Sign in to follow this  
Toys_R_Us

You CAN use FSNav with FSX !

Like many ex FSNav users, I have been frustrated by its FS9-only use, until now. I know a few others have their computers set up as described below, but I couldn't find a definitive explanation anywhere about how to do this, so I thought some FSNav fans might find this useful. Please note that I am writing this as a user, not a developer, and I have no vested interest in, or commercial connection with, any of the software mentioned below.This guide describes how to set up FSX and FSNav on two network-linked computers.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Preamble: I've looked at various current flightplanner/moving map software and some of it is very good. However, I like FSNav's simple and elegant map, planner and presentation, which is crystal clear and very easy to use. To use FSNav and FSX at the same time you need two separate computers set up in the following way:On computer 1 (The Host computer)--------------------------------------FSX InstalledA licensed or time-limited demo of of Wideview for FSX (server enabled)On Computer 2 (the Client computer)---------------------------------------FS9 installedA licensed copy of FSNavigatorA copy of Wideview for FS9 (Client enabled)Note: You only have to pay for one copy of Wideview - The server FSX version - the FS9 client version is free.You can get wideview from www.wideview.itWideview connects both networked computers through a clever way. I believe it uses simconnect on the host FSX machine and a gauge on the client/FS9 aircraft which somehow is configured to communicate with the host machine. The two wideview installers set up both FSX and FS9 painlessly without any need for the user to go through complicated networking or simconnect settings found on some other map software. This to me is a really excellent point in its favour.To set up your two computers as a network, you need either a wireless or hard wired LAN connection. All you have to do is assign a separate IP address for each computer and then let each one know what the other's IP address is. You can get tons of information about this from your XP or Vista help files or wizards, or on networking advice websites.Once your network is set up and you are sure it is working, install the FS9 Wideview software to FS9 and the FSX Wideview Software to FSX. Note: It is a good idea to first setup FS9 with a default flight with low scenery detail and the joystick disabled, and it is best to do this before you use FS9 and FSNav or run the wideview software.Next, establish a "Shared" folder on either computer for storing flightplans that can be accessed or saved to by FSNav, FSX and FS9. When the wideview installers have installed the FSX version to FSX and the FS9 version to FS9, first start up FSX. Click on the menu "Addons" and designate the FSX wideview configuration as "Server". You will be prompted to restart FSX. Do so. Next, go to your client (FS9) computer and under the start/program menu find "Wideview for FS2004" (without yet starting FS9) then click on the configuration icon. A window pops up with a list of all your installed aircraft in FS9. In order to keep FS9 running with FSNav as efficiently as possible, pick a small default aircraft in which to install the Client gauge that communicates with the other (FSX) computer. The default Cessna 172 in FS9 is a good choice. Highlight that aircraft and then designate it as a "Client" aircraft. Wideview will then install a special gauge into the panel cfg of the FS9 C172.Next, close the FS9 wideview config app. Do not start FS9 yet. Next, with FSX running but not FS9, load a flight in FSX with any aircraft (note: the aircraft you choose in FSX and FS9 do not have to be the same, and in fact it is better that the FS9 machine loads a smaller, more frame rate friendly aircraft.) Once you have loaded the FSX aircraft, go to the location you wish then start wideview. Next, on the other computer start up FS9 and load exactly the same C172 you chose as the client in the Wideview configuration for FS9 then go to its 2d Main Panel, NOT the VC. In that 2d view you should see a large Switch at the top left of the screen. Turn it to "ON" and you should now be connected to the FSX computer. You can confirm this by the fact that the FS9 aircraft immediately locates itself to the same location as the FSX aircraft, albeit with different looking scenery. Next, on the FS9 computer press the key to start FSNav. After a short time FSNav will load and VOILA!, the FSX aircraft will show up on the map at exactly the right location. If you now take off and fly around in FSX you will see that FSNav follows the FSX aircraft exactly as it does when you are running FS9 alone. For the duration of the connection, FS9/FSNav will not show its own aircraft path, but the path your FSX aircraft is following. If you "disconnect" then the FS9 aircraft gains its autonomy and you can fly it independently of FSX.Note: FS9's Wideview is configured in Windows before you start up FS9, and is started by a switch in the 2d cockpit of the client aircraft after you have started FS9 and loaded that aircraft. In FSX it is different: Wideview for FSX is both configured and started with FSX running, by choosing the "Addon" menu then Wideview/Start. It is important to remember that the two different versions of Wideview are configured in opposite ways!Now to the flightplanning:---------------------FSX will read FSNav's flightplans provided you first convert them to the FS format (xxxxx.pln). On the FS9 machine with the FSNav page in view, construct a plan in the normal FSNav way (by right clicking on a departure airport and subsequent waypoints then "send to Flightplan"). When you have all your waypoints set, save a safety copy of the plan in FSnav's format and save it to your SHARED network folder which you setup previously. This shared folder should be part of the network shared access and can be placed on either computer. Next, in FSNav EXPORT the same plan to the Shared folder and pick FS2004 as the format. The export process will save the plan into the Shared folder in the FS-native .pln format.Next, in FSX go to the flightplanner menu and then "LOAD". Browse your way to the Shared folder and load the exported .pln you made in FSNav. Your flight plan is now loaded into FSX and if you fly the plan, FSNav on the client computer will follow the flight in exactly the same way as it does when you use it without a network in FS9.Restrictions, issues and possible bugs:1. While FSNav will follow the flightplan, some of its advanced features will not work as they did when running FS9 alone. 2. Occasionally I got lockups in FS9 and this could be for a number of reasons. One could be the priority with which wideview sets itself up. I think you can alter this on either machine.3. If you try to use the spot plane view in FS9 it will jitter and be unstable. However the normal cockpit view is fine, not that you will need it because the whole point of this is to keep FSNav in view! I hope FSNav fans will find this useful. Reading it probably gives the impression that this is complicated to setup. But it isn't. Just follow each step one by one and you should get things working quite quickly.With Best Wishes,Rob Young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

It's hard to believe that someone, including Microsoft (Aces), hasn't bought up FSNavigator, and integrated it for use in FSX. I have always felt that it should be a module in the raw FS program as purchased, much like the "top down" view is. The MAP in FSX is so twinky, it can't even be self-windowed and undocked, rendering it rather useless. If MS wants new and inexperienced users, they should start right there.But FSNav was truly a great piece of work and really enhanced the FS experience, even at a casual flight level. It's simple "fly to" and "move to" features were extremely handy. I just installed FlightSim Commander 8.3, and in many ways it is very nice. In fact, in several ways it is even better. And with a little work by the developer it could be another FSNavigator. I hope that happens, but they will have to START by getting it working in full screen mode.With many of the new add-on's only working in windowed mode, maybe that's not possible. I really don't know.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshLogitech G15 Backlit Game Keyboard and18 Programmable Macro/Keystroke KeysAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II w/16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)Dual Flat Panel Monitors

I totally agree as to how dandy a program FSNav is. I still use it often in FS9. However, at times I must confess that I use FSC as well.Concerning FSC and "They will have to START by getting it working in full screen mode", I am afraid I am at a loss and do not understand the problem. It works equally well for me in either windowed mode (which I confess I personally prefer), or in the full screen mode. I see no difference. It is a stand alone program. I have done nothing special outside of the standard installation. Respectfully:RTH

I think that Bob's comment applies to this comment in the FSC manualImportant: You should bear in mind that FLIGHTSIM COMMANDER is a stand-alone program which will run at the same time as Flight Simulator when the two are connected. Therefore you need Windows' multitasking capability for simultaneously running more than one program. As a consequence, you cannot run Flight Simulator in full-screen mode (Alt-Enter) on a single monitor if you want Flight Simulator and FLIGHTSIM COMMANDER to be connected to each other.--Tom________[a href=http://www.corpairamerica.com]http://mysite.verizon.net/tjrush/tjrcaasig.jpg[/a]

Tom

Correct me if I'm wrong, because it's been awhile, but it is my recollection that one could hot-key (F9 or F11 I think) to FSNavigator in fullscreen mode, and it could then be undocked and slid over to monitor two, leaving monitor one fully uncluttered in fullscreen mode.Since monitor two is just an extention of the desktop, it now goes blank in fullscreen mode, and I have found no way to make FSC visable at that point without hitting Alt-Enter and dropping back to windowed mode. Am I missing something? Undocked FSX windows can of course be dragged over to monitor two in fullscreen mode just like I think I remember FSNavigator doing.Now, in my case I am using a new and very bright Acer 24 inch flat panel monitor. Always a fan of large CRT's this thing blows those old CRT's right out of the water. I'll never go back. The color and contrast are spectacular. I am running a top quality and large 21 inch CRT right beside this computer so this is in direct comparison several times every day. In fact there isn't any comparison at all, so when I go to the Screenshot Forum, it's only on this computer. But what I'm leading up to is that fullscreen mode is dramatically better than windowed mode on my rig with all that high quality video output. And the difference is like night and day. Also, nighttime flying is dramatically better in fullscreen mode, due to border brightness annoyances with one's eyes. I like to do my nighttime flying in a pitch black room with as little extra light as possible. That's why I use an illuminated keyboard. FSNavigator took this into account, and went to a dark background based on the time of the flight.So, based on what I know about FSC right now, this is a major drawback. If there's a way (besides networking with Wide FS) tell me. All that networking stuff is not for me at this point. Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshLogitech G15 Backlit Game Keyboard and18 Programmable Macro/Keystroke KeysAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)Dual Flat Panel Monitors

Ahhhh.That makes sense. I assumed that because Bob's specs included dual flat screen monitors that he was useing FSC on a secondary monitor (yea, I know about assuming). I never tried it on a single monitor setup. It works flawlessly as near as I can tell both off of a secondary monitor connected to my primary video card, and on a third or fourth monitor off of a secondary card.One thing I do like about FSC is that it will export flight plans directly to the LDS767 or PMDG aircraft FMC's.Thanks for the clarification.RTH

RTH You open up a whole new can of worms for me and something I had not even thought about. First let me say that I have a brand new NVidia video card sitting in a box, that was never used. I just took the card that came with this new machine out, and installed a new one that I ordered from TigerDirect.com. That way I ended up getting a free video card over paying Cyberpower's inflated price for the same upgrade. It's an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express.My questions are these.1. Given that I have a slot (which I do), can I put this in along with my NVidia 8800 that's in there now ?2. Will it provide a new and second desktop, or will that just end up being a further extension of the first desktop.3. Given an answer "yes" to 1 and 2 above, Will FSC then still connect with FSC from the second desktop.Given a yes to all three, this would solve the problem and really be the best answer to this shortcoming. I've even got a couple of extra monitors lying around. Edit Note....On an unrelated note, while trying to answer my own questions in Google, I came upon this little jewel after reading of it in a TOP 10 Windows Tricks article.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896652.aspxhttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896645.aspxBob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshLogitech G15 Backlit Game Keyboard and18 Programmable Macro/Keystroke KeysAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)Dual Flat Panel Monitors