Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

Garmin G1000 and NDB

Guest NeXTer

I feel I must have missed something obvious, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to plot a course using NDBs with the available controls for the G1000. I know from the manual that you can't just enter the frequency (right?) but rather have to select it using its marker code from the directory, but I can only seem to select the first letter then can't move on to the rest of the letters... I can get to the point where I can enter letters with the keyboard, but then I get two letters for every key press?!Isn't the G1000 supposed to make a pilot's life easier? Give me a traditional HSI+CDI and radio stack any day! Heck, even the Airbus A321 was easy to figure out compared to this...

The default G1000 does not support NDB navigation. Period.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest NeXTer

Really?! So why do the FSX docs talk about NDB then? Of course, if the implementation is as buggy as it seems to be, I guess that explains why it doesn't work...I hope the G1000 in FSX isn't representative of how a G1000 in a real aircraft works? Otherwise I'd like whoever distracted everyone with shiny glass panels and then went and removed this fundamental component of IFR navigation thrown out the door at high altitude...

Guest n99wb

"I hope the G1000 in FSX isn't representative of how a G1000 in a real aircraft works?"That is exactly what Bill L. is telling you.

NeXTer - I've got that same keyboard entry problem as you describe (two keys for every one you press). The other GPS units work great.Its only the G1000 that I have trouble with. Its locked up my system on a number of occassions. I've written to MS about it but I'll doubt they'll fix it. I'm hoping that Reality XP will come out with a replacement that actually works.As for NDB capability: I have never found a way to do it so, considering what the other replies are on this thread, I guess there is no way.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Guest NeXTer

Well, I guess I framed the question a bit poorly, then distracted myself with the response. What the G1000 does is to plot the GPS coordinates of the NDB without tuning the actual station, and if I understand the docs right, you should be able to call up the NDB with its station code as a waypoint from the library in the unit, right?So I guess we're back to the issue of a rediculously buggy implementation in FSX where the unit is unable to call up anything from the library because there's simply no way to tell it what to call up?Or is there anyone out there who's actually gotten the thing working as it's supposed to?

As previously mentioned, the MS Garmin isn't 100% representative of the real thing, as that would somewhat be a somewhat seperate simulation just itself.As to NDB's being fundamental for IFR operations; that's no longer so, within the USA, with a few restrictions. NDB's are being phased out & decommissioned. And why not! The basic NDB is "old school", considering a GPS can plot the coordinates, with a better visual representation of the desired track; as well as rising topography, etc. that surrounds the NDB location.Many new aircraft don't even include ADF's anymore, as they are ridiculously expensive for what they do. DME is going by-by too! :-hah L.Adamson

That is so true. Except, outside the US, including Europe, NDB is fairly common even today. I believe, to be IFR certified in Europe, an aircraft has to have an ADF.MAnny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Last time I did an Ndb approach was in 1991 on my ifr checkride ( maybe a few times later for practice but I'd never choose to do one when a gps/ils is available).We are going to remove our adf from our Baron-with an ifr certified gps and a Garmin 496 for backup along with the Faa getting rid of them there is really no reason to keep it -unless one wants to waver all over the sky with a quirky signal calculating bearings...it was challenging for sure. I'll take a gps/ils approach any day instead. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Say Goodbye to Hundreds of NDB Approaches From: AINalerts: July 7, 2005 Starting today, 216 NDB approaches will be decommissioned. Although the FAA has yet to actually switch them off the air, the decommissioned NDB stations will no longer be flight-checked, maintained, approved for use or shown on updated charts, according to AOPA.

Guest DreamFleet

For me, Geoff, it was 1976 on my IFR ride!We pulled the ADF out of the Dakota too, and put in a Strikefinder.When I need an NDB for whatever reason, I just use it via the GNS430; far more accurate (and I can couple it to the AP) than using the old ADF receiver. Put in the NDB's identifier, then either go direct to it, or use OBS mode for a particular course to/from it that you want to fly.Ultimately, even the real G1000 does not contain a traditional ADF radio receiver. There, as with the 430/530, the NDB just gets treated as another waypoint, fix, whatever. Once you use ADF via a GPS you won't go back to the old way! ;)Also, ya' gotta love those new LPV approaches. Recently flew one after getting the WAAS update done on the 430. It was really neat to see the GS needle start to move with no frequency tuned in anywhere!Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Like many have said the FSX G1000 is not 100% accurate to the real Aircraft but I can tell you this from a pilots perspective having over 50 hours in a Cessna 172S Nav III. The real G1000 system, at least the aircraft I have flown DO NOT have ADF/NDB functionality. You can still use the same principles of ADF navigation w/ a RMI which it is equipped with. I know its a far stretch to say its the same principles but essentially an RMI is just a movable card ADF w/ out the NDB station. RMI obviously uses VOR orientation. Cheers, Scott Comercial Pilot AMEL & ASEL Instrument Rating ------------------------------------

>>NeXTer - I've got that same keyboard entry problem as you>describe (two keys for every one you press). The other GPS>units work great.=SNIP-This "double key press" problem exists when you are attemptingto input data on the "expanded" view of the G1000.Use the G100o that is embedded in the panel when entering dataand you won't have the double key problem.If you MUST use the expanded panel, then you need to use themouse cursor on the knob assembly to backspace over the doubledcharacter, input the next and repeat. After the final key input, backspace that double key and hit "Enter". Tedious to be sure but it will work. Your best bet is to use the instruments onthe panel. With TrackIR I'm able to "zoom in" by leaning forwardso I can read the text and do the input operation.It can be a confusing instrument until you get used to moving from page to page and within pages to access the data. Patience is definately required :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg