Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Runway skid marks

FS uses one texture file repeated several times down the length of each runway. The best runways are custom images for each section of runway laid down individually.To try Chris Arrington's AEU in FSX:1. Download AEU 7.0 from the library - aeu7.zip2. Rename the file runway12.dds and runway12_hw.dds in the main texture folder to .orig3. Copy the file runway12.bmp and runway12_hw.bmp from the Textures.zip of AEU to your FSX main texture folder.Runway12 is asphalt, Runway11 is concrete.That replaces the default file with Chris' AEU files.I have not tested this and I'm not certain if .bmp files will work.You may need to convert Chris' DXT3 .bmp files to DXT5 .dds files with DXTBMP available at http://fly.to/mwgfx/

Guest SkullxBones

I tried using his files for runway11 textures, but they are not quite formatted for FSX.Apparently FSX uses the lower 1/4 of the right side of the image to repeat the clean runway before skid marks, and the upper right 3/4 part is the main touchdown area. In the AEU7 file, the whole right side has skid marks and FSX repeats it making it look chopped up. I edited the file and got the skid marks in the correct pattern but it would take a lot of finessing to make it look acceptable. Hopefully someone with better photoshop skills will tackle the job someday.

Guest Regg001

I did the conversion to DDS of the files from AEU7. It does not give good results. The skid marks are theire, but run all the runway.I will try something starting with the original FSX files and see if something can be done. There's another file in FSX called runway_detail02.dds and it looks like tire marks.