Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

Sbuilder 2.01, BLNs, and missing airport masks...VTP layer?

Back to the resource - you guys!I'm importing Slarti-generated BLN files into sbuilder, and I'm having some issues with the resulting scenery. First, I used SBuilder to select VTP lines I wanted to make nice white sand beaches from, using the default import settings (except for texture) which means the VTP shores were set to layer 7. The resulting BGLs cause all airport masks (those grassy polygons) in the region to disappear. The beaches aren't even necessarily close to the airport, though the resulting bgl spans the whole region. I assumed it was because they were on layer 7 also. I have yet to change to layer 8 and recompile...but:More recently, I've tried to make some VTP polygonal islands using the same. Those are set to layer 4. That scenery also seems to cause the loss of airport masks, raising the possibility that my assuption regarding the layer 7 conflict might not be the problem, but some generic problem with the program, the compiler, or the user (most likely ;))...any thoughts for me? Maybe I just need to have my VTPs - lines and polygons alike - on a higher layer =>8?To test if it's an sbuilder problem, is there some other scenery program that will import blns?I'm using Sbuilder 2.01 with SCASM 2.96.Thanks in advance!sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi Scott,Have you maybe added an exclude as well? If that exclude removes layer 7 then that is the reason of the grass dissapearing. Which layer you place your other elements at does not really matter anymore then.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Howdy Scott,not sure about those specific issues though I guess it has to be a stray exclude as Arno points out. Just wanted to say that I find the default layering levels way too restrictive and use my own system, which includes multiple layers for most elements. For example, I have up to four different layers for roads, which gives much better results at intesections. Similarly, I use two different layers for shorelines in areas where I have to work with overlapping water polygons.The common argument against this approach is that it makes it more difficult for other developers to exclude parts of my landscape add-ons. However, I provide full documentation fo layering in my read-me files.As an example, here's the layer numbers I used for my new Columbia River Gorge files:VTP2 lines16 - utility corridors17 - shorelines I20 - shorelines II21 - streams22 - railroads, minor roads, and piers23 - minor roads24 - primary roads25 - highways26 - road bridges27 - railroad bridgesVTP2 polygons 5 - various natural and man-made texture types that overlap water bodies10 - Mt Hood ski area grassy base11 - Mt Hood ski area forest patches12 - settlements13 - airport aprons14 - gravel pits15 - hydro dams concrete textures16 - lava flows17 - islands in rivers and lakes18 - golf coursesCheers, Holger

Guest luissa

Scott,In addition to what has been said you should know about a parameter that SBuilder refers to as "Replace/Coexist".This applies to VTP features and when it is set to replace, all "layer number 7" VTP items (your airport polygons?) that exist in Areas visited by the new "layer number 7" items (your new shorelines) are excluded (replaced!). Please consider the revision of your layer numbers using Holger's advice.Regards, Luis

That might be it, Luis!Thanks for the info - gang. It can't be a stray exclude. First, I have none in my scenery, and second, I select only polygons for the bgl compile...I'll look for the replace-coexist parameter. Is it in the ini, or someplace easier to find?Thanks for that list holger - printing, holes, into the notebook!Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Found it, Luis - pref's other options tab.I'll give it a go!Best,sg