Sign in to follow this  
scoob

American Airlines MD80

Guest cinedependent

I recently flew in an American MD80 from Florida to San Francisco with a short stop in Dallas.I really want to recreate that flight, but can't find a flyable American Airlines MD80, freeware, or payware. Any suggestions?Thanx,Timothy

TimothyThe Coolsky Super 80 published by Flight 1 is a great payware plane and there is a AA repaint available on Avsim. I've had it for a couple of months and its easily one of my favourites. Works with FS9 and FSX.Brent

Fabulous aircraft. Heartily concur.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest cinedependent

I notice there are several varients of the 80. the 82, 83... The one on which I flew has an engine right next to my window seat. Thank the gods for my noise cancelling headphones. I will check out this package when I get some money. Flat broke at the moment. Was hoping for a freeware version.

HelloTry thishttp://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=FL1-S80-002With theseFilename: aa_super80.zipLicense: FreewareAdded: 20th December 2005Downloads: 1824Author: Flight 1, Jordan DuVallSize: 2614kbFilename: f1_super80_aal_v2.zipLicense: FreewareAdded: 1st September 2006Downloads: 653Author: John Patterson, Flight1/CoolSkySize: 2088kb

Guest cinedependent

Both of those repaints are for fs9. Is there an FSX version or do I need to convert them by hand? I'm not very good at that as seen in my version of the virgin 737-800, albeit I did that from scratch.I also am having trouble downloading from AVsim for some reason. I'm not sure why.

It is my understanding that the Flight1/Coolsky Super 80 represents an MD-80 from about 1979. As such it has no FMC. Is this correct, that it has no FMC?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

rhett:correct, the coolsky MD80 has no FMC. the ONS system is well modeled. there is no 'fancy' navigation display. you need to program waypoints using lat/lon, no waypoints and names (you can import FS9 and FSX .pln files). there is no AIRAC database. you have a climb, descent and engine performance computers. think of this setup as being DOS, where a modern aircraft runs windows. lots of fun to program and fly - NOT an aircraft that you push buttons and let the computers do all the work. the pilot is flying this aircraft ... which makes the sim a lot of fun!!some MD80 facts -* the '80' name comes from the proposed in-service date (ie, 1980).* the first MD80 is the MD81 (what coolsky has modeled). the MD81 is really a DC-9-81.* program launched aug. 1977.* first flight MD81 18 oct. 1979.* first delievery (swissair) 13 sept. 1980.source: the vital guide to commerical aircraft and airliners (2nd ed.), 2000, hewson r. (ed), airlife pub. ltd (england)--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

> the ONS system is well>modeled. Ah, I assume this is some sort of intertial navigation system?My question is, in today's MD-80 ops, such as American Airlines now has, have these aircraft been retrofitted with an FMC? Or are they still using this 'ONS' system? If you do not know, that is fine, but I thought you might ;)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I'll vouch for that too. It's the second most absorbing simulation to the PMDG Queen.

Dave Taylor gb.png

I would vote for this wholeheartedlyhttp://www.flythemaddog.com/ TOTAL simulation of the aircraft ,including the FMC plus the added bonus of full cockpit sharing mode.Its my new favourite aircraft for fsx/fs9.If you dont fly this as per real world , it WILL bite you :-)There is also an american repaint btwBill P

>> the ONS system is well>>modeled. >>Ah, I assume this is some sort of intertial navigation>system?>The ONS and PMS working together perform most of the functions of a current day FMC.Whether it uses inertial or automatic VOR-VOR navigation I can't tell (maybe the manual mentions it, I've not gotten around to reading all of it).>My question is, in today's MD-80 ops, such as American>Airlines now has, have these aircraft been retrofitted with an>FMC? Or are they still using this 'ONS' system? If you do>not know, that is fine, but I thought you might ;)>Most have probably been retrofitted with more modern avionics over the years (or replaced with aircraft that have more modern avionics).Would depend on a cost/benefit tradeoff of course.