Sign in to follow this  
MatthewS

Does "SmallPartRejectRadius" work in FSX SP2?

Hi!Does the SmallPartRejectRadius=x.x work after installing Acceleration? I was wondering because I've placed some objects with 'Instant scenery' (from Flight1) around my hometown, a factory complex for instance. While I was running SP1, I used SmallPartRejectRadius=2.0 in the fsx.cfg and the buildnings would show more detail the closer you got to them. Now with Acceleration and SP2 installed the buildings show full detail regardless of the distance to them. This of course looks very good, but I've noticed a framratedrop and som stuttering when they come into view. Any ideas on this? Do I have to change the value in SmallPartRejectRadius to perhaps a higher number? I've tried 2.0 and 4.0 without noticing any difference. Thanks!/Magnus

Hi -first - I have no idea :)second - I hope you are onto something here because that would explain a lot. SmallPartRejectRadius was one of the most useful tweaks I found for SP1 and it got rid of blurries and black blocky textures and all kinds of things.Now with SP2, I've got blurries and some black blocky lights and VCs take forever to load.I dont know the answer to your question but it makes sense to me. (that it no longer works)

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Hmm... interesting! It would be great if perhaps someone from ACES could shed some light on this... it would be much appreciated! :-)/Magnus

It is possible that objects that are now batched ( and were not in SP1 ) are not respecting this setting.

Phil -Thank you for your response.I follow you a little.What are these objects that are now batched? autogen? runways? scenery buildings? AI traffic?can these objects be 'unbatched' by a switch in FSX config?Can I get a list of what things were changed by SP2? some are obvious like taxiwaymarkings but it is not at all obvious to me why making a few visual changes would cause a degredation in performance.I was able to make a flight in the Cessna last night without a CTD or hard reboot. I still have a variety of graphics glitches.I did install lower resolution textures from FEX and that helped a little but I still have blurries (which had gone away using SP1 and a few tweaks) and green runways and black blocks where lights should be. (also extremely rare with SP1 and tweaks)If there is a switch to revert batching (which I dont know what is) back to the way it was, that would be really helpful.thanks in advance for your help.EDIT: or maybe a switch to force a reduction in resolution prior to batching.I'm wondering if maybe the jobs that are 'in process' are locking out other things (like user input and certain graphics updates) and the jobs take longer because the smallpartrejectradius switch is being ignored??

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Thanks for the answer Phil! Is there a chance for a workaround? This was a very useful tweak, helped a lot with stuttering on my P4 3,6 with ATI X850 card. Thanks for a great sim! /Magnus

Shame about the SmallPartRejectRadius problem. Maybe a "hot fix"?In anycase, when I'm flying the LDS767 I have scenery on very sparse, and no autogen so I don't notice the problem. I'm getting 20 to 30 FPS in the LDS767 Virtual Cockpit a "crappy" 2yr old AMD 3500 1GB Ram, though it's got a shiny new 8800GT 512MB (nice GPU!)I'm very happy with Acceleration. Things seem much smoother!

Matthew S

Actually one other thing...For a future version of FS I think it would be nice feature if you could (optionally) imprint a screen shot with or copy to the clipboard the following information:-* OS version included SP installed* Hardware info like CPU,RAM,GPU,HardDisk* GPU driver version* FS Settings (eg graphics and sound)and so on.I think these things would be handy for debugging performance issues.

Matthew S