Sign in to follow this  
Guest fbnweoghnwd

Zoom setting for 2D cockpit - FSX

Guest fbnweoghnwd

In FSX, is there a way to specify the default zoom level that comes up in the 2D cockpit when a user first loads the aircraft? I've seen some aircraft that have a line like this in the panel.cfg: VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=0.500But this has no effect in tests I've done...the view in the 2D cockpit always defaults to 1.0.-Mick

Either make adjustments to the "default camera.cfg" file located in the same folder as your fsx.cfg file......or add a "custom camera" definition to your aircraft.cfg file.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest fbnweoghnwd

I'd like to alter the default zoom that comes up when the end user loads the aircraft, so editing the fsx.cfg file wouldn't be an option. I could try making a custom camera definition, but then I'd be adding a new default zoom instead of altering the existing one. If I'm not mistaken, this would leave me with two 2D cockpit views, and the old one would still come up when the user hits F10.

If FSX is blocking unrealistic zooms in the 2D cockpit view, that can only be a good thing, in my view.Cheers,Glenn

>If I'm not mistaken, this would leave me>with two 2D cockpit views, and the old one would still come up>when the user hits F10.You are mistaken... Adding a "custom camera" to any FSX aircraft.cfg will simply tell the sim to use the "custom camera configuration" INSTEAD OF the one in the default, cameras.cfg file:{CameraDefinition.001} // replace with "square brackets!"Title = CockpitGuid = {B1386D92-4782-4682-B137-738E25D1BAB5} // change a few numbers randomlyDescription = This is the description of the cockpit viewOrigin = CockpitShowPanel = YesSnapPbhAdjust = OrdinalSnapPbhReturn = TruePanPbhAdjust = OrdinalPanPbhReturn = TrueTrack = NoneShowAxis = FrontOnlyAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 1.0 // set your prefered initial zoom here!SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = CockpitHotKeySelect=2

Fr. Bill    

Guest fbnweoghnwd

Thanks Bill. Things are real hectic now, but I'll try it out as soon as I get a chance.

Guest jprintz

Bill, I'm confused. You always know what you're talking about, so I must be missing something here. I cannot get this to work so that the default 2D view (in camera.cfg) is ignored. I'd be happy with it just no longer being the default, even. I CAN add an alternative 2D cockpit view no problem, with the desired settings, but it must be cycled to. I've done lots of experimenting... GUID's, definition numbers, etc... many hours worth... but still the initial "default" 2D panel always reverts to zoom 1.0. Surely, now that VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM is not available to us, there is some other way to default to a different zoom in the 2D panel??

Well, I usually know what I'm talking about According to both ACES and the SDK this should work......unfortuntely, it doesn't. :*

Fr. Bill    

Guest jprintz

Yeah, perplexing. Thanks for your help, still. It's strange, because in the SDK, under "what is new for developers," the first 2 entries are:-Customizing the behavior of the default cameras. -Removing default cameras from the main cycle.That's what I want to do!!! (Especially the 2nd.) It should be the most basic and natural of things, but it seems it's not documented, beyond actual editing of the cameras.cfg file. Arrrgghhhh.....

1 year later, I come with the same question. I created a new camera definiton, as Bill suggested, but I don't know how to make it the default camera, used when the aircraft is loaded. And I don't want to change the default camera.cfg because I don't want to change the zoom factor for all aircrafts.Eric

I hope you understand that changing the zoom of the 'out the window' view in 2D will throw off the visual distance representation of objects.I can honestly think of no reason that the 2D panel's view should ever be changed from a 1.0 zoom.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

It is just a matter of personal feeling. Like in FS204, I think that a zoom factor of 0.8 is more realistic, gives a better feeling of the environment and more, a better feeling of speed.Eric

In this forum there's an extremely long thread discussing this... and despite your thoughts, the base math disagrees.All visual representation is off when you change the zoom in the 2D window. I wish I had a link to the post, it goes into great depth and detail regarding this very topic and ultimately it says publishing a panel that isn't at a 1.0x zoom sets the end user up for an unrealistic view.Now, I'm not saying you're planning on publishing a panel that way... just explaining why I asked. ;)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69