•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
- - - - -

FSX Tools Menu

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Inactive Member_fsxmissionguy_***

Inactive Member_fsxmissionguy_***
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:57 AM

Richie,It's no problem ... I took no offense. I just wanted to give you some background so you'd feel comfortable registering there.There's lots of places on the internet that I wouldn't register, so I know how you feel.Cheers,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 Inactive Member_richie1935_***

Inactive Member_richie1935_***
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:56 PM

Hi fsxmissionguy,Sorry if you mis-understood and I apologize if it came across in a different light than it was intended. No offense intended. After reading the information you provided I will be registering in the next few days. I myself am a novice but have had Flight Sim since the old SubLogic days and even have the plotter & Navigation tables item that was provided with the program.I have fun flying all kinds of aircraft including my Navion. Thanks for the help you gave me and I did find something on the FS Developer site covering the exact subject of the Tools Menu which I saved in my FSX SDK folder for future reference.Regards,Richie

#3 Inactive Member_fsxmissionguy_***

• Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

Richie,You wrote: "This link leads me to a site where I have to register and I do not want to do that because I do not know anything about that site. Sorry."That's cool. To give you some background, this is a site where hundreds of developers like yourself meet and provide help to each other about things like enabling the dev tools. It's a community of developers and other people who are passionate about making missions for FSX.We require registration, just like AVSIM does, and just like every other internet site does, to keep the spammers and phishers out of our forums. It's unfortunate, but required to be on the internet today. For instance, you had to register at AVSIM to make this post. You can register anonymously, and we don't collect any personal information. There is no registration moderation, and it takes about 2 seconds to complete.I like FSX and the missions and couldn't find many on the internet to download, so started making my own, many of which I give away free.I started, and pay for the hosting of http://www.flightsim...orxmissions.com to provide developers like yourself with a community to meet in, and consumers a place to download the fruits of our labor - free missions. We originally met at another site, but that site was abandoned by its developer, so a few of us decided to create a new site for mission developers.Good luck to you. And happy devving.Cheers,

#4 Inactive Member_richie1935_***

• Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

Bill,Well, Well, wonders will never end. The Tool menu is now displayed. I got fouled up because the SDK-SP2 is labeled as SDK.msi and I did not see that it was the correct version to update to SP2, until I checked the properties to verify it. Everything is now working thanks to your input and valuable information. I will have to watch and keep the updates correct in the future.Again thanks for your valuable time and input.Regards,Rich

#5 Inactive Member_richie1935_***

• Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

Hi Bill,I will load the SDK-SP2 and see what happens. Keep you posted. Thanks again,Regards,Richie

#6 n4gix

n4gix

Forum Moderator

• 12,074 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 23 Days Ago.

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

>Hi Bill,>According to my registry, I have FSX+SP2 and FSX SDK+SP1A>installed.Richie, in that case you MUST install FSX SDK2 so that the versions will match... ;)There are significant differences between the tools in the SDK, so we must keep the versions synchronized... :-halo

Fr. Bill     us.png

Global Moderator

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

"It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading." (Shin'a'in Proverb)

avsim_logo_small-100x50.png

#7 Inactive Member_richie1935_***

• Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

Hi Bill,According to my registry, I have FSX+SP2 and FSX SDK+SP1A installed.Having the audio ability to split the audio source between my speakers and Microsoft USB headset confirms the FSX+SP2 installation is active. Also the Add-Ons menu is displayed in the upper menu bar just not the Tools. Did you see any discrepancy in the screen shots I emailed?Regards,Richie

#8 n4gix

n4gix

Forum Moderator

• 12,074 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:37 PM

>I completely un-installed the SDK's and then re-installed the>original and installed the SP1A as per instructions. >>To provide more detail, I would need to know what version>you>>are attempting to end up with ... there are four possible>>versions.Rich, you missed the point...What version of FSX do you have installed?1. FSX RTM (original DVD only)2. FSX + SP13. FSX + SP24. FSX + AccelerationThe version of FSX determines which version of the SDK that you need to have installed!Since you said that FSUIPC shows up in the menu bar, it's clear that your dll.xml file is being found.

Fr. Bill     us.png

Global Moderator

"It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading." (Shin'a'in Proverb)

#9 Inactive Member_richie1935_***

• Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

famissionguy,Thanks for your reply which is appreciated.>A detailed tutorial on enabling the FSX development tools is>available here:>>http://www.flightsim...=viewtopic&t=66>This link leads me to a site where I have to register and I do not want to do that because I do not know anything about that site. Sorry.>The most likely cause of your problem, based on your post, is>a mismatch in the order you installed the SDK and the service>packs.>I completely un-installed the SDK's and then re-installed the original and installed the SP1A as per instructions. >To provide more detail, I would need to know what version you>are attempting to end up with ... there are four possible>versions.>What I want to happen is for the TOOLS menu to display on the top menu line. I am trying to activate the Object Placement and the Traffic Tool Box. I hope this answers the question adequately.>Cheers,Thanks for your time and efforts,Regards,Richie1935

#10 Inactive Member_fsxmissionguy_***

• Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

A detailed tutorial on enabling the FSX development tools is available here:http://www.flightsim...=viewtopic&t=66The most likely cause of your problem, based on your post, is a mismatch in the order you installed the SDK and the service packs.To provide more detail, I would need to know what version you are attempting to end up with ... there are four possible versions.Cheers,

#11 Inactive Member_richie1935_***

• Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:49 AM

Hi MeshMan,Thanks for your reply. I guess that is my old age showing because I should have not stated that I changed it to read True, what I should have stated that I changed it from True to False like the SDK states to do. It still is not showing up. My addon menu displays for FSUIPC, so FSX sees that item. Just cannot get tools menu to display.Your response is appreciated.Thanks again,Richie1935

#12 meshman

meshman

100% all natural

• Members
  • 1,830 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 3 Months and 2 Days Ago.

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:15 AM

If your dll.xml file reads "False to read True for both" then the items will not show. Disabled = True means they are turned off. Disabled = False means they are turned on.

#13 Inactive Member_richie1935_***

• Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

Bill,I tried that suggestion to no avail. I will email you the screen shots to show the location of the files. When I installed the SDK I stated for all users but the FSX file only shows up under my Richard file.Regards,Rich

#14 Inactive Member_richie1935_***

• Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

Hi Bill,Thanks for the response. I will try that and let you know what happens.Regards,Rich

#15 n4gix

n4gix

Forum Moderator

• 12,074 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:16 PM

I was only able to get the FSX Tools to display after I removed all spaces from the path:E:FSX_SDK Traffic Toolbox False False E:FSX_SDKSDKEnvironment KitTraffic Toolbox SDKtraffictoolbox.dll Also, make certain that you are editing the copy of dll.xml that's in your UsernameApplication Data folder...

Fr. Bill     us.png

Global Moderator

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!