•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

What is the best landclass addon for FSX????

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 duckbilled

duckbilled

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,869 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 2 Months and 1 Day

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

Derek,Right now I have cloud 9's Central/South America and FSG's US. The reason I bought cloud 9's scenery was to see an accurate depiction of Cancun. FSX default is horrible, FS9's Default was horrible, and Cloud 9 is not noticeably better. I believe your US product includes Mexico. How does Cancun look?
Jeff

Save a Life: adopt a retired racing greyhound

Posted Image

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 Dirk98

Dirk98

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,235 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 6 Months and 5 Days Ago.

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

Thanks Umberto. The price is still different though. ;)

#3 virtuali

virtuali

• Commercial Member
  • 730 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 8 Months and 7 Days Ago.

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

>I'm torn apart in making choice between XClass and ScenTech.>XClass is twice less expensive than ScenTech, which is>attractive, but does it also mean it is cheaper? How good>XClass is for European zone? More comments on the both>products please.This is a screen for a sample coverage in Europe for XClass. Projection is in lat/lon, that's why it would appear stretched differently from tmfview. Only cities are displayed, the rest of the landclass is all painted in green, in order to see cities more clearly.http://www.virtualis...rope_cities.jpgAs you can see, there aren't significant differences between products, and yes, XClass have been using enhanced algorythms to handle cities coverage for a while (meaning, not simply compiling available database, but applying extensive processing to it, because existing databases are very lacking in city coverage). Umberto Colapicchioni - VIRTUALI s.a.s.

#4 Dirk98

Dirk98

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:07 AM

Thinking: XClass for USA/Canada and SceneryTech for Europe, good plan?Thanks.

#5 Dirk98

Dirk98

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:55 AM

I'm torn apart in making choice between XClass and ScenTech. XClass is twice less expensive than ScenTech, which is attractive, but does it also mean it is cheaper? How good XClass is for European zone? More comments on the both products please.Thanks.

#6 TonyB

TonyB

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 10 Months and 20 Days Ago.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

UTX places rivers, streams, roads rails and so on through the whole coverage area. The landclass is for the most part for urban areas. You still need another landclass product for farm and wilderness country.Allen, the designer of UTX, even broke it into three separate scenery layers with instructions in the manual on how to get other landclass products to work in conjunction with UTX.Tony

#7 CanadaOne

CanadaOne

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 10 Months and 23 Days Ago.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

"The UTX landclass is only for urban areas. You will still need another lanclass product in addition to UTX. I use FSX.Tony"Hey there,Doesn't UTX cover the whole of the area is says it covers? Why do I need a second land class?Hardware-wise, I'm doing pretty good, so I'm not too worried about FPS. Most of my flights are mountain flights anyway, not too much city and AI traffic most of the time.

#8 Inactive Member_Derek D_***

Inactive Member_Derek D_***
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 7 Months and 28 Days Ago.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

You don't really need to uninstall anything. The scenery priority is determined by the layer numbers of the entries which appear in scenery.cfg, so if you were to give the SceneryTech landclass a higher number than the FSG landclass it would take priority. However this also means the FSG landclass would still show through in areas where the SceneryTech landclass doesn't have coverage (if any).

#9 TonyB

TonyB

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 10 Months and 20 Days Ago.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

I think UTX is a must have. It runs very well for me on my AMD 3200 and Nvidia 6600GT. The UTX landclass is only for urban areas. You will still need another lanclass product in addition to UTX. I use FSX.Tony

#10 CanadaOne

CanadaOne

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 10 Months and 23 Days Ago.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

I have the FSGenesis FSX US land class running over mesh. But I (obviously) want more.Was there a final consensus on UTX USA? Is it a blurry, long loading mess, or a must-have? Are one of the other programs mentioned here better?

#11 Inactive Member_Ozark Dogfighter_***

Inactive Member_Ozark Dogfighter_***
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

I just purchased FSG landclass and mesh after a LONG hiatus from FS (I'm back!!!). I will let you know how it looks when I get it installed, and send you some screenies.-Jeremy Burchhttp://home.earthlin...es/swvasig1.gifSWVA4806 http://www.virtualswa.com/home.phphttp://www.feelthere...er/classic3.jpgThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim....mages/wedge.gifCurrent system:Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 641 (3.40GHz), Abit AW8D, Gigabyte GeForce 7900GTX (512MB DDR3 PCI-Express x16),Corsair XMS2 Pro 2GB PC2 6400 (DDR2 800), 2 SeaGate Barracuda 250GB hard drives, Sound Blaster X-Fi PlatinumKlipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers, NEC 20" CRT, Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2Please note: System specs are for reference in tech forums only and are not to be taken as meaning anything else.Doing so will result in eye-rolling, possible teeth grinding and perhaps mild internal chuckling.Happy Flying!

#12 turnandbank

turnandbank

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 11 Years and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

I have have X-class world and I also tried Scenery Tech for North America. In the area where I live (Southwestern BC) I found X-class quite close while Scenery Tech was so far off I requested a refund. Scenery Tech covered the forested mountains mostly with rock and the farm land around my town with forest and rural housing. The urban areas were also poorly placed. X-class was pretty good for my area and other areas I am familiar with and it is certainly an improvement over default. It is possible of course that Scenery Tech may be superior to X-class in other areas, but I can only judge from the areas I am familiar with. I find that most freeware landclass which is usually hand done by people familiar with an area is better than any of the payware options, so I have lots of those (even from FS2004, as they work fine in FSX) including VOZ landclass for Australia which I set at higher levels in the Scenery Library and then I set X-class underneath them for a base. I do disable the seasonal changes in X-class, by renaming the files as they do cause issues for me.RegardsMartin

Martin

ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

#13 jcboliveira

jcboliveira

• Members
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 2 Months and 29 Days Ago.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:26 AM

MyworldDevelopment seems to be stopped. At least there isn't any news for a long time;LandclassX:I don't have it since there is a season inversion that I didn't liked;Scenerytech:US, don't know the country enough to state anything;Europe. Just released and so far spotted several problems. As far I see the regions were not adjusted so you don't have the Atlantic influence in North Iberia; The seasons raining influence don't seem to be correctly modeled. So it's too dry in winter and Autumn.Jos

#14 Inactive Member_kingairvols_***

Inactive Member_kingairvols_***
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:51 PM

Hello,I wanted to ask in the above mentioned subject. It is somthing I am also not sure about; that is, is I have FSG Mesh and FSG Landclass for FSX. Do I need to somehow (not sure if I sure how too) un-install FSG Landclass prior to installing the Scenery Tech North America Landclass. Of course there is the option that both landclass enhancments are comparable, and the option exsist, to turn each on and off. I am sure there are grammer errors please excuse what I am sure is a "run on sentence". Thank you.Mark.System:OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB running a NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel

#15 FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,793 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 7 Months and 10 Days Ago.

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:23 PM

Excellent. I was impressed by the first release, but, after using UTX, I switched to using only UTX landclass as I felt the cities were much more accurate in the UTX landclass for the area I fly (Northeast US around Boston and north). I'll be psyched to see this update as I'm thinking in other areas of the country STL will be better, e.g. for rural areas.Thomas[a href="http://www.flyingscool.com"] http://www.flyingsco...s/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180
Tom Perry

Posted Image

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!