake on T/O !!)Expensive at 49 Euros, but a top notch aircraft in all aspects. I bought the Pilot Edition, and it's patched for FSX.Very frame rate friendly on my rig, as it was in FS9.Regards'Garett

Hey GarettI passed on the Dash-8 the first time around because I was top heavy with expensive addons for FS9 at the time and couldn't justify the $70 Canadian. Long story short, I now have a renewed interest in the Majestic for FSX.Can you comment on two things ?Guage smothness and refresh rate in the VC.And VC texturing. cheersGreghttp://www.fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

>>>Very frame rate friendly on my rig, as it was in FS9.>>Regards'>>GarettNoway in 99 euros year we have a name for that gr.... man hehehe freeware comes an end :-lolAndr

André

Hi Greg,The only "quality" I have with the bird is that the 2D/VC panel textures and text are not the clearest, and that's what your asking about. The panel texture text is a bugger to read most of the time, and the screenies on the website show that. However, every switch is operable from VC (and is operable/functional) - and thats how I like it. The textures are a trade off to me that "I'm" willing to live with quite easily on a bird that has so many other pluses. I bought it as I had the freeware and was very happy with it, but I like to fly from VC.Gauge refresh in all aspects is smooth and very good (including the weather radar that actually works). This package runs at about 26-27 in FSX for me. Of all my add-ons (including "alot" of ported stuff) this by far makes the least amount of impact on my frames. I get better frames with it than my Carenado 206 or DA Cheyenne in VC to give an example.It's probally the most I've paid for a paywear bird, but I have had absolutly ZERO ISSUES with it from install. That alone in my time savings (and sanity) with the sound package made the purchase price for me - easier to swallow. I gladly would have traded in my CS757 on it(great VC textures), but even I wouldn't give me anything for it ;) It purchases like that, that makes these ones alot cheaper if you know what I mean.Anyways, hope that helps.Garett

"Noway in 99 euros year we have a name for that gr.... man hehehe freeware comes an end"What? No idea what your trying to say .....Garett

Guest thx1137

The VC is a royal pain as in FSX I only ever use the FC with TrackIR but otherwise great machine. It is almost enough to make me want to learn how to do VC texturing but I suspect I would need some source materials from the developer and that isn't going to happen!

HelloI have the majestic Dash-8 and it is very good on fps here.The only issues i have are the lack of instrument backlighting in the VCand the poor NAV data.To be honest i fly the PSS dash more.

>I am thinking of buying a commercial add on for my FSX>installation. Can somebody recommend the best add-on payware>plane they use? I am looking for something that is>challenging with authentic panels. I used to have the PMDG>737 and 747 for FS9, but other than the 1900, I don't think>they make anything for FSX yet. Can somebody recommend>something similar for FSX?>Thanks,>ChadIm pretty happy with the CLS addon aircraft. Actualy I bought all their big iron addons.There are some nice extra liverys for the DC-10 that was posted yesterday here too.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Yep... I agree! It was the very first commercial add on plane for FSX and bought it straight away. Great plane. Nice smooth gauges too!

Matthew S

Can't wait for this one. An absolute FS9 classic about to be reborn in FSX! :-jumpy

Matthew S

Guest ALFS

Best without any uncertainty is the upcoming PMDG 747 for FSX.

Garett,I bought the bird to use in FSX. And yes, the VC does leave me wanting as far as textures go but I knew that going in. I am having some issues with the condition levers not getting full travel with my CH throttle quad and I hope to sort that out. I do love the Dasher ( the largest commercial AC that flies into CYCD near wher I live ) and the sounds and fidelity of this bird are top notch IMHO.thanks manGreghttp://www.fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg