Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nils79

VC windows raindrop fix

Guest cbuchner1

Once more the question: How can I recognize from the folderor file structure inside an aircraft folder that this is a GMAX created aircraft in an FS9 format?I don't currently know which aircraft I should try thisraindrop hack with. Of course none of the default aircraft that ship with FSX, I suppose ;)Christian

>>Once more the question: How can I recognize from the folder>or file structure inside an aircraft folder that this is a >GMAX created aircraft in an FS9 format?That's the simplest question to answer!The model folder of ALL] "true FSX SDK" models will contain TWO .mdl files: one for the _exterior and another for the _interior.If the model folder has only a single .mdl file, then is is definitely NOT an authentic FSX SDK model... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My Real Air SF260 has two .mdl files but the vc rain mod doesn't work with it while all my FSD aircraft have only one .mdl yet I have VC rain with those.The easiest way to check is to backup all your FSX VCRAIN****.BMP files then copy the FS9 versions to the main Texture folder and check each airplane with rainy weather conditions. I have found no adverse effects with the default and other payware aircraft using the FS9 or rlvcrain.zip files .

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

>My Real Air SF260 has two .mdl files but the vc rain mod>doesn't work with it while all my FSD aircraft have only one>.mdl yet I have VC rain with those.That's because the "VC Rain" only works with FS9 (those with ONE model file) models! :-wave

Fr. Bill    

>>My Real Air SF260 has two .mdl files but the vc rain mod>>doesn't work with it while all my FSD aircraft have only one>>.mdl yet I have VC rain with those.>>That's because the "VC Rain" only works with FS9 (those>with ONE model file) models!:-wave I misread your post...getting old! :-wave

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

>Thanks for your answer, Owen!>Is there a chance that we see someday for example a Twin>Comanche flying in DX10 mode of FSX and with working VC rain>effects?If the mechanism was in place to incorporate that within the model, perhaps, but the SDK does not specifically allow for such for native FSX models. HTH!Owen

Guest Nils79

>>Thanks for your answer, Owen!>>Is there a chance that we see someday for example a Twin>>Comanche flying in DX10 mode of FSX and with working VC rain>>effects?>>If the mechanism was in place to incorporate that within the>model, perhaps, but the SDK does not specifically allow for>such for native FSX models. HTH!>>Owen>Thanks again, Owen!I only had to google for "HTH" ;)I enjoy your Twin Comanche anyway :) 72072277kh1.jpgNils

Why is it so diffcult to develop this effect for fsx? It's a GMAX related problem?And this video:http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=IT#/watch?v=ivwzweKgWF4Is it only a special effect? Or is it FS9?737 from iFly doesn't have vc rain effect, owners said this.So for FSX we won't see any rain drops on future add-on? Pmdg 737 too?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Why is it so diffcult to develop this effect for fsx? It's a GMAX related problem?And this video:http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=IT#/watch?v=ivwzweKgWF4Is it only a special effect? Or is it FS9?737 from iFly doesn't have vc rain effect, owners said this.So for FSX we won't see any rain drops on future add-on? Pmdg 737 too?
Best reason as explained here.
There are certain things (controlled by shaders) that can NOT be modified in FSX when using DX9. Rain and Snow being one of them. In DX10 you CAN control the rain effect shader effect, because it is external (inside ShadersHLSL), unfortunately is not the case for DX9 and rain/snow, so you are out of luck here.
The PMDG 737 will not have VC rain drops as confirmed by them.There are some a/c that do have them built into the a/c model like the Lotus L-39, ORBX Lancair, a few RealAir products from what I understand.Basically, to get VC rain effects in FSX, it has to be built into the model of the aircraft due to the way FSX works versus the way FS9 did it.I cant believe thie thread is almost 4 years old, time passes so quick.

That's a shame. Such a great effect is left out by so many developers. The L-39 is a prime example of how it can be done. It's one of my favorite effects. I can't believe it was left out in IFly's 737. It almost made me ask for a refund. But, I really like the plane, so I'm sticking with it.I hope that they are added in a future update.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

That's a shame. Such a great effect is left out by so many developers. The L-39 is a prime example of how it can be done. It's one of my favorite effects. I can't believe it was left out in IFly's 737. It almost made me ask for a refund. But, I really like the plane, so I'm sticking with it.I hope that they are added in a future update.
That's a rather broad indictment of "so many developers" because it is based on erroneous and/or incomplete assumptions.For FS9, MS/ACES had a very simple and reliable mechanisim in the sim just for this purpose: chained animations. These were specially named files that -when detected by the sim- would display a sequence of 16 bitmaps for a/c stopped, and an alternate sequence of 16 bitmaps for a/c moving. The speed of the sequence for moving bitmaps was continuously variable based on airspeed. "Getting it to work" was very, very simple and straight forward! :( For FSX, MS/ACES had to remove the chained animation engine for FSX native models, because it was incompatible with the new, shader based system. Support for FS9 native models was left in place, but they didn't supply the necessary bitmaps in FSX for them to work... Oops! :( That is why folks running FSX have to download the required files from MS directly*, or copy/paste the 32 bitmaps from their FS9 ..\Texture folder before "vc rain" is restored to proper operation! B) To duplicate the "vc rain" a la L-39 and a handful of others requires that the modeler write a complete, custom system of his own, and create the 32 required bitmaps as well, because it would be a copyright violation to include the "default FS9 bitmaps" in his/her download package. The alternative would be to specify using the (non)default FS9 bitmaps, and require the customer to download and install the official MS released bitmaps manually, or copy/paste them from an existing FS9 installation. This latter approach is unlikely to make the customer very happy! B) Worse still, every bit of "glass mesh" would have to be duplicated an additional 32 times, increasing the size, complexity and performance hit on the model. For a small aircraft with only a single canopy it isn't that much of a hit, but for an airliner with many, many windows it would be!And now, as the late Paul Harvey would have said, you know the "rest of the story..." :(*NOTE: http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/tips/Pages/SupportAlertAdd-onAircraftCockpitsOpaqueintheRain.aspx

Fr. Bill    

Thanks to all guys, so we can hope that in MS Flight 2010 this effect will be restored in your opinion? New MSF2010 will use DX10 o 11?This effect give us more realism, and I think it's a must.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270